The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7280
Original post by Beska
Bah yeh - of course they did! I got confused between SGUL and Soton. :o: Good to know though, thanks!

Love the new avatar-better for my Sunday morning screenwatch........
Reply 7281
Original post by oldbatty
Love the new avatar-better for my Sunday morning screenwatch........

I have been touched by His noodly appendege on this most tasty o' days. Praise be t' t' Flyin' Spaghetti Monster!
Does anyone know how Leeds uses The UKCAT? X
Reply 7283
Original post by Beska
I have been touched by His noodly appendege on this most tasty o' days. Praise be t' t' Flyin' Spaghetti Monster!

Do you think the gap year has finally got to you.............................I'm more a 'hoops' girl myself
Original post by Loulibelle

Original post by Loulibelle
Does anyone know how Leeds uses The UKCAT? X

http://wiki.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT
Original post by SamHey789
I got 2570 - 643.5 average, i'm happy with that, too low for Newcastle but ah well!

What's the cut off point for Newcastle for the UKCAT?
Reply 7286
I just have a few questions about my personal statement, if anybody could help me out I'd be very grateful :biggrin: basically I've done my first draft and I've given it to our sixth form's higher education guy (in charge of UCAS etc) and he gave me some suggestions, a couple of which I don't really agree with, I was wondering what you guys thought!

1) He said I should write a bit about my subjects... but I thought because a lot of people would be doing pretty much the same subjects, there's not much point in saying "i picked chemistry because..." cos if I didn't have to pick it, I wouldn't have :tongue: !

2) I wrote at the start of my volunteering paragraph:
"I was unfortunately unable to gain any voluntary placements in care homes or hospices as I am under 18, however instead I volunteer weekly with children aged 5-7 in Rainbows"...
And he crossed out the "unfortunately etc", leaving only the fact that I work with rainbows.
Do you think I should leave it in, because admissions people usually look for some sort of caring-environment work?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 7287
Original post by loz876
I just have a few questions about my personal statement, if anybody could help me out I'd be very grateful :biggrin: basically I've done my first draft and I've given it to our sixth form's higher education guy (in charge of UCAS etc) and he gave me some suggestions, a couple of which I don't really agree with, I was wondering what you guys thought!

1) He said I should write a bit about my subjects... but I thought because a lot of people would be doing pretty much the same subjects, there's not much point in saying "i picked chemistry because..." cos if I didn't have to pick it, I wouldn't have :tongue: !

"I was unfortunately unable to gain any voluntary placements in care homes or hospices as I am under 18, however instead I volunteer weekly with children aged 5-7 in Rainbows"...
And he crossed out the "unfortunately etc", leaving only the fact that I work with rainbows.
Do you think I should leave it in, because admissions people usually look for some sort of caring-environment work?

By writing about your subjects you are showing an academic interest
Reply 7288
Hi I hope here's okay to post this :smile:

I'm wondering if doing 4 A levels will improve my chances of success as a medicine applicant. It just seems like so many applicants are taking 4 and I'm worried my application isn't that strong. I dropped psychology even though it was my best mark at AS, do you think it's worth taking it back up or better to concentrate on the 3 I'm currently doing?
Also what do people think my chances are at Cambridge/Imperial? I'm not too sure.

GCSEs: 4 A* 7 A
AS: AAAB (B in Chemistry, which I'm retaking to get to A hopefully)
A2 Predicted: A*AA
UKCAT: 682.5 Avg

Any advice/comments are welcome. Thanks!
Original post by sa.chan
Hi I hope here's okay to post this :smile:

I'm wondering if doing 4 A levels will improve my chances of success as a medicine applicant.

Generally no, unless you're applying to somewhere that wants loads of UCAS points (like Barts' weird new system iirc :confused:) or if you feel you might want to do 4 so you have a subject to fall back on if you get a B in one of them. (Though spending the extra time on doing 4 might cause another grade to suffer etc.) :biggrin:

PS. Good luck :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7290
worried my ukcats a bit low..662.5? 8A*s and 4A's at AS. have a lot of work exp and voluntary work, music sport etc. stuck with uni choices, from belfast so weve only queens to choose from! maybe dundee aberdeen and somewhere else..advice?
Reply 7291
Original post by oldbatty
By writing about your subjects you are showing an academic interest

Im in the same position! didnt know whether to include anything to do with subjects..definately dont have any room to fit them in..some people say that people put them in for "padding" and if they dont have a lot else to talk about!
Reply 7292
Original post by Nightmare
What's the cut off point for Newcastle for the UKCAT?

how do you know its too low? did you ring them?
Reply 7293
Original post by demesto
In the UCAS form, under additional information, there are 2 slots for 'activities in preparation for higher education'. How do you add more? - or are there only supposed to be 2 slots?

What do they mean? can you give me an example of an activity?
Hey, I just did my UKCAT today, and am trying to decide which med schools to apply to =]
My GCSEs are 9A*s and an A (in electronics), AAAAA at AS (Maths, Biol, Chem, Phys, 16th cent hist), taking all but history to A2, predictions, A*A*A*A (not confirmed, just based on AS UMS)
I have decided I'm gonna have a crack at Oxford coz it's AMAZING! And I really like Birmingham, so I have 2 places remaining and I don't wanna go to London, which rules out the other BMAT unis, so UKCAT unis it is =]
My UKCAT was VR: 730 QR: 760 AR: 790 DA: 670 (avg 737.5). I'm thinking Nottingham, maybe edinburgh, sheffield, (not Newcastle coz I wanna move away from home). Grateful for any suggestions or recommendations =] Also, u think I'm aiming too high, uni-wise?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7295
Original post by Joseppea
Generally no, unless you're applying to somewhere that wants loads of UCAS points (like Barts' weird new system iirc :confused:) or if you feel you might want to do 4 so you have a subject to fall back on if you get a B in one of them. (Though spending the extra time on doing 4 might cause another grade to suffer etc.) :biggrin:

PS. Good luck :biggrin:

Hmm okay. Thanks for that! I just keep getting worries.. worried about getting rejected and thinking 'what if i did so and so' when I know I had the potential to. bleh lol
Reply 7296
Original post by Sophia56
What do they mean? can you give me an example of an activity?

activities in preparation for higher education such as work shops or campus days.
Original post by loz876

I agree with you on 1, but he might be right in suggesting that you talk about a piece of relevant science learnt at AS level which interests you.

He's right about B, any explanations like that should be left to your reference
Original post by sa.chan
Hmm okay. Thanks for that! I just keep getting worries.. worried about getting rejected and thinking 'what if i did so and so' when I know I had the potential to. bleh lol

Well if you think you can do it, and do it well, then what harm? :smile:

I'm doing 4 this year, seems to be going alright so far...
Who knows the application vs offer/place ratio for UCL? x

Latest

Trending

Trending