The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6120
Original post by Einy
Ye right
VR - much much harder than i expected, i rushed it to try and answer all question, and there were big words i didnt understand. Also the extracts are just as big as in the practice papers. :frown:
QR- much much easier than practice papers - you dont have as much info to take in. Its like only a couple of sentances.
AR - excactly the same sort of level as the practice papers.
DA - about the same too - although only 26 questions rather than 28.

The only question Off the whole paper I can remember is a QR one and it was to do with combinations. Dont worry it doesnt expect you to be doing like factorial ect. - its a very simple combinations question about half times scores at football :P

Hey thanks for the reflection
How long did you prepare and what resources did you use?
Oh. I did not do combinations but I guess if it was only 1 question, i will just guestimate. :P
Reply 6121
Hi
I was wondering if scores are relative to last year test taker or this year. It has to be last year test takers right because if it was this year, then the first person to write it would automatically get 900 which is unfair! :frown:
Thanks
Cya all in 4 weeksssssssss
Original post by Shaz51
OMG same here! i'm dreading UKCAT like helll. :frown: My previous UKCAT score was not very charming. and the sad thing is im not even taking the BMAT coz i am not an OXbridge or london person.. I am applying again too :smile:...........So what was the interviews like in the St. Andrews?...

I really need to start doing some work :l got back from Namibia today - sorry for the late reply lol - and one of the first thoughts I had was "crumbs ukcat revision time :/" I should probably book that soon... oh wells :tongue: Erm it was really friendly me thinks :smile: They started by asking me "so what do you know of the course?" and just left me to it until i stopped talking (which i didn't like cause i had no idea how i'd done - i'd done well though :smile: ) and then just took it in turns asking me about different aspects of stuff. Oh and they asked me on an article we read before the interview. I was really dreading it, but it was quite nice... for an interview :smile:
Reply 6124
Original post by GH
That is a very good reason to go to Cambridge.

We have an integrated MBPhd program, which means that by adding in 2.5 years to your degree you get an Phd out of it as well. (to be done after 4th yearand intercalating this into clinical years).

If you went to Cambridge, you can move to London - Imperial after 3rd year, and then go on to do clinicals/Phd program there as well.

After the Phd can you go into foundation year as normal?
Reply 6125
Original post by cz100
After the Phd can you go into foundation year as normal?

So the course is like this:

Year 1 - 2: Pre-clinicals
Year 3: Intercalated
Year 4: Clinical
PHd (2.5 years)
Year 5 - 6: Clinicals
Foundation 1
Foundation 2 etc
Reply 6126
Original post by GH

PHd (2.5 years)
Foundation 1
Foundation 2 etc

Is the teaching all the same for different colleges? Because some say like e.g. Trinity (Sciences), does it mean that different colleges have different teaching?
Reply 6127
Original post by GH

PHd (2.5 years)
Foundation 1
Foundation 2 etc

The way I understand it from looking at the website is that after year 3 the clinical course is spread over 6 years and the PhD is done at the same time. Not 100% on that though.

EDIT: just checked on the website:
"three-year period of full-time research combined with three hours a week clinical education. It concludes with students rejoining the clinical course to complete their studies with either the Standard or Cambridge Graduate courses, depending upon the time of completion of the PhD."
http://www.medschl.cam.ac.uk/education/courses/mbphd/index.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6128
Original post by Nator
Is the teaching all the same for different colleges? Because some say like e.g. Trinity (Sciences), does it mean that different colleges have different teaching?

Lectures, dissections etc = same for all colleges.

The only difference in teaching is due to the additoinal supervisions, which are provided by the college. Each college have signed an agreement so that they give same number of supervision hours throughout.

So only difference would be to compare the supervisors between themselves. Obviously everyone have different teaching styles. Some lecture, some get their students to present etc.
Reply 6129
Original post by VaVe
The way I understand it from looking at the website is that after year 3 the clinical course is spread over 6 years and the PhD is done at the same time. Not 100% on that though.

EDIT: just checked on the website:
"three-year period of full-time research combined with three hours a week clinical education. It concludes with students rejoining the clinical course to complete their studies with either the Standard or Cambridge Graduate courses, depending upon the time of completion of the PhD."
http://www.medschl.cam.ac.uk/education/courses/mbphd/index.html

No.

