x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InkyOne)
    Newcastle cutoff is ATM 680, but could decrease
    hopefully it won't go up, because I got exactly 680 avg! :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz876)
    hopefully it won't go up, because I got exactly 680 avg! :crossedf:
    It shouldn't go up, if they interview person x with 680 then that means the cut off should be <=680.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    It shouldn't go up, if they interview person x with 680 then that means the cut off should be &lt;=680.
    i can't remember where i've heard this but i have heard somewhere of cut offs rising as the university realising the standard of the candidates they have received. like, for example, birmingham raising the gcse requirements slightly half way through the selection process. it might be different for newcastle but it could happen.

wow, that just put a dampner on things

ReputationRep:
    the St A's course is 6 years cause you graduate with a BSc from St A's after three years and then you move from there - sort of like the oxbridge method of medical teaching which i liked but could never get into

if i got into kings i'd either stay at home or if my friend gets in too, we'll share a private flat, because we both live about five or ten mins away from the uni, chances are we wouldnt get accomodation. that and the fact that i am terribly lazy and love the fact that i wouldnt have to travel very far to get to lectures
    Oh right, that makes sense. Is that what the transfer stuff is about? Manchester is so random though, it's not like Manc is even close to Scotland. :p: I just googled St. Andrews, it looks like Hogwarts!

Haha, that sounds like a plan, here's hoping you both get in. It'll be good because if you ever fancy home cooked food you can get it. :p: I'm desperately trying to learn to cook this year but I'm hopeless at it, I just can't get stuff to taste nice. Worrying because I'm going to have to cook for people on my gap yahhh :eek:

(Original post by laurie:))
    i can't remember where i've heard this but i have heard somewhere of cut offs rising as the university realising the standard of the candidates they have received. like, for example, birmingham raising the gcse requirements slightly half way through the selection process. it might be different for newcastle but it could happen.

wow, that just put a dampner on things
    Last year Newcastle put the cut-off down because they didn't like enough people that they interviewed, my friend was below the initial cut-off but she ended up getting an interview (+ offer) as they lowered it. The 680 thing is a gutter, one person I know who I applied to Ncl meets that, how do UKCAT cut offs keep increasing, they need to level off soon, ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parle à ma main)
    Oh right, that makes sense. Is that what the transfer stuff is about? Manchester is so random though, it's not like Manc is even close to Scotland. :p: I just googled St. Andrews, it looks like Hogwarts!

Haha, that sounds like a plan, here's hoping you both get in. It'll be good because if you ever fancy home cooked food you can get it. :p: I'm desperately trying to learn to cook this year but I'm hopeless at it, I just can't get stuff to taste nice. Worrying because I'm going to have to cook for people on my gap yahhh :eek:

Last year Newcastle put the cut-off down because they didn't like enough people that they interviewed, my friend was below the initial cut-off but she ended up getting an interview (+ offer) as they lowered it. The 680 thing is a gutter, one person I know who I applied to Ncl meets that, how do UKCAT cut offs keep increasing, they need to level off soon, ffs
    you have to transfer out because they don't have a hospital to do clinicals in
    and <3 hogwarts

well, i love to cook, i wanted to be a chef before i decided to do medicine so i reckon i can cook alright so if i fancy home cooked food i could just make it myself!

what are you planning on doing during your gap year?

<3 newcastle, hate the stress of ukcat cut offs :'(

ReputationRep:
    So gutted, I generally wanted to apply Newcastle and St Georges but didn't think my UKCAT was good enough, now I feel like I might've played it to safe and have put myself in a worser condition with barts getting a rise in applicants and leicester putting more of a emphasis on GCSE's this year.

ReputationRep:
    you have to transfer out because they don't have a hospital to do clinicals in
    and <3 hogwarts

well, i love to cook, i wanted to be a chef before i decided to do medicine so i reckon i can cook alright so if i fancy home cooked food i could just make it myself!

what are you planning on doing during your gap year?

<3 newcastle, hate the stress of ukcat cut offs :'(
    Ah right, that makes sense.

Oh, yeah, I've seen your blog, your food looks amazing! Could you always cook that well or was it something you learned? You could totally get a business going by making malnourished uni students mum-food. :p:

Au pair in Paris, it's annoying because you're meant to start submitting applications and that in Jan but that's when exams are. And the nightmare scenario is that I miss my grades and have to cancel my gap year to do another year of sixth form. :puke:

At least you know you're guaranteed an interview! Yours should come soon since you're over 700?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parle à ma main)
    Ah right, that makes sense.

