Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    Hey TSR

When I started to think about the application cycle for Medicine last year, I found that TSR was such a valuable well of information and guidance. For this reason, I decided that I'd try to give back to the forum with some advice of my own . Just so you know, I was only accepted into two medical schools, which of course became my firm (UCL, for which - I'm happy to say - I have received the necessary exam results) and my insurance (Edinburgh). But there were times when I was severely worried I would not get into University at all. Here are some pointers to keep you from feeling that way... hopefully

1) Select very carefully. This is quite obvious: you can only apply to four medical school with the option of one other school for a different subject. I found that my first rejection was actually for my "safe" choice: Biomedical Sciences (which subsequently sent me into a state of complete panic). I was then rejected from Cambridge post-interview and Imperial without an interview at all. Believe me, the last thing you want to feel is as though your dreams flickering out one by one into complete darkness, so be wise in your choices! I'd suggest you apply to two safety schools along with your fifth choice.
    I do not feel much sympathy for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsNorthman)
    YES. Finally written the first line of my PS
    well, what was is?

oh yeah , right, sorry. plagiarism.

but i mean you can if you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colmrs)
    sorry may be helpful,

VR:520
    QR:660
    AR:650
    DA:670

Mean: 625
    Total: 2500

just be careful to check cut-offs. some schools have cut offs that are above that - like Kings and Barts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferdowsi)
    just be careful to check cut-offs. some schools have cut offs that are above that - like Kings and Barts
    ah dont want to go to any of the london ones anyway

ReputationRep:
    ah dont want to go to any of the london ones anyway
    It's not just London - Newcastle and Manchester both have cut offs as well afaik.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limesasquatch)
    well, what was is?

oh yeah , right, sorry. plagiarism.

but i mean you can if you want
    Yeah.. took me about 2 months to come up with but sure I'll give it away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    QR doesn't seem too bad to me, I've always liked numbers and mental maths. AR is a complete total ***** though, I can't even work out Shape A on the very first question, ****
    After looking at the answers and going through each question the first time, looked at all 26 AR questions and can do them all now Just needs a good day to get used to the format

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarowi)
    The way UKCAT is scored is pretty weird. getting a decent number of questions correct, rather than many wrong leads to high scoring . For example, I'm lead to believe that competing 15 questions and getting 12 right and 3 wrong will score higher than someone completing 25 questions, getting 16 right and 9 wrong .

Writing in general now:

No matter what you get 2500 + is above average and puts you in the top half of overall scores. People on tsr drove me mad last year and early this year on tsr, complaining about "only getting 2600 / 650 average etc". Don't get too bogged down in worrying about UKCAT. I got 2520 overall / 630 average and got into my first choice for medicine at Dundee.
    Wait, so is it negatively marked? Because I was under the impression that if you run out of time/ don't know, do pick an answer as it's multiple choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infintywhirls)
    Wait, so is it negatively marked? Because I was under the impression that if you run out of time/ don't know, do pick an answer as it's multiple choice?
    You don't lose marks for getting answers wrong/missing them out.

ReputationRep:
    So do med schools look at AS Level grades or just A2 Level predictions, because all the open days I've been to have mentioned nothing of scoring academics based on AS Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konshi)
    So do med schools look at AS Level grades or just A2 Level predictions, because all the open days I've been to have mentioned nothing of scoring academics based on AS Levels.
    I think because usually A2 predictions are based on your AS grades, then they probably only really use the predictions though I could be wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konshi)
    I think it varies between universities. I know for example, Birmingham have said they'll give preference to candidates declaring good AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, doing my first day of UKCAT. Thought I'd start off with VR because it's the easiest section? Anyways, I've got the 600 questions book, could a few people with the book who've already done it answer these questions please?

-Firstly, This is the book which is published in 2009 right?
    -Secondly, I've done the first 8 sets of questions. I've got mostly 6 out of 8, but two 7s and a 5. Good results? What did everyone else get on their first time round etc
    -Relating to the question above, is the book easier, harder, same level as the real thing? And, in the actual book itself, is each set of questions harder than the last? Ie, is VR 5 harder than VR 4?
    -Also, is it just me, or is there a massively high proportion of 'Can't Tell' answers? And how does this relate to the real thing. Obviously you can't get a detailed feedback in the real thing, but it's good to know what somebody else's instincts are anyway...

x
    (Original post by rhetoric)
    x
    Tagged you because you've done it :P

(Original post by liviaaa)
    x
    (Original post by Nator)
    x
    (Original post by cz100)
    x
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    x
    Tagged you because I think you've mentioned that you have the book.

Everybody else answer as well please haha

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, doing my first day of UKCAT. Thought I'd start off with VR because it's the easiest section? Anyways, I've got the 600 questions book, could a few people with the book who've already done it answer these questions please?

-Firstly, This is the book which is published in 2009 right?
    -Secondly, I've done the first 8 sets of questions. I've got mostly 6 out of 8, but two 7s and a 5. Good results? What did everyone else get on their first time round etc
    -Relating to the question above, is the book easier, harder, same level as the real thing? And, in the actual book itself, is each set of questions harder than the last? Ie, is VR 5 harder than VR 4?
    -Also, is it just me, or is there a massively high proportion of 'Can't Tell' answers? And how does this relate to the real thing. Obviously you can't get a detailed feedback in the real thing, but it's good to know what somebody else's instincts are anyway...

- Yes published in 2009
    - And yeah sounds good, ain't started VR yet
    - Have seen a couple of people on here relate to the difficulty as QR is harder in the book, DA is easier in the book, AR is just hard all round and VR is pretty much the same
    - Dunno haven't started VR yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    - Yes published in 2009
    - And yeah sounds good, ain't started VR yet
    - Have seen a couple of people on here relate to the difficulty as QR is harder in the book, DA is easier in the book, AR is just hard all round and VR is pretty much the same
    - Dunno haven't started VR yet

thanks man

ReputationRep:
    thanks man
    No prob

ReputationRep:

Tagged you because I think you've mentioned that you have the book.

The scores you're getting are good. I think I've already mentioned that I keep fluctuating with VR (4/5 to 8). As long as you're getting 5+ then you should be fine.

VR's pretty much the same difficulty, as said by Nator.

I thought it was just me, but there does seem to be a lot of can't tells.

ReputationRep:
    The scores you're getting are good. I think I've already mentioned that I keep fluctuating with VR (4/5 to 8). As long as you're getting 5+ then you should be fine.

VR's pretty much the same difficulty, as said by Nator.

I thought it was just me, but there does seem to be a lot of can't tells.
    Yeah, the most frustrating thing for me is when you get 7/7 on the first 7 questions, you come to the last question, it's one of those 50/50 ones, and you pick the wrong one :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the most frustrating thing for me is when you get 7/7 on the first 7 questions, you come to the last question, it's one of those 50/50 ones, and you pick the wrong one :rolleyes:
    I never seem to go with my gut instinct, which is frustrating because it's nearly always right.

ReputationRep:
    I never seem to go with my gut instinct, which is frustrating because it's nearly always right.
    I didn't either, until recently when I realised I'm usually right first time! XD

Once you've clicked it...commit to it

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.