Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, im new here, and am in year 11.

I am planning to get all 10 A stars in my I/GCSEs, and also in my A2s and ASs,
    other than that, I think I got an o.k. extra curricular base i.e., I play for the school hockey team, I also play squash and d martial arts. I have been head boy, house cpatain and head librarian at my previous ( Primary school) and have won at least 2 prizes a year there. I am going to participate in the Art Britih Open, and in the Maths, biology and chemistry olmypiad, and am going to try my best to get gold. I go to a old home centre every week, and have done this for a3 years so far. I have done work expirince in a hospital and in a bank aswell. I play the cello, and by the time I finish school, I will be grade 8- I also play for my school in nearly all the strings concertts of the year. I have also represented my school for MUN and DEbating.

Do you guys think that this is o.k. to get a scholarship in the interview to get into Imperial?

Thank so muhc, you guys are so safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Universities will look at every aspect of your application before making a decision. To be successful an applicant must show a clear understanding of the role of doctors and medical students in society. This is usually illustrated by involvement in work experience in a healthcare environment (not necessarily a hospital).

I know of people who have got offers with a single day's worth of experience. Quality is more important than quantity You need to reflect on your experiences. What did you learn? How did you feel? Were any of your views challenged?
    I really agree, good knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    How important is work experience? Would one week shadowing a doctor be sufficient, and say a month or two doing voluntary work in a care home?

What do uni's look more at, the work experience...or grades + UKCAT score?
    some unis require work exp and won't accept any candidates w/o wrk exp. but yeaah, your wrk is fine, candidates just need to show they know what working in a medical environment is like.

ReputationRep:
    Universities will look at every aspect of your application before making a decision. To be successful an applicant must show a clear understanding of the role of doctors and medical students in society. This is usually illustrated by involvement in work experience in a healthcare environment (not necessarily a hospital).

I know of people who have got offers with a single day's worth of experience. Quality is more important than quantity You need to reflect on your experiences. What did you learn? How did you feel? Were any of your views challenged?
    Ah thank you I was worried I'd left it too late to get work experience, I've got one week sorted in the end of August and I'm looking to get some voluntary work now. But I felt kind of inferior to my friend as he has been to work experience in 7-8 places and his whole personal statement is about what he did there.
    Would working helping disabled autistic children count as working in a 'healthcare environment' ?

Also my sister (who got into dentistry doing this) said I should pretend to have done work experience in my Personal Statement. Then talk to a few doctors/read around the subject so when the interview comes you know how to answer the questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalDoom)
    I really want to get 850+ on the UKCAT but i'm just finding it really hard to improve on it i keep practising with the timing and so forth, but i'm not improving much.....i've only gotten a bit faster at AR and DA :s
    That is a pretty high target. It is good to aim high...but you shouldn't be getting too worked up about not getting 850 I would probably never have gotten over 700, no matter how hard I tried!

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you I was worried I'd left it too late to get work experience, I've got one week sorted in the end of August and I'm looking to get some voluntary work now. But I felt kind of inferior to my friend as he has been to work experience in 7-8 places and his whole personal statement is about what he did there.
    Would working helping disabled autistic children count as working in a 'healthcare environment' ?
    It is certainly worth mentioning. That would come under volunteering more than work experience.

Try not to compare yourself too much to other people. Your friend may have all those things, but that is no indication that his application will be any more successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleoleo)
    some unis require work exp and won't accept any candidates w/o wrk exp. but yeaah, your wrk is fine, candidates just need to show they know what working in a medical environment is like.
    Ah okay, are you applying this year too? Which uni's have you looked at?

ReputationRep:
    That is a pretty high target. It is good to aim high...but you shouldn't be getting too worked up about not getting 850 I would probably never have gotten over 700, no matter how hard I tried!
    what really is the UKCat exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tree man)
    what really is the UKCat exam?
    It is an aptitude test that medical and dental hopefuls are required to sit before applying to university. It is computer based and tests numeracy, literacy etc as well as almost lateral thinking. Shapes and codes.

Have a read here

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details...age=background

ReputationRep:
    It is an aptitude test that medical and dental hopefuls are required to sit before applying to university. It is computer based and tests numeracy, literacy etc as well as almost lateral thinking. Shapes and codes.

Have a read here

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details...age=background
    cheers so much!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cz100)
    I was going to use the RBS pen I got during the Oxbridge conference to my BMAT for luck, but alas I brought it on work experience with me, and lent it to the doctor whose black pen ran out. Unfortunately when she went to talk to a patient's relative the patient took the pen off her and started writing with it and we thought it was best to leave her to it. Hopefully it's a good sign that I lost it during a hospital placement...
    We'll think of it as a good sign :yep:

Hopefully you won't need any good luck items :crossedf:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There's also a TSR Medicine Wiki page on the UKCAT, which you can read here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    There's also a TSR Medicine Wiki page on the UKCAT, which you can read here.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    So can you only take the BMAT after the deadline (15th October)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limesasquatch)
    So can you only take the BMAT after the deadline (15th October)?
    Yes, the BMAT is on one day

ReputationRep:
    How many international students do you see on medicine courses typically? Is the odd one or two, or are there quite a lot? Also, are there a lot of mature students studying medicine too?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm new to TSR!! Anyway... medical school applications... three of my four options are in London, just how much more competitive is London compared to everywhere else?

Also, how many people do you reckon apply without straight A's for As level?

Hope everyone's well, EEK!

ReputationRep:
    How many international students do you see on medicine courses typically? Is the odd one or two, or are there quite a lot? Also, are there a lot of mature students studying medicine too?
    I'm going to be a mature (21 yrs) student by age, but not counted as one because I haven't ever left full-time education!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I was going to use the RBS pen I got during the Oxbridge conference to my BMAT for luck, but alas I brought it on work experience with me, and lent it to the doctor whose black pen ran out. Unfortunately when she went to talk to a patient's relative the patient took the pen off her and started writing with it and we thought it was best to leave her to it. Hopefully it's a good sign that I lost it during a hospital placement...
    I swear doctors are the black holes of pen losses.
    Lend your pen to doctors at your peril!

ReputationRep:
    Most courses have a limit of international students of normally around 10% of the total amount of places IIRC.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.