Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maemg)
    I would imagine,from looking at tsr, that most people would be scoring pretty highly in the gcse part . I thought leicester used the UKCAT alot anyway? Correct me if i'm wrong please.
    I know - they use it directly in conjunction with your GCSE grades for ranking people for interviews.

I really hope there aren't too many applicants for Leicester from here

ReputationRep:
    I got a score of 51 in their rating system

I don't think I'll be applying here

ReputationRep:
    yea i'd say you would need something like 55 or higher to stand a good chance .

ReputationRep:
    They said at the open day that they're looking to remove the bottom end of candidates, ie bottom 15-25% that way. I think that the cut off will probably be 53-54.

ReputationRep:
    Hii

Basically I started EPQ last week and I'm now thinking it wont add much to my application as I dont really plan on mentioning it in my personal statement. However, I spoke to my tutor about it today and she was adamant that doing the EPQ would look really good.

Is it really such an advantage??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    Hii

Basically I started EPQ last week and I'm now thinking it wont add much to my application as I dont really plan on mentioning it in my personal statement. However, I spoke to my tutor about it today and she was adamant that doing the EPQ would look really good.

Is it really such an advantage??

Thanks
    I found it was an advantage cause I had an interview at St. Andrews and they give you an article to read and answer questions on, and the article was more or less along the lines of my EP. Although something like that can never be guaranteed, it also gave me stuff to talk about and refer too so it did come in useful

Also if you're going for a PBL course it shows you can learn independently and blah blah blah

ReputationRep:
    Quick question:

How do they rank graduates for University of Leicester using their new system? I'm thinking of applying for 5 years....but I'm not sure how they do it. :confused: Is it UKCAT + degree classification? Any help appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Right, all you knowledgable people out there...

Who knows applicant/offer (or places) ratio for UCL, BSMS, Bristol and Southampton??? X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loulibelle)
    Right, all you knowledgable people out there...

Who knows applicant/offer (or places) ratio for UCL, BSMS, Bristol and Southampton??? X
    UCL: 7:1
    BSMS: 16:1
    Bristol: 17:1
    Southampton: 11:1

taken from: http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/Medical-School.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Imperial, Kings, Leicester and Brighton & Sussex for me!

ReputationRep:
    which uni's are big on predited grades? i'm predicted A*A*A btw
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by manderson)
    Quick question:

How do they rank graduates for University of Leicester using their new system? I'm thinking of applying for 5 years....but I'm not sure how they do it. :confused: Is it UKCAT + degree classification? Any help appreciated!
    I don't know your answer atm and it's too late to check.. though I will suggest looking in this thead: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1021440 for graduate entry stuff and the regular people on there really do know their stuff :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ariadne xox)
    Having trouble deciding.

I'm definitely going to apply to Sheffield and Newcastle, but I can't decide the other two.

It's between: UCL, Leeds, Cardiff, Liverpool, Barts and Manchester.

:emo:
    Can I ask how you revised for the ukcat? I'm taking it soon and don't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseppea)
    I think it's around 58...somehow xD

I'd imagine your score of 55/56 would still bag you an interview, so don't get too disheartened
    Can you please explain the scoring system?? I havn't heard of it until now? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffron)
    Can you please explain the scoring system?? I havn't heard of it until now? Thank you!
    Sure, no problem

They rank your top 6 gcses (Including maths, English and science.)
    A* = 5
    A = 4
    B = 3 etc.

Add that up to get a score out of 30.

Then they rank your UKCAT as follows:
    Total score:
    3000+ = 30
    2900-3000 = 29
    2800-2900 = 28
    2700-2800 = 27 etc.

Then you add them together to get a score out of 60. I imagine they interview people around the 50 mark? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm actually looking into Medicine 2013 entry but I'm thinking a year ahead. In my GCSE's I got 10 A*'s and I know Birmingham want a minimum of 7 A*'s so I will probably apply there as it is favourable to me, but do any other places have GCSE requirements that would favour my application?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hannah1994)
    Hey, I'm actually looking into Medicine 2013 entry but I'm thinking a year ahead. In my GCSE's I got 10 A*'s and I know Birmingham want a minimum of 7 A*'s so I will probably apply there as it is favourable to me, but do any other places have GCSE requirements that would favour my application?
    Oxford places a lot of emphasis on GCSEs. Leeds also has a scoring system which favours high GCSE Results and A2 Predictions.

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAB (b in chemistry at AS) but im predicted all A's. and 11 A*s and 2As at GCSE I got like 630 UKCAT and im thinking of applying to Imperial, Birmingham, Nottingham and Hull York as they said they could offer AAB if i dont get my A in chem or something and University of Bradford for Clinical Sciences. I need some advice/ suggestions please! thanks

ReputationRep:
    Actually Vulpes, ive got an email from leeds to say they dont take into account ASs. Regardless, that academic section is still less than 40% of pre-interview which is not that high.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Actually Vulpes, ive got an email from leeds to say they dont take into account ASs. Regardless, that academic section is still less than 40% of pre-interview which is not that high.
    Alright

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.