Original post by bonkyky
OSSD Grades:
Grade 12 Advanced Functions: 93%
Grade 11 Accounting: 94%
Grade 11 English: 90%
Grade 11 Biology: 89% (Just under 90)
Grade 11 Chemistry: 92%
Grade 11 Physics: 92%
Grade 12 Co-op: 96% (worked in the Day Surgery Department at a local hospital)

And I have work experience in a doctor's office and at a local hospital. I am also going to shadow a dermatologist and a GP next week.

Hi! I'm also from Toronto! from the Markham area, I just can't help but notice you have Co-op in your top six because my guidance counsellor said I could not put it in my top six :s-smilie: but for Canada, I dont know about the cases when applying to the UK :confused:
Hi guys, good luck with your applications :biggrin:
I just want to say that what I found harder in the whole process is achieving your offer grades, I still don't know if I have (and I don't think I have) and it was mostly because I concentrated a lot on other things ie Interview prep... So just remember that at the end of the day, your grades count A LOT. Chances are nobody is going to give you an unconditional just because your interview was excellent so remember to stay focused on your studies as well.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
The UKCAT is designed to test innate ability, so there's little reason why your daughter couldn't sit it this year and therefore vastly widen her choice of university. I realise that people have now figured out that revision does improve scores, but I sat it back in 2007 and got over 700 without ever having seen the questions before, so it is certainly possible to achieve a decent score without a lot of work beforehand. The Pearson test centres should still have slots left for UKCAT tests before October, and she can then decide whether to change her uni choices based on her score - all you have to potentially lose is the cost of the test.

Thanks, Becca-Sarah. I'll talk to her when she returns. She was psyched up for the BMAT, as she'd planned for Biomed. She may not want to take on the UKCAT as well. I'll leave it up to her. Had she been around this summer hols, it wouldn't have been an issue. She is considering 4 of Oxford, UCL, Imperial, Birmingham and perhaps Bristol (going to the open day in September), so this may be enough. She doesn't want Liverpool as it's PBL, although her cousin is loving the Graduate Medicine course there. She won't be putting a 5th alternative choice.
any ideas where i can find the departmental admissions info for leeds and lancaster ?
Original post by EbonyJane
any ideas where i can find the departmental admissions info for leeds and lancaster ?

Leeds

Lancaster

Is that what you're after?
Hey all,

Just graduated with an undergraduate Masters in Computer Science and I am now applying for medicine! I think I am going to apply to Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Edinburgh. UKCAT booked for 9th September!

Good luck to everyone applying!
So, i just did my UKCAT yesterday, and did surprisingly well (3150 total, 787.5 average). Thing is, after attempting the questions in the 600Q book, I convinced myself I was going to do terribly and so only visited universities that put very little emphasis on the UKCAT score. So now I don't have a clue where to apply! :rolleyes: I'm thinking Birmingham ('cause this was my favourite out of the ones I visited), King's (though I havent visited), Cardiff (visiting this week) and either Edinburgh or Newcastle... :confused:
Original post by SomeoneYouDon'tKnow
Thing is, after attempting the questions in the 600Q book, I convinced myself I was going to do terribly

You have given me fresh hope! I was getting a little worried - especially with AR.

Well done on a great score.
Reply 6288
So, i just did my UKCAT yesterday, and did surprisingly well (3150 total, 787.5 average). Thing is, after attempting the questions in the 600Q book, I convinced myself I was going to do terribly and so only visited universities that put very little emphasis on the UKCAT score. So now I don't have a clue where to apply! :rolleyes: I'm thinking Birmingham ('cause this was my favourite out of the ones I visited), King's (though I havent visited), Cardiff (visiting this week) and either Edinburgh or Newcastle... :confused:

:eek: Are you like a mini genius.
Reply 6289
Original post by Einy

vr - 640
qr - 800
ar -730
da - 800

WOW thats REALLY AMAZING

any tips?? - i will never achieve that !!!
Reply 6290

WOWOWOW uve blown my mind away!!!

thats ridiculously AMAZING!!!

please share all hints and tiips!!! - i feel like im gona fail toooooo!!
Original post by Supportive mum
Thanks, Becca-Sarah. I'll talk to her when she returns. She was psyched up for the BMAT, as she'd planned for Biomed. She may not want to take on the UKCAT as well. I'll leave it up to her. Had she been around this summer hols, it wouldn't have been an issue. She is considering 4 of Oxford, UCL, Imperial, Birmingham and perhaps Bristol (going to the open day in September), so this may be enough. She doesn't want Liverpool as it's PBL, although her cousin is loving the Graduate Medicine course there. She won't be putting a 5th alternative choice.

