Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Same, but apparently the book is harder than the actual test. I've not even got up to the questions marked** as they're even harder...
    I have looked at those with a sunken heart. And I do frickin' A level maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    Haha, wish I knew the meaning of calm :laugh: I need to polish up on percentages and mental maths (I knew brain training on ds would come in handy one day).

I actually like DA Kind of. And VR's ok. AR is slightly terrible, but I'm improving.
    I hate AR with a passion, why can't it be simple like set A is white only, set b is black only. My life would be far simpler

ReputationRep:
    I have looked at those with a sunken heart. And I do frickin' A level maths.
    Same! Oh well at least we shall be pleasantly surprised on the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    i have 3/4 of wednesdays off anyway, and my one lesson is basically a chat with our chemistry teacher whilst we slowly do calculations. And after school psychology doesn't sound bad, is it AS or A2 or something else?
    Ah we have wednesday afternoon to play sports... noone does
    oh well have fun with your exciting slow calculations :lol:
    well we've just started the A2 course, but afterschool psychology is the worst! such a waste of time with a terrible teacher, 2 and a half hours of our class doing absolutely nothing, and then i have to wait for my public bus to come and don't get home til half 7 :|

ReputationRep:
    I hate AR with a passion, why can't it be simple like set A is white only, set b is black only. My life would be far simpler
    I think they get a kick out of seeing angst ridden 17 year old medical applicants, staring blankly at shapes, whilst trying to squeeze some meaning out of them.

(Original post by liviaaa)
    Same! Oh well at least we shall be pleasantly surprised on the day.
    I hope so

ReputationRep:

I hope so
    When's your UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manic_fuzz)
    Ah we have wednesday afternoon to play sports... noone does
    oh well have fun with your exciting slow calculations :lol:
    well we've just started the A2 course, but afterschool psychology is the worst! such a waste of time with a terrible teacher, 2 and a half hours of our class doing absolutely nothing, and then i have to wait for my public bus to come and don't get home til half 7 :|
    I quite enjoyed AS psychology despite a teacher with the worst sense of planning possible. I dropped it then though as the A2 exams was all essays, I would have failed them badly!
    I think they get a kick out of seeing angst ridden 17 year old medical applicants, staring blankly at shapes, whilst trying to squeeze some meaning out of them.
    It would not surprise me if they secretly filmed us doing that section then sent the videos to each other for amusement.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I know of, but it is Sheffield, as well as Liverpool, Nottingham and UEA that have that requirement. Liverpool I was considering and Sheffield I was if my UKCAT was spectacular. How is your work experience coming along?
    Apparently Sheffield don't like Colyton's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Good luck breaking it down Also you know what college you are applying to for Cambridge?
    I'm really, really liking Christ's, but not 100% confirmed yet. You have any idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek)
    No problem
    I find VR okay because i don't really read the passage, i sort of scan it and find the answers quite quickly without reading the whole thing, just need to improve on accuracy because i usually have time left over.
    QR is alright for difficulty, but horrible for time
    I'm acctually in love with DA, it may save my score from AR - which i'm hopeless at
    Only our results will tell :rolleyes:
    So you don't actually read the passage?
    Atm, I read all of it, then move onto the Qs then end up scanning the para again from the ans rather than recalling it so then finding time a major constraint :/ doesn't help that when I see a block of text I get switched off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I'm really, really liking Christ's, but not 100% confirmed yet. You have any idea?
    You been to the college open day for it? And was thinking St. John's or Queen's, no real foundation behind it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    You been to the college open day for it? And was thinking St. John's or Queen's, no real foundation behind it though.
    No, the open days were during my work placement week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    No, the open days were during my work placement week
    But I thought the college open days were on various dates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleoleo)
    So you don't actually read the passage?
    Atm, I read all of it, then move onto the Qs then end up scanning the para again from the ans rather than recalling it so then finding time a major constraint :/ doesn't help that when I see a block of text I get switched off!
    I sort of scan reading down the page, rather than across (if that makes sense) and numbers and key words seem to stand out so that i can remember roughly where to find them later.
    I tend to finish on time/with time to spare in this section. Only issue is accuracy i.e. a certain part of the text may cause you to believe the question is can't tell but then maybe one line at the very beginning or at the very end that is an absolute statement makes the question true or false instead. But because it didn't quite mention the keywords, my brain skipped it.
    This time i want to learn to speed read it so that i'm actually taking info in rather than random keywords/facts/numbers..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Rather be at Oxford than St Johns...oh I'd rather ne at Oxford than St Johns...all together now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    But I thought the college open days were on various dates?
    The July ones were all during my placement week, the next ones are in September so I doubt I can go because I'd need to fly over and it'll be during term time

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same, I've not really done much practice yet, but from that I got VR: 18/24, QR: 17/24, AR: 18/25, DA: 11/14. Have you booked yours yet? I've got to try and find some proof that I receive EMA so I can get the bursary before I can book it, although I'm thinking first couple weeks of August.
    Did you guys do this practice in timed conditions or took your time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleoleo)
    Did you guys do this practice in timed conditions or took your time?
    I took half an hour to do it, but seeing as it's a half-test you should limit yourself to 45 minutes for a timed practice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SylveeDiggs)
    Nah not yet...i cant seem to decide on a date thats best, but i dont want to leave booking for much longer!

So you reckon just the 600q book and the practise papers are enough? i was thinking of buying the ukcat and bmat book
    Fair enough, well good luck when you do do it yeah they were for me, but if you think that book will help go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckymilts)
    bit off topic but is anyone thinking about taking a gap year before starting medicine. i kinda think that seeing as its going to be 5 years minimum i may aswell take a year to earn some money/ travel etc. but i dont know if its worth it. if you are gonna take a gap year any idea what you're going to/ have arranged to do??? xx
    Yeah, I'm wanting to spend a year in France. I've just come back from Paris and I absolutely loved it, I don't know if the feeling of wanting a year out will pass, but I really hope it doesn't.

The consistent piece of advice I got from every doc on work exp (actually, it's the advice every adult gives) was to enjoy your life and to live your life as much as poss, and to take opportunities. The idea of living in Paris and being surrounded by Frenchness is so :sexface:. Dunno what I'd do though- don't speak French enough to take a people-based job, but anything else would be pointless.

What are you thinking of doing?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.