The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurie:)
my personal statement is pants :frown:

don't worry, mine is too :redface:
Original post by Normandy114
don't worry, mine is too :redface:

everybody i know has an epic reason why they want to do medicine, like an early childhood illness that only affects 1 in a gazillion people, or that they flew out to country in timbucktoo and performed emergency cardiac surgery

i have nothing like that! i came to the decision at 14 after some careful thinking and research! thats not very exciting!
Reply 7102
my personal statement is pants :frown:

It's so hard to get the end of it right! :confused:
Original post by maemg
It's so hard to get the end of it right! :confused:

i'm having more trouble with the beginning tbh - ive drafted out the rest of it about 20 times, but i've done the first paragraph 50 times and it's still incredibly cliche!!!
i'm having more trouble with the beginning tbh - ive drafted out the rest of it about 20 times, but i've done the first paragraph 50 times and it's still incredibly cliche!!!

If you reasons for initially thinking about medicine sound too cliche or boring, try what confirmed the interest like work experience or volunteering, that might work depending on how you do it.
Kinda tired of looking around now, so I decided to post and ask for a bit of help. I will be very thankful to whoever bothers to help me, so thanks in advance.

My situation:

-GCSE's: 9A*'s, 1A (Hopefully they will be contextualised as I went to a low performing school)
-AS Results: AAAA (96% overall in Physics) (My schools publishes AS grades)
-A2 Predictions (Very certain): A*AAA
-UKCAT: 710 Average.
Personal statement: 500 characters over, finding it very hard to cut down.
-Experience: 1 Year volunteering in hospital, 1 Year volunteering in old peoples home, 2 weeks internship at pharmacy, 1 week medical-research workshop thing at Manchester university (got to do actual medical research), a day learning about research at christies hospital.
-Other stuff: Chess prefect at school. I run Medical society. Keen tennis player. Done the Rotary Youth Leadership Award. Tutored year 7 pupils with bad English skills to improve their reading.

My Choices:

-Oxford (My chosen college or open application?)
-Birmingham (Because of more than 8 A* GCSE's)
-The other choices I do not know... I have a decent UKCAT, but I do not know to which uni to apply, to make use of that. Birmingham don't look at it much. <-- This is my first question, i.e. Where to apply to to make the best use of what I have?

The other problem is, that I really haven't been to any open days (personal reasons), so I am going by what other people have said about the open day and what I find online.

And my second question is: Should I put in an open application to Oxford or one for my chosen college?

Many thanks in advance, please quote me so I can find my post in these 300 pages of 'madness' :biggrin:.
Reply 7106

Yea its hard i got my idea for the beginning from a medical journal... i think.
Hey guys :biggrin:

Would really really appreciate it if someone could help me.

I have 6A*, 4A's at GCSE.

AS Grades - AAAB (B in chemistry)

Predicted grades - A*AAA

UKCAT 662.5.

I was thinking of applying to Manchester and Glasgow and 2 undecided . Is there anything here that will affect my chances of getting in to these 2.

and what 2 others would you recommend.

Thanks for the help guys, really,really appreciate it.
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero
x

Does your school publish your AS-level grades? If they do, this may hurt your application as most, if not all medical school want you to have A in chemistry.
Not too sure to be honest. But they did tell us they don't 'Cash in' our AS grades untill the end of our last year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Not too sure to be honest. But they did tell us they don't 'Cash in' our AS grades untill the end of our last year.

Yes, that's what I meant. That means that universities will look at your predictions instead (You are unbelievably lucky that your school doesn't publish the results). And with those grades you are ok. Manchester had an average cut-off point of 645 last year, so you are well clear of that. Stay away from Birmingham (as they require 8A*'s and above at GCSE) and other UKCAT heavy unis (Newcastle, Sheffield) which have high UKCAT cut offs and you'll be fine.

PS: Can somebody look at mine plz? Feels kinda bad to be asking, but I am away for the whole of next week on a stupid biology coursework, to do ecology crap XD. So time is an issue for me :frown:
Original post by The Russian
Yes, that's what I meant. That means that universities will look at your predictions instead (You are unbelievably lucky that your school doesn't publish the results). And with those grades you are ok. Manchester had an average cut-off point of 645 last year, so you are well clear of that. Stay away from Birmingham (as they require 8A*'s and above at GCSE) and other UKCAT heavy unis (Newcastle, Sheffield) which have high UKCAT cut offs and you'll be fine.

