Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseppea)
    Trying to take out the competition by exploiting the UK wolverine outbreak :rolleyes: that's loooow man

But hey, we're all friends here right?!
    We are all friends; we must be if we are to defeat los wolverinos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanchunyu12)
    I am an international student from Hong Kong. Which medical school(s) should I choose?
    Any recommendation ?
    Dude im from Hong Kong as well!
    I'm going to apply to uni both back home and here.. you?

ReputationRep:
    howdy all, 2011 reject :/
    applied
    UCL-interview-rejection
    Bristol-interview-rejection
    Imperial-rejection
    Birmingham-rejection

Just wondering....is their any possible way that I could get in this year? I'm pretty sure a levels went v. well minimum AAA......

ReputationRep:
    what else are you guys including in your personal statement ?
    what do unis usually look at ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aqua05)
    what else are you guys including in your personal statement ?
    what do unis usually look at ?
    Depends where you apply, Oxbridge want academic stuff, I hear others are very big on extra curriculars and some want a lot of care and work experience, you have to check each uni's requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Depends where you apply, Oxbridge want academic stuff, I hear others are very big on extra curriculars and some want a lot of care and work experience, you have to check each uni's requirements.
    LOOOL oxbridge is defi not my thing..
    Well.. i'm looking for unis which really depend upon extra-curriculars.. coz i got it all..i guess..
    well.. where are you applying ?
    Started your PS ?
    Goood Luckk !

ReputationRep:
    is anyone planning to study medicine abroad here ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about using a company called One 2 One Medicine to help me with my application to Cambridge Medical School. Was just wondering if anyone had used them? I like the idea of getting my own tutor to help me with my personal statement. That way it remains my own but I can get advice on what Cambridge are looking for at the same time. What do you guys think.

Becca
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca.smith1990)
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about using a company called One 2 One Medicine to help me with my application to Cambridge Medical School. Was just wondering if anyone had used them? I like the idea of getting my own tutor to help me with my personal statement. That way it remains my own but I can get advice on what Cambridge are looking for at the same time. What do you guys think.

Becca
    xx
    That's pretty good I'm gonna get all my teachers to go through my personal statement, and also a 4th-year doctor friend i have at my local hospital (he studied at imperial)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca.smith1990)

Becca
    xx
    Having just looked as the website to escape physics revision I'm slightly skeptical.
    A lot of what they offer is available on forums like this for free. Also, you have to remember that just because someone succeeds in getting a place at medical school doesn't mean that they are automatically an expert on the process.
    At £25-£35 an hour I wouldn't go for it. There is already tons of advice available for free that has been complied from many people rather than just one also on the web.
    If you feel that it will help then go for it, I could be completely wrong about it but that is just the impression I get from the website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by godknowsprerna)
    is anyone planning to study medicine abroad here ?
    yeahh I want to go to Canada what about you?

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Nottingham open day today - did anyone else go? I was amazed they let us into the full body disection room, with about 8 bodies in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    I went to the Nottingham open day today - did anyone else go? I was amazed they let us into the full body disection room, with about 8 bodies in!
    Woah sounds cool, wish i had gone :eek:

UKCAT revision status: 60-70% ready
    Exam: 26th August
    Problem: Timing on QR and AR sections

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalDoom)

You got 2 months left still which is a while

How did you manage to quickly understand the differences in Set A and Set B, still struggling to see any patterns in the sets v. quickly :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalDoom)

Dude you've got 2 months. I got 2 weeks :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleoleo)

How did you manage to quickly understand the differences in Set A and Set B, still struggling to see any patterns in the sets v. quickly :/
    BMAT - SECTION 2 REVISION TIME-

what i have learn't so far:

I've understood that your body has a CNS, which constitutes of the brain and spinal chord. You have a sensory neurone, a relay neurone, and a motor neurone.
    During a reflex reaction, your CNS is ignored, and the sensory neurone, goes to the motor neurone(correct me if i am wrong).

^_^ if given the diagram of someone touching fire, and options describing which neurones it actually went to, the first would be the sensory neurones - the ones that detect to stimuli surrounding them. Thereafter, i would say as it is a reflex reaction, it completely avoids the CNS, and goes to the part which does movement.

Anyway, i learn't about the eye. if you're staring in the dark, the pupil goes wider to absorb as much light (basically allowing more light in an area with less light). During bright light, the iris becomes bigger , and the pupil goes smaller.

WILL EDIT: I KNOW SOME OF THEM CONTRACT - SOME RELAX, ECT....

^_^ also going to learn about the human body, the organs, the hormones, and the way things move....

i know the small intestine is for digestion...(i think), and the large intenstine has it's function in absorbing water?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by section 2 prep)
    BMAT - SECTION 2 REVISION TIME-

what i have learn't so far:

I've understood that your body has a CNS, which constitutes of the brain and spinal chord. You have a sensory neurone, a relay neurone, and a motor neurone.
    During a reflex reaction, your CNS is ignored, and the sensory neurone, goes to the motor neurone(correct me if i am wrong).

^_^ if given the diagram of someone touching fire, and options describing which neurones it actually went to, the first would be the sensory neurones - the ones that detect to stimuli surrounding them. Thereafter, i would say as it is a reflex reaction, it completely avoids the CNS, and goes to the part which does movement.

Anyway, i learn't about the eye. if you're staring in the dark, the pupil goes wider to absorb as much light (basically allowing more light in an area with less light). During bright light, the iris becomes bigger , and the pupil goes smaller.

WILL EDIT: I KNOW SOME OF THEM CONTRACT - SOME RELAX, ECT....

^_^ also going to learn about the human body, the organs, the hormones, and the way things move....

i know the small intestine is for digestion...(i think), and the large intenstine has it's function in absorbing water?
    Good stuff, all eye mechanisms are true, done this a while back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsNorthman)
    Oh wow, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleoleo)

In the 600 UKCAT book it lists what are the most usual stuff u should look for when comparing, there's like about 6-7 points, try to find the pages if u have the book...it helps find the relationship really quickly, but there's the occasional ones where it takes longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsNorthman)
    Good luck

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.