Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GH)
    Go on, live a little. Apply.
    Do you think scores of 270/300, 285/300, 290/300 and 290/300 respectively in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology would fit Cambridge standards? Worried about the first one

ReputationRep:
    I'm only managing on average 85 seconds per question in the QR exercises from the book, I hate the computer calculator!

ReputationRep:
    The UKCAT time limits are crazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I'm only managing on average 85 seconds per question in the QR exercises from the book, I hate the computer calculator!
    The way UKCAT is scored is pretty weird. getting a decent number of questions correct, rather than many wrong leads to high scoring . For example, I'm lead to believe that competing 15 questions and getting 12 right and 3 wrong will score higher than someone completing 25 questions, getting 16 right and 9 wrong .

Writing in general now:

No matter what you get 2500 + is above average and puts you in the top half of overall scores. People on tsr drove me mad last year and early this year on tsr, complaining about "only getting 2600 / 650 average etc". Don't get too bogged down in worrying about UKCAT. I got 2520 overall / 630 average and got into my first choice for medicine at Dundee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Do you think scores of 270/300, 285/300, 290/300 and 290/300 respectively in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology would fit Cambridge standards? Worried about the first one
    Defo

ReputationRep:
    Got the 600 questions book off the library today :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Got the 600 questions book off the library today :awesome:
    Hope you're ready for soul crushing QR questions

(I got mine in January) :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    Hope you're ready for soul crushing QR questions

(I got mine in January) :ninjagirl:
    QR doesn't seem too bad to me, I've always liked numbers and mental maths. AR is a complete total ***** though, I can't even work out Shape A on the very first question, ****

ReputationRep:
    QR doesn't seem too bad to me, I've always liked numbers and mental maths. AR is a complete total ***** though, I can't even work out Shape A on the very first question, ****
    Just looked at that, and it took me about a minute to find out the pattern. Honestly, you just need to practice. It will become easier, the more frequently you do these questions.

I hate QR. I'm just too slow. I keep varying with VR, though. Sometimes I get most of them right, but with others I struggle to get half right.

When have you booked it for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    Just looked at that, and it took me about a minute to find out the pattern. Honestly, you just need to practice. It will become easier, the more frequently you do these questions.

I hate QR. I'm just too slow. I keep varying with VR, though. Sometimes I get most of them right, but with others I struggle to get half right.

When have you booked it for?
    I haven't booked it yet. I haven't actually done more than two QR questions, so I'm gonna see if it's difficulty matches upto the hype. The few questions I did before (a few weeks ago) weren't so bad...

ReputationRep:
    Can you do the questions in the time limit?

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR

When I started to think about the application cycle for Medicine last year, I found that TSR was such a valuable well of information and guidance. For this reason, I decided that I'd try to give back to the forum with some advice of my own . Just so you know, I was only accepted into two medical schools, which of course became my firm (UCL, for which - I'm happy to say - I have received the necessary exam results) and my insurance (Edinburgh). But there were times when I was severely worried I would not get into University at all. Here are some pointers to keep you from feeling that way... hopefully

1) Select very carefully. This is quite obvious: you can only apply to four medical school with the option of one other school for a different subject. I found that my first rejection was actually for my "safe" choice: Biomedical Sciences (which subsequently sent me into a state of complete panic). I was then rejected from Cambridge post-interview and Imperial without an interview at all. Believe me, the last thing you want to feel is as though your dreams flickering out one by one into complete darkness, so be wise in your choices! I'd suggest you apply to two safety schools along with your fifth choice.

Check out UCAS.co.uk to find the normal offers of these "safe" universities and ensure that they are properly below what you hope to achieve in examinations. BE REALISTIC. Then apply to either two strong schools that you have a relatively good chance of getting into, or one strong school and one reach. My reach was Cambridge, and while I expected a rejection, I definitely valued the experience. If anything, it motivated me to work harder for my other schools when I was rejected, but the decision is yours. Also, if you decide to apply to a fifth university, make sure your personal statement is relevant enough for that choice (mine was really too focussed on Medicine). As a final point, I would advise against applying to the same school for Medicine and your fifth choice (I did with UCL because it was one of my top schools). This may show your enthusiasm for the school, but in a way you're eliminating one of your choices because it is highly unlikely a university will give you offers for two courses.

2) Prepare for the examinations you'll take EARLY ON! In my case, I did the SATs twice, as well as three SAT subject tests, BMAT, the UKCAT whilst trying to keep my school grades in check. I honestly wouldn't recommend taking as many as you can (I reasoned that it could open many opportunities if I took more exams) because it'll hurt your performance and you'll start to put less effort into each of them. Start studying early and I recommend you use more than one source to study for each exam so you have a better idea of the types of questions that can come up. My letdown was BMAT. Cambridge and Imperial informed me in feedback that this was the factor of my application that caused my rejection, but luckily enough, UCL focussed on the stronger parts of my application Believe me, you HAVE TO work as hard as you can RIGHT NOW. Before you know it, exams will be upon you (Sorry for the melodramatic tone!) and these examinations can make or break your application. Give them sufficient consideration!!! And don't freak out

3) I'll break down my smaller pieces of advice in this point:
    Personal Statement: Make sure it sounds natural (so avoid excessively using a thesaurus, so matter how tempted you are :cool:) but also informed on whatever you need to know. Don't lie! They can ask you about what you said on your PS at interview - if you are invited to one. Also, although it is risky, try to be a bit creative. My personal opinion is that the template advised by TSR (you start with an introduction, then you talk about your interest in Medicine, then volunteering, then extracurricularts etc.) can lead to a very rigid, impersonal essay. Read some of the essays written by applicants to American universities to get an idea of the flair. BUT BEAR IN MIND, THOSE USUALLY DEVIATE TOO MUCH FROM WHAT UK UNIVERSITIES ARE LOOKING FOR. The point is: you want to sound fresh, unrehearsed AND hit all the criteria. Post it on TSR for guidance
    School Grades and Recommendations: It is blatant that you'll want to do your best with exams and pick the right teachers for recommendations. Make sure that all those involved in your application (teachers, UGC etc.) are aware of how much you need their help and how much ambition you have. Take initiative, develop a friendship with them, but most importantly, don't get on their bad side! A friend of mine p*ssed off his Chemistry teacher by constantly demanding whether he had written his recommendation so eventually, the teacher lost interest in doing the best he could and just wrote some random drivel (our UGC informed the student and the recommendation was actually not submitted because of its quality, but the point still stands). Show them your determination, but be wary!

Finally, I wish you all the best of luck! I know this is a stressful process, but play it smart and hopefully there will be no regrets at the end of it all If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll help any way I can

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am applying this year.

I haven't sat my UKCAT yet..so my UCAS choices are UCL (first choice) and then either Imperial or Oxford. The others are dependent on my UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    YES. Finally written the first line of my PS

ReputationRep:
    just done my ukcat today not sure if its good or not,
    any ideas whats good whats bad

thanking you now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colmrs)
    just done my ukcat today not sure if its good or not,
    any ideas whats good whats bad

thanking you now
    why don't you tell us the score?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply, i would like to apply to Keele and Durham definitely, but it all depends on the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferdowsi)
    why don't you tell us the score?
    sorry may be helpful,

VR:520
    QR:660
    AR:650
    DA:670

Mean: 625
    Total: 2500

ReputationRep:
    2600+ is good

2200- is bad

ReputationRep:
    2600+ is good

2200- is bad

This i am happy with

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.