The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6580
Original post by Shaz51
Well, it depends if you are after A or A*.
If you need A in maths, then retake the AS modules.
If you are planning to get A* in maths then retake A2 modules. Retake that module which is you find easier. This is because in Maths AS modules do not count towards your A*. So,if you want to get just an A then yes go ahead and get your M1 remarked.

And since I have been rejected from Cambridge despite having all As at 4 AS units, I would advice you to consider twice regarding applying to Oxbridge. There are lot other applicants with as good if not better grades.

Also how likely is it that marks go up from remarks? Is it more likely in maths than say chemistry?
Original post by Erotas
Also how likely is it that marks go up from remarks? Is it more likely in maths than say chemistry?

Probably a bit less likely in maths.
Reply 6582
Original post by Erotas

Well, I havent actually resit any of my modules but I would say it is fairly easier to boost up at maths than chemistry. Hope it helps.
And what level are you studying at? As or A2???
Reply 6583
Advice please!

I was intending to apply to Imperial. Unfortunately something has gone horribly wrong and I've only got a B in my Chemistry AS. (I am going to get CH02 remarked). I got very high As in Maths, Biology and Geography, which I intend to drop. I have 11 A* and an A at GCSE. If I manage to get predicted an A next year, would Imperial look favourably upon me, or would the B go against me?

Thanks!
Reply 6584
no chance of me getting in with EED :frown::ashamed2::cry:
Reply 6585
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah, same position, but I found this out today regarding AS grades;

Oxford don't care formally, but might consider it if you cash them in.
Leeds don't care full stop.
Leicester don't care full stop.
Birmingham will see that you are disadvantaged compared to AAAA students, but it won't make your chances of interview zero. High predictions at A2 won't necessarily negate this.
Imperial don't mention it on their website.
UCL mention consistently that they consider AS grades, and expect high grades in relevant subjects, so it's a bit risky there, no reply as of yet.
Sheffield don't care about AS grades either - Cleoleo

Thank you so much for this information. I've been checking out some university websites myself, but this was very helpful and has helped me get some of my motivation back. :smile:
I hope everyone else did ok!
Reply 6586
what universities do not require ukcat ?
thaanks :smile:
Reply 6587
Hey
I got AAA in chemsitry, biology and history but B in maths
. I also do the welsh Bac which counts as an A . I think I will drop History. i had 8 A* and 5 A's at GCSe . I have not done the UKCAT yet. i know it depends on other stuff as well. but do u think that it would be realistic to apply to Imperial, St Georges, Bristol and Nottingham
Reply 6588
Original post by kimmey
what universities do not require ukcat ?
thaanks :smile:

Birhimgham, Imperial, UCL and Oxbridge.
Reply 6589
Original post by Pumpsy
Advice please!

I was intending to apply to Imperial. Unfortunately something has gone horribly wrong and I've only got a B in my Chemistry AS. (I am going to get CH02 remarked). I got very high As in Maths, Biology and Geography, which I intend to drop. I have 11 A* and an A at GCSE. If I manage to get predicted an A next year, would Imperial look favourably upon me, or would the B go against me?

Thanks!

given you have high A at rest of your subjects and are predicted A next year; you have strong chances of getting into Imperial infact. I advice that you should consider applying there. :smile:
Reply 6590
I am self-loathing so much right now it is untrue. got BBD. B's in Biology and Psychology, admittedly were quite close to A's, but a D in chemistry, and that's probably only cause of the A in the tasks. Both unit 1 and unit 2 exams went terrible. C in unit 1 and E in unit 2. I didn't even know I was capable of getting an E.
I'm obviously not considering applying straight med anymore, and sorry for my rant, I needed to get it out, I was thinking whether King's EMDP or Southamptons BM6 should still be an option for me? (With retakes in January, of course) Also, I was highly considering applying straight to Biomed around south-east and then praying. But that gives me a bit of a problem with my lovely personal statement I've got together for med... :/
Any help here would be amazing, again, sorry about ranting, but I needed to take it out on something!

(OCR A in chem btw, anyone else who took that unit 2 exam, please don't tell me I was the only one who found that paper disgusting!!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hennnaa

(OCR A in chem btw, anyone else who took that unit 2 exam, please don't tell me I was the only one who found that paper disgusting!!)