PS: Can somebody look at mine plz? Feels kinda bad to be asking, but I am away for the whole of next week on a stupid biology coursework, to do ecology crap XD. So time is an issue for me :frown:

Honestly, that looks like a very, very strong application, which will have a good chance at interview for the majority of places. Kings is a good idea, as they interview based upon a combination of GCSEs and UKCAT, both of which you have done well above average in. Your AS grades are good as well, which is something UCL are quite keen on, although I would be cautious of applying to two BMAT universities and risking it when you stand a good chance elsewhere as well. Seeing as I have no idea how good your personal statement or references are I can't comment on that, but that work experience does look quite impressive.
Honestly, that looks like a very, very strong application, which will have a good chance at interview for the majority of places. Kings is a good idea, as they interview based upon a combination of GCSEs and UKCAT, both of which you have done well above average in. Your AS grades are good as well, which is something UCL are quite keen on, although I would be cautious of applying to two BMAT universities and risking it when you stand a good chance elsewhere as well. Seeing as I have no idea how good your personal statement or references are I can't comment on that, but that work experience does look quite impressive.

Wow, thanks :biggrin:. Kinda motivated me to go off and do more work on my EPQ lol. Yeah forgot to mention my EPQ in "Whether the danger of use of ionizing radiation in medicine is justifiable" (Typical Russian topic :biggrin:). Doing this out of a slight interest in oncology, although I know I must choose medicine with an open mind. O.o, I liked the overall impression of Kings from what I read, but accommodation is going to be quite expensive considering I am not an oil-rich Russian tycoon (yet :biggrin:).
Thanks, but yeah, I have been warned against 2 BMAT unis, considering I've not done it yet. I also REALLY liked the look of Imperial, but they are BMAT too. I had my PS checked by like 3 current med undergraduates so far, all of whom said it was good and just adjusted the grammar (Because I am crap at grammar, since I am not native English XD)
I wouldn't count that work experience as being that big, considering I have no medical connections at all, and nobody in my family is in the medical sector. I had to arrange all of the work shadowing myself which was a pain in the backside, but it isn't as impressive as some of the work shadowing done by people I know (They go for work shadowing all over the world, one guy went to Beijing hospital for 2 weeks), and people who I met on an oxbridge conference, all seemed to be perfect candidates lol. I know that it isn't how much you do, but what you take away from it, but I cannot help but feel intimidated by some of these 'perfect candidates'.
Original post by The Russian
Wow, thanks :biggrin:. Kinda motivated me to go off and do more work on my EPQ lol. Yeah forgot to mention my EPQ in "Whether the danger of use of ionizing radiation in medicine is justifiable" (Typical Russian topic :biggrin:). Doing this out of a slight interest in oncology, although I know I must choose medicine with an open mind. O.o, I liked the overall impression of Kings from what I read, but accommodation is going to be quite expensive considering I am not an oil-rich Russian tycoon (yet :biggrin:).
Thanks, but yeah, I have been warned against 2 BMAT unis, considering I've not done it yet. I also REALLY liked the look of Imperial, but they are BMAT too. I had my PS checked by like 3 current med undergraduates so far, all of whom said it was good and just adjusted the grammar (Because I am crap at grammar, since I am not native English XD)
I wouldn't count that work experience as being that big, considering I have no medical connections at all, and nobody in my family is in the medical sector. I had to arrange all of the work shadowing myself which was a pain in the backside, but it isn't as impressive as some of the work shadowing done by people I know (They go for work shadowing all over the world, one guy went to Beijing hospital for 2 weeks), and people who I met on an oxbridge conference, all seemed to be perfect candidates lol. I know that it isn't how much you do, but what you take away from it, but I cannot help but feel intimidated by some of these 'perfect candidates'.

Ah I gotta do my EPQ too, end of project review deadline is end of the month! Doing mine on motor neuron disease, and if palliative care is better than drugs for treating it. Only on 1k or so words at the moment, but it's on the back burner until UCAS is out of the way.
Your work experience volunteering in a hospital and care home both sound good, but it's all about how you write about it on the personal statement. I also come from a non-medical background so I know exactly what you mean when you say it was a pain in the backside, took me several months to organise a week shadowing a consultant, but it was worth it in the end. International work experience, whilst certainly sounding spectacular, isn't actually that great. Work experience is all about making sure a candidate knows what being a doctor's job is like, and how the NHS works. UK doctors may have a very different career to those in Beijing, and shadowing a doctor there is a lot less relevant than shadowing one here.
Sorry for another post but I really need help in this and can't find an answer.

At AS I have;

188/200 - A - Geography
170/200 - A - History
245/300 - A - Biology
235/300 - B - Chemistry

Now my school will predict me A*AAA. Will the B in chemistry seriously affect my chances of getting into Manchester University. Considering my school do not 'cash in' our AS grades untill next year.

