Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Keele, Birmingham

and I wouldn't call it "rubbish" =/
    no i jsut meant as if i performed bad in the UKCAT , my GCSE's are not really good enough for Birmingham , i would like to apply there but its a risk. i might look up keele now.

ReputationRep:
    .. no idea how to start my personal statement without being cliche..? is it even possible?

ReputationRep:
    AND, is it a risk if you're an english candiate applying at a scottish university? I'm only applying to one just to be safe.. though I like all of them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l.a.s)
    .. no idea how to start my personal statement without being cliche..? is it even possible?
    i heard nator got an amazing UKCAT score.
    i wanted to ask for a few tips, as to what i need to do
    for example in DA, how do i approach the question where i am given the phrase, and asked to choose which code to use?
    i can't translate every one, so do i look at the phrase, and look for coded words that must be there like "personal" or "negative"
    then just narrow down?
    What about the ones where you need to choose two of the best fit coded words? Do you look at the coded table and see if either words can be used in there/so do not need to be selected, or do you look at the message and then the coded words?
    Also for the AR, do i try to widen my imagination, and just learn a lot of rules in order to help me with this?
    How are you so good at spotting the relationships so quickly?
    For QR - what kinds of maths skills do i need? Do or should i practise my mental maths?
    For VR - this seems like the hardest section if you look at peoples scores - where do you all think you tripped up? – what is the new style of question like?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You don't get a predicted grade in the subject that you're dropping do you? I'm confused when people put their predictions as AAA and then little a. :L

Also if you're taking four subjects at A2 and you're predicted say A*AAA the offer unis give can only be three grades right?

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.
    I know oxford use a gcse A* percentage calculation, could someone help me calculate mine?
    Maths, Stats, English lang, English lit, Core science, bio, chem, physics all A*
    Geography A Drama B
    ICT OCR Dual award distinction (2A's)
    So, im confused becuase doesn't core science overlap with the others? And for the ICT does it count as two?
    Also, would they include the ICT since you cant get a A*'s in it?
    Any ideas on what sort of percentage they are looking for?
    Thanks, appreciate any help.

ReputationRep:
    i understand that the universities llook at your GCSE and ukcat score and then choose candidates based on that, but then when do they look at your AS grades and predicted A2 grades ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimmey)
    i understand that the universities llook at your GCSE and ukcat score and then choose candidates based on that, but then when do they look at your AS grades and predicted A2 grades ?
    What they look at varies massively between universities. Places like kings do it like how you described, whereas places like Birmingham do it based on GCSEs alone, Cambridge looks at AS UMS, etc. All universities look at A2 grades to check you have the right entry requirements, although some will give you extra points if you are predicted above the standard offer (e.g. A*A*A at an AAA university).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    What they look at varies massively between universities. Places like kings do it like how you described, whereas places like Birmingham do it based on GCSEs alone, Cambridge looks at AS UMS, etc. All universities look at A2 grades to check you have the right entry requirements, although some will give you extra points if you are predicted above the standard offer (e.g. A*A*A at an AAA university).
    Which ones give you extra points for an A* prediction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldbatty)
    Which ones give you extra points for an A* prediction?
    Can't remember most of them, fairly sure Leeds do, and Bart's new system gives a slight bonus to A* predictions. I think it's mostly the universities that have a point-based selection criteria that do so, you'll have to look into it some more I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    For schools to predict you an A* do you need to have 90%+ UMS in each individual module at AS, or could they still predict you if if you got 90+ in just the modules combined? Or.. is it up to the school, and what they think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    For schools to predict you an A* do you need to have 90%+ UMS in each individual module at AS, or could they still predict you if if you got 90+ in just the modules combined? Or.. is it up to the school, and what they think?
    :confused: Surely that depends entirely on your school. We can't tell you how your school runs itself. School predictions are up to your school to decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    The schools can predict you whatever they want, regardless of what you got at AS. Of course they're a lot more likely to predict an A* if you're on 90% or more. To get an A* you need 90% average at A2, not 90% in each module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    The schools can predict you whatever they want, regardless of what you got at AS. Of course they're a lot more likely to predict an A* if you're on 90% or more. To get an A* you need 90% average at A2, not 90% in each module.
    Oh thanks, that's where I was getting confused - I thought you needed 90% in each. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 126Ve960)
    I'm finding it pretty impossible
    Agreed. 20th draft later and it's starting to sound less cliche'd...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erotas)
    Hey, I can't really help you because I'm kind of confused aswell, but just wondering if you've resat a module in June, you can't apply to Nottingham? Or is that just because you have to cash in your results so they'll know? Thanks.
    Well nottingham allow one resit per subject, but prefer none, so i'm not willing to risk it, in case i do bad in January, it'd be a shame to waste a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssss)
    Agreed. 20th draft later and it's starting to sound less cliche'd...
    anything else just sounds really dull, anyway you can start it is basically just a short snappy way of saying "i wanna do medicine" but every reason for awnting to do medicine is cliche.. thus. impossible.. unless you start it with something else.. but.. naah

ReputationRep:
    Whats a really average UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHey789)
    About 620. TSR isn't really an accurate representation of the general population
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by SamHey789)
    It's supposed to be 600 in theory.. but every year it differs.

I think the UKCAT website produces a report each year which contains the average score but I could be mistaken

(Original post by Kidneyjean)
    About 620. TSR isn't really an accurate representation of the general population
    This :ditto:

Especially the part in bold :yep:
    It would be great if we could get the full spectrum of applicants on here, and it HAS gotten broader over the past couple years, but TSR is still very much above the average applicant.

Now I'd like to think that it's all the brilliant resources and advice we've got on the site.. and this could be true!
    But it's probably because if you score 540 average and you read about people getting 660 average then you don't want to post

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.