My sister wasn't sure of she was going to apply for medicine until she got her AS results. She got a couple of books from Amazon and did OK in her UKCAT which she took at the end of September . She got offers from Cambridge and Nottingham (a UKCAT uni).
Original post by Got the tshirt
My sister wasn't sure of she was going to apply for medicine until she got her AS results. She got a couple of books from Amazon and did OK in her UKCAT which she took at the end of September . She got offers from Cambridge and Nottingham (a UKCAT uni).

I was the same, well to an extent :tongue: I didn't completely decide until after my Higher results.

That being said there is nothing wrong with being ambitious from the age of 12+ or whatever, as long as that doesn't overshadow their education at the time :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I was the same, well to an extent :tongue: I didn't completely decide until after my Higher results.

That being said there is nothing wrong with being ambitious from the age of 12+ or whatever, as long as that doesn't overshadow their education at the time :smile:

My sister had done some pretty basic work experience but my mum was really discouraging but after she aced her AS levels my mum did agree to support her by paying for the books and tests. Then when she decided to try for Cambridge my mum was all - don't waste one of your choices - so she didn't go to any open days or anything. Anyway she has just finished her first year at Cambridge :smile:

(Everyone knew I would be an engineer from when I was about 2 but my parents thought my sister would be an artist!)
Original post by Got the tshirt

Thanks for the positive post! I think my daughter will be OK with the 5 possible med schools that will require BMAT or no further test. However, should she get no offers, she can take the UKCAT next year, whilst having a gap year. I'll see what she thinks when she gets back towards the end of the month though. She really loved Birmingham, (no test), so would be thrilled to get an offer from there.
Original post by Supportive mum
Thanks for the positive post! I think my daughter will be OK with the 5 possible med schools that will require BMAT or no further test. However, should she get no offers, she can take the UKCAT next year, whilst having a gap year. I'll see what she thinks when she gets back towards the end of the month though. She really loved Birmingham, (no test), so would be thrilled to get an offer from there.

That sounds encouraging! Birmingham is apparently a great place to live in, and also to study at! :smile: I'm also applying this year. I'm an international student, so it's more competitive for me to get in, but I'm planning to get an offer from all 4 univerisites I'm planning to apply - and one of them is birmingham becuase of the LBL/PBL they offer, and the larger number of internationals they accept each year. Having a supportive mom like you, she should do just fine.

doctork2
good luck people .. if you have any questions just holla

Hello! I find myself in EXACTLY the same position with the 600Q book!! Do you think it's easier or more difficult than the actual thing? I swear some of the AR Q's in it are near ridiculous!

Can you give a very rough gauge as to what percentage you were scoring in the 600Q book?

Congrats by the way, awesome score :biggrin:
Original post by Loulibelle
Hello! I find myself in EXACTLY the same position with the 600Q book!! Do you think it's easier or more difficult than the actual thing? I swear some of the AR Q's in it are near ridiculous!

Can you give a very rough gauge as to what percentage you were scoring in the 600Q book?

Congrats by the way, awesome score :biggrin:

I found the questions in the book much more difficult than the real thing, at least for QR and AR. In the mock in the book I scored: QR - 420 AR - 606 VR - 553 DA - 674
I was also spending much longer than I should've on each of the practise questions, and still ended up getting half of them wrong!

I found the questions in the book much more difficult than the real thing, at least for QR and AR. In the mock in the book I scored: QR - 420 AR - 606 VR - 553 DA - 674
I was also spending much longer than I should've on each of the practise questions, and still ended up getting half of them wrong!

Ah thanks :smile: put my mind at ease somewhat!!

I'm having a mini-mental breakdown over this!!

I have a 2008 book called "Succeeding in the UKCAT" and the questions seem to be slightly easier but possible.... so at least when you look up the correct answer, you go "ahhh, I totally should have got that!" instead of "Er.... I NEVER would have got that if I'd have stared at the page for 3 years...."

:s soooo scared!!

Thanks for your help! x

Latest

Trending

Trending