Manchester says "Unit grade information: The University of Manchester welcomes the provision of unit grade information which, like all other available information, will inform the consideration of applications. Unit grades will not normally form part of offer conditions, except for Mathematics programmes."

What does this mean I have to do ?
Please help !! :frown:

-snip-

It shouldn't be an issue, lots of people have got offers with AAAB or worse at A level. I imagine it will only be places like Cambridge or maybe UCL that would disadvantage you, as long as you have that all important prediction of AAA+ it's fine.
Ah I gotta do my EPQ too, end of project review deadline is end of the month! Doing mine on motor neuron disease, and if palliative care is better than drugs for treating it. Only on 1k or so words at the moment, but it's on the back burner until UCAS is out of the way.
Your work experience volunteering in a hospital and care home both sound good, but it's all about how you write about it on the personal statement. I also come from a non-medical background so I know exactly what you mean when you say it was a pain in the backside, took me several months to organise a week shadowing a consultant, but it was worth it in the end. International work experience, whilst certainly sounding spectacular, isn't actually that great. Work experience is all about making sure a candidate knows what being a doctor's job is like, and how the NHS works. UK doctors may have a very different career to those in Beijing, and shadowing a doctor there is a lot less relevant than shadowing one here.

... have you finished your extended project? :eek: or even nearly finished it? Our final (like final final) deadline was Feburary last year, your's is so early, I feel bad for you :/ :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
... have you finished your extended project? :eek: or even nearly finished it? Our final (like final final) deadline was Feburary last year, your's is so early, I feel bad for you :/ :tongue:

Ah not quite finished, was supposed to have been finished by the end of summer but not quite there haha. I've done about 1,500 words of it so it's coming along nicely, 30% of the way. Yeah the year above us had to do it before February, but then they complained that it got in the way of the January exams, so they've moved it so it interferes with our UCAS application :erm:. I think the year below us have to finish it before the end of their school year, so moved earlier once again. I've done all the research so far so just have to write it all, but finding time/motivation is difficult. How did yours go?
Ah not quite finished, was supposed to have been finished by the end of summer but not quite there haha. I've done about 1,500 words of it so it's coming along nicely, 30% of the way. Yeah the year above us had to do it before February, but then they complained that it got in the way of the January exams, so they've moved it so it interferes with our UCAS application :erm:. I think the year below us have to finish it before the end of their school year, so moved earlier once again. I've done all the research so far so just have to write it all, but finding time/motivation is difficult. How did yours go?

Hahaha I know that feeling. Think every deadline I just scrapped but I got away with it. Both me and my friend were at that stage in January and it was due in on 14th Feb but then I got on a roll and instead of writting 5k, I hit 7k and was told off! apprently you're only allowed to go 10% over I think :s

Schools are just stupid. Tbh I'd rather have had it over Jan exams than over ucas. Particularly for people who's uni apps are so so so so essential. Over jan exams no one did anything of their extended, but the break did most people good.

I could never get motivated. I did mine on a stupid topic (nice big long word of Haemochromatosis XD) that it took me ages to actually find stuff for. I think I researched as I wrote. See if one day you feel like doing it, do it! Even if it's get up early, work for a few hours, go back to bed, then get up and do some more. (I found that actually really worked for me, did it right throughout year like with revision - apprently it helps you remember more and refreshes your brain :tongue: )

Got there in the end and didn't do too badly, got 49 or 50/50 so A* :tongue: Good luck with finishing yours! :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
Hahaha I know that feeling. Think every deadline I just scrapped but I got away with it. Both me and my friend were at that stage in January and it was due in on 14th Feb but then I got on a roll and instead of writting 5k, I hit 7k and was told off! apprently you're only allowed to go 10% over I think :s

Schools are just stupid. Tbh I'd rather have had it over Jan exams than over ucas. Particularly for people who's uni apps are so so so so essential. Over jan exams no one did anything of their extended, but the break did most people good.

I could never get motivated. I did mine on a stupid topic (nice big long word of Haemochromatosis XD) that it took me ages to actually find stuff for. I think I researched as I wrote. See if one day you feel like doing it, do it! Even if it's get up early, work for a few hours, go back to bed, then get up and do some more. (I found that actually really worked for me, did it right throughout year like with revision - apprently it helps you remember more and refreshes your brain :tongue: )

Got there in the end and didn't do too badly, got 49 or 50/50 so A* :tongue: Good luck with finishing yours! :smile:

Wow good job, I'm hoping for an A, but an A* would certainly be nice :wink:
Yeah, my school wants all of the UCAS applications in on Friday, so once that's out of the way I'll sort out the EP and then finally, relax :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending