Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Submitting my UCAS application in a few minutes/hours, making final adjustments to my PS, big stuff! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Who is going to the Leeds open day on 8th October?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    oh wow, this makes me respect people who get into Oxbridge/kings so much more lol

thats a hugeee risk. I wish these schools accepted the MCAT It's so similar to the BMAT and I wouldn't have to take this massive risk.

sigh.
    Kings use the UKCAT.

It's not all that big a risk, seeing as everyone else going for Oxbridge/UCL and Imperial is in the same situation.

ReputationRep:
    ah that is true. same risk for all. And thanks for the clarification, it was my mistake :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    Who is going to the Leeds open day on 8th October?
    meeeee am applying there and have to submit my UCAS form next week (before visiting) so I better like it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alt31)
    meeeee am applying there and have to submit my UCAS form next week (before visiting) so I better like it!
    I've just sent off pretty much my last draft to my UCAS co ordinator. Deadline is Friday. And I'm here procrastinating. :lol:
    If I don't like it I'm going to pretty *****d

ReputationRep:
    I've just sent off pretty much my last draft to my UCAS co ordinator. Deadline is Friday. And I'm here procrastinating. :lol:
    If I don't like it I'm going to pretty *****d
    I loved leeds.. already sent an application for there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsNorthman)
    I loved leeds.. already sent an application for there!
    Looks nice too. And the student selected component modules look interesting. Also it's close enough to home so I can come back to visit and far enough so that I can gain some independence. Perfect.

ReputationRep:
    Looks nice too. And the student selected component modules look interesting. Also it's close enough to home so I can come back to visit and far enough so that I can gain some independence. Perfect.
    Hahah I come from Devon so pretty far for meee!

ReputationRep:
    If you've mentioned coming from a medical background / your mum/dad being a medic in your Personal statement (going on to say you've gained an insight into the realities of a medical career) does it go against you??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giraffegiraffe)
    If you've mentioned coming from a medical background / your mum/dad being a medic in your Personal statement (going on to say you've gained an insight into the realities of a medical career) does it go against you??
    I cant see it directly going against you, it just depends how you say it. The tutors want to be sure that you aren't doing medicine just cause everyone else in your family is...just to follow tradition.

If you portray it that way then hell yeah it goes against you.

Also, make sure that it is THE reason you are applying to medicine. If it's actually not the main reason you like Medicine, don't use it cause many try to approach it that way and it's just a huge cliche now.

ReputationRep:
    as long as you phrase it right then it shouldn't be a problem.
    ie saying you know firsthand about the long hours, demands etc by coming from a medical family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    as long as you phrase it right then it shouldn't be a problem.
    ie saying you know firsthand about the long hours, demands etc by coming from a medical family?
    thanks Yep sort of to show awareness of the disadvantages to a career in medicine (but will phrase it a bit better) - someone told me it would go against me so wasn't sure?

Also are you putting a 5th choice?

ReputationRep:
    thanks Yep sort of to show awareness of the disadvantages to a career in medicine (but will phrase it a bit better) - someone told me it would go against me so wasn't sure?

Also are you putting a 5th choice?
    yeah something along those lines to show you understand the disadvantages as well as the positives. i can only think it would go against you if you just said 'i come from a medical family so i know all about medicine' without expanding then it would go against you.

yeah, since im a reapplicant i don't think it would be viable to take a second gap year so chemistry at edinburgh is going to be mine. what about you?

ReputationRep:
    atomos, what schools did you apply to last year? Were you able to secure any interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    atomos, what schools did you apply to last year? Were you able to secure any interviews?
    aberdeen, edinburgh, dundee & st andrews.
    i got an interview at st andrews which in my feedback they said i was given the 'top mark' for, but my ukcat was on the lower side and my grades were 'average', so it didn't matter in the end.

dundee rejected me straight away at christmas, and everywhere else didn't reject me until march - gutted.

ReputationRep:
    i got an interview at st andrews which in my feedback they said i was given the 'top mark' for, but my ukcat was on the lower side and my grades were 'average', so it didn't matter in the end.

dundee rejected me straight away at christmas, and everywhere else didn't reject me until march - gutted.
    Do St. Andrews put a lot of weight on GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sixthelement)
    Do St. Andrews put a lot of weight on GCSEs?
    no idea sorry because I'm scottish.
    but in my standard grades (equivalent to gcse's) i got 8 ones which is the highest you can get and still was given an average grade score so who knows!

ReputationRep:

Oh wow, sorry about the late rejections, I guess those are the worst. I wanted to apply to Dundee at first because the admissions tutor I was speaking with sounded really optimistic about my application, however my UKCAT is on the average side so I doubt my chances are high. I am really surprised Aberdeen rejected you outright, I thought they were one of the more lenient schools Now im really confused as to where to apply because being an international applicant my chances are also pretty slim lol.

I am just counting on my strong grades, PS and reference to help me because my UKCAT is shot to hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Oh wow, sorry about the late rejections, I guess those are the worst. I wanted to apply to Dundee at first because the admissions tutor I was speaking with sounded really optimistic about my application, however my UKCAT is on the average side so I doubt my chances are high. I am really surprised Aberdeen rejected you outright, I thought they were one of the more lenient schools Now im really confused as to where to apply because being an international applicant my chances are also pretty slim lol.

I am just counting on my strong grades, PS and reference to help me because my UKCAT is shot to hell.
    Yeah, and they all came within about a week of each other so it was pretty tough on me! I can't say for certain where would be 'safe' for you to apply, you do probably stand a good chance at either Dundee or Aberdeen.
    My feedback from Aberdeen only really said 'we can only score applicants on work experience they have completed' - because in my ps I had mentioned that I had arranged work exp in a gp (but this was from the 16th october, a day after the deadline so I couldn't write in present tense).
    Probably best is to just re-read the prospectuses, make sure your PS fits everything they ask for, then just go for the course you think sounds better.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 14, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.