"At the start of the programme, students follow the Standard Course Stage 1 curriculum up to and including the Stage 1 student selected component."

You do stage 1 then do Phd programme. Stage 1 = 4th year.
Your 3rd year = intercalated.

"...followed by a three-year period of full-time research combined with three hours a week clinical education. It concludes with students rejoining the clinical course to complete their studies ..."

It is 3 academic years, or 2.67 real years.

Its good because it guarenteed Phd funding for you to go where you want. And its a set timeline so you know your end point and get things published out asap.

Its bad because you are doing a Phd very early, and may not be doing it in the speciality you want to do in the future.

And the 3 hour part time clinical skills education is nothing (most of the time you are doing around 1-2 hours/week). You essentially are running on empty clinical skills, you deskill rapidly based on only 3 hours/week.
Reply 6130
Original post by GH
Lectures, dissections etc = same for all colleges.

The only difference in teaching is due to the additoinal supervisions, which are provided by the college. Each college have signed an agreement so that they give same number of supervision hours throughout.

So only difference would be to compare the supervisors between themselves. Obviously everyone have different teaching styles. Some lecture, some get their students to present etc.

Oh alright, and I understand. And that's fine, are any supervisors more experienced/preferred to others?
Reply 6131
Original post by Nator
Oh alright, and I understand. And that's fine, are any supervisors more experienced/preferred to others?

It would be unprofessional to comment on my colleagues. All are good at their respective fields, otherwise they would not have been hired/retained at the colleges.

All I can say is that in 1st year on average 25% of medical students get firsts.
My students that I supervise = 50-60% get firsts, consistently.
Reply 6132
Original post by GH
It would be unprofessional to comment on my colleagues. All are good at their respective fields, otherwise they would not have been hired/retained at the colleges.

All I can say is that in 1st year on average 25% of medical students get firsts.

Fair enough, and nice, and woah promoting your college are we? :rolleyes:
Reply 6133
Original post by GH

PHd (2.5 years)
Foundation 1
Foundation 2 etc

Oh :love:
Original post by GH

By the way have you ever mentioned which college you're at, or would you prefer not to say?
Reply 6134
Original post by cz100
Oh :love:

By the way have you ever mentioned which college you're at, or would you prefer not to say?

Would prefer not to say.
Reply 6135
Original post by GH
Would prefer not to say.

Fair enough.

Quick question: I did 5 ASs, if I drop down to 3 A2s next year would that be regarded as being lazy?
Original post by cz100
Fair enough.

Quick question: I did 5 ASs, if I drop down to 3 A2s next year would that be regarded as being lazy?

Of course it wouldn't if at all it would count towards your application as you are prepared to do more than the normal number of AS levels.

Just finished my work experience, feels good to have a lie in. :cool: playing the lazy song. Good times. :biggrin:
Reply 6137
Original post by cz100
Fair enough.

As long as you make your offer, and let the admissions tutor know that you have dropped 2 A2s, and the Director of Studies OK'd it, then it is fine. [Post offer]

[Pre-offer] - I'd want to know why, and which AS you dropped. Dropping 1 AS is common place
Reply 6138
Original post by Limitless
Of course it wouldn't if at all it would count towards your application as you are prepared to do more than the normal number of AS levels.

Just finished my work experience, feels good to have a lie in. :cool: playing the lazy song. Good times. :biggrin:

I miss work exp, always hated lie ins.
Original post by GH
As long as you make your offer, and let the admissions tutor know that you have dropped 2 A2s, and the Director of Studies OK'd it, then it is fine. [Post offer]

[Pre-offer] - I'd want to know why, and which AS you dropped. Dropping 1 AS is common place

I'm doing biology, chemistry, physics, maths and history, plus Chinese which I know wouldn't count. I'm pretty sure I'll drop history because the admissions tutor I talked to told me to definitely drop it. I'm not sure about physics since all the medical physics content has been taught in unit 2 this year.
Original post by cz100
I miss work exp, always hated lie ins.

After waking up at 7.15 every day sprinting to the other side of the town to get the bus everyday waking up late feels so good. :tongue:

Need to sort my PS and start UKCAT revision now. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending