Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbag1)
    True, but think how easy that'll be when you are used to waking up for no reason
    Yeah but then I went back to sleep. Got to the gym for 7.30 and finished at 8.30 which meant I missed the bus to get to the hospital for my induction day for voluntary work and made a terrible first impression.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by doctork2)
    Hey, so I see you two are talking Hi, bonkyky... how original LOL.

I thought we could pres Number Lock on the keyboard and use it. That's what other people have told me anyways.
    Same. Thats what I thought. I am calling Pearson on Monday to ask them to allow usage of keyboards as other testing centres have them and its unfair to have different stndards

Yeah, I saw he was a richmond-hiller and told him about you but you guys are already friends.

ReputationRep:
    Ok ive got lots of questions
    - Does anyone know how Nottingham university use the UKCAT
    - Can I apply for pharmacy/Pharmacology as a backup to medicine.
    - Ive done the UKCAT so should I start preparing for the BMAT?
    - If so how should I prepare for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einy)
    - Can I apply for pharmacy/Pharmacology as a backup to medicine.
    - Ive done the UKCAT so should I start preparing for the BMAT?
    1.http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/unde...res/ukcat.aspx
    2.Yes
    3.Yes. Just out of curiosity what did you get for your UKCAT?
    4. I'm not too sure but it is probably similar to the way you revised for UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einy)
    They use it. Nobody really knows how they mark it or how it is weighted against other parts of the application, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einy)
    Revision for S1 will probably be similar to the way you revised for UKCAT. For esction 2 go through GCSE sciences and maths.

For the essay, I have no idea how you prepare for that? Write some, read examples?

ReputationRep:
    Just saying hello! I only found out about TSR today. My daughter is applying for Medicine for 2012, but is away for a month on a World Challenge expedition. Thought I'd sign up and follow what's going on.

She was planning to apply for Biomedical Science, with a view to doing Graduate Medicine later. (2 cousins have taken the graduate route, as they didn't know at 17/18 that they wanted a career in Medicine). However, she decided a few weeks ago to apply for Medicine instead. Due to the time restriction she can't take the UKCAT and do herself justice, so will be applying for those med schools asking for BMAT or no test. If unsuccessful, she'll have a Gap Year and reapply.

I'm looking forward to reading the information/advice on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supportive mum)
    Just saying hello! I only found out about TSR today. My daughter is applying for Medicine for 2012, but is away for a month on a World Challenge expedition. Thought I'd sign up and follow what's going on.

She was planning to apply for Biomedical Science, with a view to doing Graduate Medicine later. (2 cousins have taken the graduate route, as they didn't know at 17/18 that they wanted a career in Medicine). However, she decided a few weeks ago to apply for Medicine instead. Due to the time restriction she can't take the UKCAT and do herself justice, so will be applying for those med schools asking for BMAT or no test. If unsuccessful, she'll have a Gap Year and reapply.

Hello there

It certainly is a bit short notice, but that needn't be a bad thing. Has your daughter any work experience in a healthcare environment? She will also need extensive evidence of volunteering and a busy extra curricular life.

Time is of the essence with UCAS deadline coming in October, has she started thinking about her personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Hello there

It certainly is a bit short notice, but that needn't be a bad thing. Has your daughter any work experience in a healthcare environment? She will also need extensive evidence of volunteering and a busy extra curricular life.

Time is of the essence with UCAS deadline coming in October, has she started thinking about her personal statement?
    Hi! She should be able to tick all the boxes re: volunteering and has an extremely busy extracurricular life. She also has lots of experience relevant to the NHS and the health care area, but will hopefully also get a week's hospital experience during October half term. Obviously this is after UCAS submission, but as long as it's all arranged, it should be OK. She is the youngest of 4, so we are all au fait with the UCAS process.

Her PS was fine for Biomed, but she's got to get cracking on a Medicine one when she returns in 3 weeks. She has made a good start though.

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT booked for the 25th!!

ReputationRep:
    ive just read something on one of the medicine articles that said for bristol AS levels for candidates offering 4 at least one should be non-science subject i dont know where they go this from though. anyone know if its true ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EbonyJane)
    ive just read something on one of the medicine articles that said for bristol AS levels for candidates offering 4 at least one should be non-science subject i dont know where they go this from though. anyone know if its true ?
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...missions#entry

ReputationRep:
    how is the ukcat made fair, if someone has done it first and told the other person who hasnt done it yet what is on the test ?
    do they change it daily, cause i know a few people who have done that ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EbonyJane)
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/und...missions#entry

Unless they are changing it for 2012?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/und...missions#entry

Unless they are changing it for 2012?
    That's for 2011 entry this is for 2012 http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...missions#entry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    That's for 2011 entry this is for 2012 http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...missions#entry

That link doesn't work. And if you actually bother to read my post I clearly say 'UNLESS THEY HAVE CHANGED IT FOR 2012'

ReputationRep:
    That link doesn't work. And if you actually bother to read my post I clearly say 'UNLESS THEY HAVE CHANGED IT FOR 2012'
    Sorry I meant this one. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/...missions#entry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xpolly123x)
    how is the ukcat made fair, if someone has done it first and told the other person who hasnt done it yet what is on the test ?
    do they change it daily, cause i know a few people who have done that ?
    I dont know whether they change it for every person - but I dont think so. Ive done the UKCAT this year and I honestly can only remember one question on the whole paper. You have to work so fast that you dont really take any of it in. I dont have any sort of mental issues and have never had memory difficulties - so I really dont think its just me. And also it relies upon people applying for medicine generally being quite clever and discerning and clever enough to realise that it wont help that applicatron to help other do well on the test.

(Original post by Besakt)
    3.Yes. Just out of curiosity what did you get for your UKCAT?

vr - 640
    qr - 800
    ar -730
    da - 800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einy)

vr - 640
    qr - 800
    ar -730
    da - 800
    Wow, that's really good. Any tips you can give?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supportive mum)

The UKCAT is designed to test innate ability, so there's little reason why your daughter couldn't sit it this year and therefore vastly widen her choice of university. I realise that people have now figured out that revision does improve scores, but I sat it back in 2007 and got over 700 without ever having seen the questions before, so it is certainly possible to achieve a decent score without a lot of work beforehand. The Pearson test centres should still have slots left for UKCAT tests before October, and she can then decide whether to change her uni choices based on her score - all you have to potentially lose is the cost of the test.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.