Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    Wow, sounds like you're going to have a busy year. Good luck for the sixth then, I got 707.5 on mine which I'm really happy with, but VR dragged it way down (560 ). Just keep calm and remember that QR is much easier than the practice, don't despair just yet
    woah woah woah :O

what were your other scores for the other sections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notsocleverstudent)
    woah woah woah :O

what were your other scores for the other sections?
    VR - 560; QR - 780; AR - 720; DA - 770

If you've got any questions feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    Wow, sounds like you're going to have a busy year. Good luck for the sixth then, I got 707.5 on mine which I'm really happy with, but VR dragged it way down (560 ). Just keep calm and remember that QR is much easier than the practice, don't despair just yet
    Nice one, well done. Yeah, VR is reallly awkward. I hate it when you get a passage on something complicated and it just won't sink in. At least your other scores were amazing enough to compensate for VR. Aww, that's good to know. I've never been good with numbers but the practices are just aaaawful.

Where you thinking of applying? You're guaranteed an interview anywhere UKCAT-y except Sheff, which is a really good start!

ReputationRep:
    Hey i got 4 As and a B:

Biology- B
    Chemistry- A
    Physics- A
    Maths- A
    Further Maths- A

Im applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Kings and Cardiff. Will the B in Biology affect my chances??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    Nice one, well done. Yeah, VR is reallly awkward. I hate it when you get a passage on something complicated and it just won't sink in. At least your other scores were amazing enough to compensate for VR. Aww, that's good to know. I've never been good with numbers but the practices are just aaaawful.

Where you thinking of applying? You're guaranteed an interview anywhere UKCAT-y except Sheff, which is a really good start!
    Oddly enough VR was my best section in the practice tests, I got 31/44 and 37/44 on practice tests 1/2, so I think nerves just got the better of me at the beginning.
    Not entirely sure were to apply yet. I quite liked the look of Newcastle so along with this score I expect I'll apply there for sure. Manchester I need to look into a bit more, and Barts I've just found out is completely changing how they select for interview to be based around UCAS Tariffs apparently .
    Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    Oddly enough VR was my best section in the practice tests, I got 31/44 and 37/44 on practice tests 1/2, so I think nerves just got the better of me at the beginning.
    Not entirely sure were to apply yet. I quite liked the look of Newcastle so along with this score I expect I'll apply there for sure. Manchester I need to look into a bit more, and Barts I've just found out is completely changing how they select for interview to be based around UCAS Tariffs apparently .
    Where are you thinking of applying?
    That sucks. I hate how so many things can influence your score... not enough sleep, nerves, bad luck etc.

But surely UKCAT must give you some advantage for Barts?
    I live in Newcastle and from stuff that the med school has put on for us it seems like a good choice. The city is so rainy though. :p:

Dunno yet, depends on UKCAT. I'm thinking Manc (if I get a decent UKCAT score :erm:), East Anglia (I'm not even sure how they use the UKCAT, come to think of it), Liverpool and... I don't know where else. Leicester/Glasgow/SGUL? Still need to think about that part. :p:

ReputationRep:
    How come everyone says Brimingham is 8 A*'s I contacted them and they confirmed it was seven and they take into account your AS Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuestion)
    How come everyone says Brimingham is 8 A*'s I contacted them and they confirmed it was seven and they take into account your AS Levels
    It is officially 7 but they have been known to up it to 8 when they've had a lot of applicants which numerous A*s

Although, you are right that this year they are taking AS results into account whereas they havent done in previous years.. so hopefully they wont up the requirement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    UKCAT is a pretty good reason to feel hopeless. :p:
    I'll second that. I screwed up majorly.

What can we do though?!

ReputationRep:
    I want to put oceanography as my 5th option... I know... entirely unrelated!

Do you think they will accept an addition ps submitted via post?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!!

Can I please have advice on where to apply?

I have
    GCSE's:: 7A*'s and 2A's.
    AS::: 4A's in Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Religious Education.
    UKCAT:: Average of 680.

Have work exp, volunteer work etc.

Thanks for any advice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Loulibelle)

wow, that's quite a different course! You might want to email the university first if you want to apply to oceanography as a 5th choice. I personally did so and some were willing to accept an alternate ps via email.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!!

I have

Thanks for any advice.
    Post this in the actual 'where should I apply' thread, but those are decent stats so i'd suggest avoid the heavy UKCAT universities and apply where you want.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey everyone!!

I have

Thanks for any advice.
    Try entering your academics into this program.

ReputationRep:

Be careful if you're applying for Oceanography at the same university as one of your medicine ones because (IIRC) they can see both subjects you're applying for, so they might think you're not completely dedicated to medicine.

I'd imagine they'd let you send another PS for oceanography though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabdi90)
    Hey i got 4 As and a B:

Biology- B
    Chemistry- A
    Physics- A
    Maths- A
    Further Maths- A

Im applying to Cambridge, Imperial, Kings and Cardiff. Will the B in Biology affect my chances??
    Cambridge want really high UMS marks 90%...though not sure if that's across the board or average. If you really want to apply, there's no harm trying, at least you won't have any regrets not trying.

ReputationRep:
    I'll second that. I screwed up majorly.

What can we do though?!
    Awww. But it's not your fault if you screwed up, the unis have got to take your granddad into consideration. How is he?

That's true, there are other options. Tbh, I don't understand why "aptitude" matters. If you've worked hard enough to get this far, then that's way more important than what your IQ is and it'll probably influence how you do at uni more.

ReputationRep:
    Went on my first St John duty today, and had a brief moment of shock when I saw a drawer labelled 'kidney dishes' in the first aid tent before I remembered what they actually were

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Went on my first St John duty today, and had a brief moment of shock when I saw a drawer labelled 'kidney dishes' in the first aid tent before I remembered what they actually were
    That's where they put people's kidneys when they fall out, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseppea)
    That's where they put people's kidneys when they fall out, right?
    Exactly what I thought for the first second I saw it, then quickly realised there usually aren't many kidneys in need of being put in dishes in first aid tents

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.