Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    It's quite interesting but hard going. Not the most enjoyable of reads!
    Genes interest me quite a lot, so hopefully I won't find it that boring :laugh:

(Original post by ChessMister)
    My "Genome" (copy of) arrived today; it has rekindled my aversion for Biology. I tried reading "On the Origin of Species" also, but gave up when I realised I was willing to take evolution for granted. Good luck with the RD. Grapes.
    I've got that book as well :p: Read it, it's actually really interesting, got me quite interested into Eugenics as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BMAT)
    i've not been doing either revision tbh

very little, i'm only starting to crank up the gear

what kind of voluntary, or work experience have you been participating in?
    I've done a 2 week work experience in London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine looking at causes of aggressive behaviour and physical and emotional effects of violence. I've done a 2 day medical placement at Oxford University, with Professor John Stein and how dyslexia is treated using deep brain stimulation, also had a chance to see a patient with Parkinson’s disease. I've done a week hospital placement at Queen's Hospital and shadowed a doctor....(i can go on to say what i've learnt from this but ill make this post brief), i'm doing a clerical assistant job at a local surgery next week, i'm doing an international work experience in Bangladesh at a hospital there for a month, thanks to my uncle for that, and i might shadow doctors for another week at Queen's when i have free time, my doctor really liked me and said i can come shadow him again if i want.

ReputationRep:
    Out of the 4 sections...i really really need to improve on timing on Quantitative reasoning, and Abstract reasoning.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhetoric)
    Cool have you read any of the isc medical interview book? the answers to each question seem impossibly well structured- are real answers anything like that?
    I've not read that but I've recently been given it and it does seem like a good book though I've only read a few pages Erm I tried to think of loads of questions they could ask me and planned out what I'd say but I never actually stuck to it. I just said what I thought at the time. Thing with those books is that if you end up answering them like the book does it might seem fake whereas I just spoken from my mind and the way I explained things they could tell it was my own, if that makes sense - In my feedback letter I was rated excellent or very good for most bits in the interview so I musta said something good

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student from Hong Kong. Which medical school(s) should I choose?
    Any recommendation ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanchunyu12)
    I am an international student from Hong Kong. Which medical school(s) should I choose?
    Any recommendation ?
    Depends entirely on you, your academic abilities etc.

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendation ?
    Are you going to apply to HKU Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    is anyone going to use the isc medical - how to write a perfect personal statement ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aqua05)
    is anyone going to use the isc medical - how to write a perfect personal statement ??
    Waste of money IMO - there are loads of free resources online (such as the tsr medicine wiki) if you can be bothered to find any. A personal statement should be personal.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    Waste of money IMO - there are loads of free resources online (such as the tsr medicine wiki) if you can be bothered to find any. A personal statement should be personal.:yep:
    Yeah i was planning on buying it, and the interview book too, but then i decided not to, it'd be much more better if i wrote everything from my own point rather than use books that answer questions for you...

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody going to talk about what they've learnt from a-level subjects etc in their personal statement? I was thinking of putting this, but then i thought, wouldn't it just be a waste of a paragraph, if they want to know what i did at a-level they can just go look at my grades right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalDoom)
    Is anybody going to talk about what they've learnt from a-level subjects etc in their personal statement? I was thinking of putting this, but then i thought, wouldn't it just be a waste of a paragraph, if they want to know what i did at a-level they can just go look at my grades right?
    At our college we were advised to write a paragraph about our subjects and what we've learnt from them regarding medicine. I tied mine into work experience to do with ethics and such (but you have only got 4,000 characters so you won't want a load of unecessary words - i had to cut mine from 7,000 to 4,000... its a hard job!)

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendation ?
    Problem Based Learning or Traditional (lecture based) or both?
    Location?
    UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    Problem Based Learning or Traditional (lecture based) or both?
    Location?
    UKCAT?
    You decided on which unis you're applying to yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    You decided on which unis you're applying to yet?
    Hull-York
    Barts & le Londres*
    Liverpool
    Newcastle/Sheffield*

*= UKCAT permitting
    (I was going to apply to Cambridge, but you need 3 sciences, or 2 and maths :bandit:)

wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Hull-York
    Barts & le Londres*
    Liverpool
    Newcastle/Sheffield*

*= UKCAT permitting
    (I was going to apply to Cambridge, but you need 3 sciences, or 2 and maths :bandit:)

wbu?
    Haha love how you use French

And I think Cambridge, UCL, Kings (UKCAT permitted), and perhaps Nottingham, haven't decided on the 4th option.

And oh right I see, didn't know about their requirements How did AS exams go?

ReputationRep:
    Hull-York
    Barts & le Londres*
    Liverpool
    Newcastle/Sheffield*

*= UKCAT permitting

wbu?
    Replace Liverpool and Sheffield with the UEA and Leicester and we're applying to the same places!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    The book for interview is useful, just to give you an idea of what sort of questions. i got 3 interviews. I got offers from the 2 that I used the book for, and then rejected from the one I didn't. I didn't use the personal statement one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseppea)
    Replace Liverpool and Sheffield with the UEA and Leicester and we're applying to the same places!
    I have just received an alert from authorities in Hull and York. Packs of wolverines are expected in the aforementioned cities from September, and they are expected to stay for a few years at least. Perhaps it would be better if you changed your choice ? (a wolverine killed my granddad, torn his face off, wouldn't like to see it happen to anyone else)
    graw
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I have just received an alert from authorities in Hull and York. Packs of wolverines are expected in the aforementioned cities from September, and they are expected to stay for a few years at least. Perhaps it would be better if you changed your choice ? (a wolverine killed my granddad, torn his face off, wouldn't like to see it happen to anyone else)
    graw
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Trying to take out the competition by exploiting the UK wolverine outbreak :rolleyes: that's loooow man

But hey, we're all friends here right?!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.