You're not the only one! I opened the paper and thought "we've never learnt any of this?! D:" and the marks were ridiculous. I remember a 5 mark one about dynamic equilibrium which had about 3 lines for the answer!

Plus the grade boundaries were stupidly high :mad:
Original post by Shaz51
First of all congratulation to you on those set of results. :smile: I just discovered that Keele could offer a place at A*AB but I do not know if it is worth preparing for UKCAT to just to apply to one medical school. I am hating my results at the moment; I'd rather had got ABB instead because i wouldn't be in a huge dilemma like I am in now.
So, any plans for your gap year? Have you got any idea where you will apply to?
And just wanted to know if you are attending any uni. open days? Probably we could meet up, if we happened to go to the same open day? :smile:)

Thanks, and I wish you all the best for your UKCAT preparation. :smile:

EDIT: I do not know if medical schools appreciate re-sitting any modules?

Why thank you :smile: If its something you've always dreamed of would it not be worth taking the risk? :smile:

Gonna try and get a job in nursery my little sister goes to and attempt to get one in a care home though its not looking good but meh. And I'm also going to start volunteering at a hospital in town I went to college in which will hopefully be alright. But so far nothing exciting lol

I know I'm applying again to St. Andrews definitely and most probably Aberdeen. Also looking Glasgow if my ukcat's good enough and maybe Cardiff :smile: Still need to look around, I'm so unorganised :tongue: Yeah we could do... as long as I actually go/can go to them haha Last year I only went to two: 1) because college organised Cambridge one and i thought it'd be fun to go on lol and 2) cause it meant me and my friend missed a seriously terrible day at college hahaha ... but i'm gonna try and be good this time :biggrin: lol

What and where are you going to look at now? :smile: And thank you!, At this rate I need all the help I can get! lol Most don't like it me thinks but I know someone who got into Lancaster with resits in third year, so there must be somewhere :tongue:
at gcse im hoping to achieve between 5-8A* and the remainder A grades (total 10 gcse's). i should get the result next week.

if i continue A-levels at a similar standard will i be good enough for medicine, maybe even good enough for oxbridge? if not oxbridge which uni do you think? i have A* in all the sciences, that im certian of that :smile:thanks
Original post by waqarasim
at gcse im hoping to achieve between 5-8A* and the remainder A grades (total 10 gcse's). i should get the result next week.

if i continue A-levels at a similar standard will i be good enough for medicine, maybe even good enough for oxbridge? if not oxbridge which uni do you think? i have A* in all the sciences, that im certian of that :smile:thanks

*cringes*

Academically, you should be fine - that's a good number of A*s :biggrin:. If you get AAA at A-level then all should be good :smile: Though, as I'm sure about 50 other people on here will tell you, it's not all about grades. You'll need a good UKCAT/BMAT score, some work experience, some voluntary work and some interesting extra curricular activities, as well as a good personal statement and good references.

Applying to medicine is nice and straightforward :wink:

PS. Good luck for next Wednesday! :biggrin:
Original post by Joseppea
*cringes*

Academically, you should be fine - that's a good number of A*s :biggrin:. If you get AAA at A-level then all should be good :smile: Though, as I'm sure about 50 other people on here will tell you, it's not all about grades. You'll need a good UKCAT/BMAT score, some work experience, some voluntary work and some interesting extra curricular activities, as well as a good personal statement and good references.

Applying to medicine is nice and straightforward :wink:

PS. Good luck for next Wednesday! :biggrin:

Lols plus rep for you :awesome:

... or it would have been if it didn't say "please rate some other users first" :l
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Quackers93
Lols plus rep for you :awesome:

... or it would have been if it didn't say "please rate some other users first" :l

Aww, thanks for the effort. It won't let me + rep you either.

We live in such a brutal world.
Reply 6597
X

You type Yorkshire-like! :biggrin:
Original post by Ronove
You type Yorkshire-like! :biggrin:

:zomg: Which bit in particular? Or is it my over use of the word "like" lol Gotta love saying like - like :wink: I was originally a Londoner too :ashamed2: :tongue:
Reply 6599
:zomg: Which bit in particular? Or is it my over use of the word "like" lol Gotta love saying like - like :wink: I was originally a Londoner too :ashamed2: :tongue:

You miss out 'the' a few times and I can just hear a good old Northern glottal stop in the gap in my head. :biggrin: :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending