The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6720
Original post by Loulibelle
How do you do AR? Do you actually sit and work it out, or just go with your instinct? x

Hmmmm sorry know you were asking him but hey thought I'd butt in :wink:

errmmm when I was practicing I just tended to identify the most common sorts of patterns i.e. number of sides or colours, and then made sure I checked for them first before anything else :smile:
apart from that it was all instinct... and remember if it seems obvious.. thats probably because it is

Just did my UKCAT about a week ago :P ... hope it helps
anymore tips just ask
Original post by Godin_D

Original post by Godin_D
Hmmmm sorry know you were asking him but hey thought I'd butt in :wink:

errmmm when I was practicing I just tended to identify the most common sorts of patterns i.e. number of sides or colours, and then made sure I checked for them first before anything else :smile:
apart from that it was all instinct... and remember if it seems obvious.. thats probably because it is

Just did my UKCAT about a week ago :P ... hope it helps
anymore tips just ask

How did you do? x
Reply 6722
How did you do? x

Hey sorry errrmm I got average 770 :smile: .... believe me I nearly fainted.

VR: 780
QR: 700
AR:790
DA: 810
Original post by Godin_D

Original post by Godin_D

That's Amazing!! Well done!! I would CRY with joy if I got that!!!

I should be so lucky :frown:

Anyway... I don't think there's much more I can do. I'll do a QR mock tomorrow but apart from that I think I'm going to call it quits.

I think I will perform better if I'm relaxed :smile:
How do you do AR? Do you actually sit and work it out, or just go with your instinct? x

I just sit and see if any obvious pattern is there, if I can get it, good, if not or if I only get fractions of it, like one side has more black than the other, then I flag it up, and work it out or guess it at the end of the 15 minutes.
Reply 6725
I cant do medicine now can I?

For my AS results i got:

2E's (in Chemistry and Maths) and 2C's (in Biology and Psychology)

what else can i do?
Original post by Godin_D

OMG. That's amazing, well done you! Have you got any tips for QR? I spent most of yesterday crying as am averaging 370 on this section (others in mid 700s). I've got the UPO online stuff and the 600Q book but the book is too hard for me to do. Any help at all would be SO gladly received. And well done again!! Where u applying? Did you do math A level? x
Original post by joeypanic

OMG. That's amazing, well done you! Have you got any tips for QR? I spent most of yesterday crying as am averaging 370 on this section (others in mid 700s). I've got the UPO online stuff and the 600Q book but the book is too hard for me to do. Any help at all would be SO gladly received. And well done again!! Where u applying? Did you do math A level? x

Hello! I hear you about QR, I am massively failing it too- and I got 97% in maths As exam in June!! Maths A level isn't the same thing at all though... unfortunately!

I'm also suffering the wrath of AR :frown:

I'm becoming a panicky mess... so retiring from studying to try and relax!!

When's your test? Did you pay for the entire UPO question bank?

xxx
Hello! I hear you about QR, I am massively failing it too- and I got 97% in maths As exam in June!! Maths A level isn't the same thing at all though... unfortunately!

I'm also suffering the wrath of AR :frown:

I'm becoming a panicky mess... so retiring from studying to try and relax!!

When's your test? Did you pay for the entire UPO question bank?

xxx

Hey, I'm a graduate - haven't done maths in a decade, I'm so out of my depth! Sorry to hear you're struggling too but what an amazing As result - well done!!! :biggrin: With AR, I literally just pounded on it and got better because of practice. I was in such a state yesterday - couldn't calm down so with you on the panicky mess part. I'm not sure how to get better at this QR stuff - I'm running out of practice questions that I don't remember the answers too lol! I paid for the AR UPO and got the whole bank...weird. My test is a week tomorrow *pukes* Feel better hun xx
(edited 12 years ago)

Hey, I'm a graduate - haven't done maths in a decade, I'm so out of my depth! Sorry to hear you're struggling too but what an amazing As result - well done!!! :biggrin: With AR, I literally just pounded on it and got better because of practice. I was in such a state yesterday - couldn't calm down so with you on the panicky mess part. I'm not sure how to get better at this QR stuff - I'm running out of practice questions that I don't remember the answers too lol! I paid for the AR UPO and got the whole bank...weird. My test is a week tomorrow *pukes* Feel better hun xx

Yay, someone else with a career change :smile: I was a professional dancer/singer/actress... well, I didn't work for long, I decided to switch careers as soon as I graduated from training... not my cup of tea!!

I've run out of AR questions to do now and the individual sections aren't available in UPO any longer :frown:

My test is THURSDAY!!!

Hence, now it's time to relax and quit the stress!!

xxx
Yay, someone else with a career change :smile: I was a professional dancer/singer/actress... well, I didn't work for long, I decided to switch careers as soon as I graduated from training... not my cup of tea!!

I've run out of AR questions to do now and the individual sections aren't available in UPO any longer :frown:

My test is THURSDAY!!!

Hence, now it's time to relax and quit the stress!!

xxx

lol i was an actor before i started my first degree and found it wasn't my cuppa tea either! Have you tried these others for the AR http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992 ? Not that there's a lot. I also got some from the library. Enjoy relaxing x
I got aaab, but there's a query with one of my chem papers (which was the B), so that's being reassessed...

Can you tell me how you found the QR sections compared to the practice material you've used? x

Well done:biggrin:
what practice material are you using?
Original post by raman1
I cant do medicine now can I?

For my AS results i got:

2E's (in Chemistry and Maths) and 2C's (in Biology and Psychology)

what else can i do?

Who says you can't?
Granted you will have to work hard to pull those grades up to A's but its not impossible. Just do a few retakes in Year 13 maybe?
QR is waaay easier than in the books - but ar and vr is harder :sadnod: (da is roughly the same)
Reply 6734
Just did the Kaplan Practice Test and got 672.5 ... how does this score relate to the real UKCAT one?
is it roughly the same or better or worse?

AR IS HORRIBLEEEEEEEE, I got 550 or something crap like that, and it just pulls your average down >:frown:
anyone got any tips for AR... and QR while youre at it..

also any tips for pacing? :|

any help appreciated! xx
Reply 6735
Original post by itsrayray:)
Who says you can't?
Granted you will have to work hard to pull those grades up to A's but its not impossible. Just do a few retakes in Year 13 maybe?

but dont unis look at predicted grades n they would be expecting AAA
i got the relevant work experience n volunteering in a care home its sad its ended this way
Original post by raman1
but dont unis look at predicted grades n they would be expecting AAA
i got the relevant work experience n volunteering in a care home its sad its ended this way

Well yes they do but do you think there is no chance you'll be predicted that? If you explain and show how much harder you'll work to your teachers
Original post by itsrayray:)

[QUOTE=itsrayray[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];33597957]Well done:biggrin:

[QUOTE=itsrayray[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];33597957]Well done:biggrin:

I've used several books, the best one has been a small green one called "Succeeding in the UKCAT". I've got the 600Q book and another two... whose titles escape me now for they're all so similar!

I've used the Kaplan and UKCAT practice tests, as well as some other random ones I've found on google!!

xxx

I've used several books, the best one has been a small green one called "Succeeding in the UKCAT". I've got the 600Q book and another two... whose titles escape me now for they're all so similar!

I've used the Kaplan and UKCAT practice tests, as well as some other random ones I've found on google!!

xxx

I used the 600Q book and I personally found that the QR section in the actual test was easier than in the book, however, that is just me
xx
Original post by eemooz
Just did the Kaplan Practice Test and got 672.5 ... how does this score relate to the real UKCAT one?
is it roughly the same or better or worse?

AR IS HORRIBLEEEEEEEE, I got 550 or something crap like that, and it just pulls your average down >:frown:
anyone got any tips for AR... and QR while youre at it..

also any tips for pacing? :|

any help appreciated! xx

I got 40/65 on the Kaplan AR, not sure what score out of 900 that is but I think you could compare?

Latest

Trending

Trending