Oh, yeah, I've seen your blog, your food looks amazing! Could you always cook that well or was it something you learned? You could totally get a business going by making malnourished uni students mum-food. :p:

Au pair in Paris, it's annoying because you're meant to start submitting applications and that in Jan but that's when exams are. And the nightmare scenario is that I miss my grades and have to cancel my gap year to do another year of sixth form. :puke:

At least you know you're guaranteed an interview! Yours should come soon since you're over 700?
    thanks its always good to hear people actually look at it, eventhough i havent updated it in ages cause of school/work exp/sickness

i think i've always had the kick that drives people towards cooking, but i've definitely improved over time - i started baking mainly when i was little with my mum because my brother was diagnosed with severe allergies so we couldn't eat store bought cakes and the like.

i mentioned my baking in my personal statement and everybody laughed at me - but its a major part of my life and i would definitely mention it during an interview

if you dont mind me asking, why have you chosen to defer??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    So gutted, I generally wanted to apply Newcastle and St Georges but didn't think my UKCAT was good enough, now I feel like I might've played it to safe and have put myself in a worser condition with barts getting a rise in applicants and leicester putting more of a emphasis on GCSE's this year.
    i wouldnt worry about barts - you have amazing predictions!!!

im now worrying about leicester and the mmi - precisely the reason i avoided georges, and leicester has a darn writing task too!

ReputationRep:
    thanks its always good to hear people actually look at it, eventhough i havent updated it in ages cause of school/work exp/sickness

i think i've always had the kick that drives people towards cooking, but i've definitely improved over time - i started baking mainly when i was little with my mum because my brother was diagnosed with severe allergies so we couldn't eat store bought cakes and the like.

i mentioned my baking in my personal statement and everybody laughed at me - but its a major part of my life and i would definitely mention it during an interview

if you dont mind me asking, why have you chosen to defer??
    If we both get into St.Andrews I soooooo want to share a flat with you cause I can't cook to save my life! Unless it's beans on toast, I make a mean bit of toast

If you don't mind me asking what allergies is it that your brother has? In my house we have a peanut allergy and a gluten intollerance which makes cake buying fun lol Any ingredients we buy that are nut&/gluten free always end up tasting rubbish, so if your family has similar allergies is there any particular brands you can suggest? - I can decorate cakes but one of my gap year goals is to make a tasty good looking cake :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    If we both get into St.Andrews I soooooo want to share a flat with you cause I can't cook to save my life! Unless it's beans on toast, I make a mean bit of toast

If you don't mind me asking what allergies is it that your brother has? In my house we have a peanut allergy and a gluten intollerance which makes cake buying fun lol Any ingredients we buy that are nut&amp;/gluten free always end up tasting rubbish, so if your family has similar allergies is there any particular brands you can suggest? - I can decorate cakes but one of my gap year goals is to make a tasty good looking cake :cool:

my brother is severely allergic to most nuts especially peanuts and hazelnuts (as in, can be in the same room as somebody eating them and will get a rash because of them breathing on him), sesame, soya, chick peas, lentils, some oils, some flours and then gets minor reactions to random things every now and then. in fact he's due to have a hospital appointment soon so we'll find out if he's allergic to anything else

so we're pretty restricted when it comes to shop bought things

when it comes to chocolate we've found a company called kinnerton makes all their chocolate in a nut-free environment guaranteed so theyre always amazing for easter eggs and the like. we've also found that supermarket own brands tend to be more risky than named brands simply because theyre probably made in some random factory that makes all kinds of things. if you join this group called the Anaphylaxis Campaign, theyve always been kept up to date with what foods are suitable for allergies, and will alert you if things change

ReputationRep:

my brother is severely allergic to most nuts especially peanuts and hazelnuts (as in, can be in the same room as somebody eating them and will get a rash because of them breathing on him), sesame, soya, chick peas, lentils, some oils, some flours and then gets minor reactions to random things every now and then. in fact he's due to have a hospital appointment soon so we'll find out if he's allergic to anything else

so we're pretty restricted when it comes to shop bought things

when it comes to chocolate we've found a company called kinnerton makes all their chocolate in a nut-free environment guaranteed so theyre always amazing for easter eggs and the like. we've also found that supermarket own brands tend to be more risky than named brands simply because theyre probably made in some random factory that makes all kinds of things. if you join this group called the Anaphylaxis Campaign, theyve always been kept up to date with what foods are suitable for allergies, and will alert you if things change
    Wow that's quite a range of allergies your brother has! Ah kinnerton :love: the only reason I was allowed an advent calender last year haha Thanks! So joining that! I'm quite lucky as I'm not anaphylatic but because of possible accumulation that limits it right down. I hate when things say "may contain nuts"... well which nuts?! it may contain them, it may not?! I'm one for standing in a shop and arguing with the food in my hand... lol Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    Wow that's quite a range of allergies your brother has! Ah kinnerton :love: the only reason I was allowed an advent calender last year haha Thanks! So joining that! I'm quite lucky as I'm not anaphylatic but because of possible accumulation that limits it right down. I hate when things say &quot;may contain nuts&quot;... well which nuts?! it may contain them, it may not?! I'm one for standing in a shop and arguing with the food in my hand... lol Thanks again
    yeah, he was diagnosed with just a nut allergy when he was really little and started to eat solids, because i was really into peanut butter back then and then it just kind of spiralled up from there. a couple of the ones arent official diagnoses though, theyre just things he has reacted to and we avoid now

my mum used to volunteer for that group, its really good - not only does it provide support for people with allergies, but it makes the general population more aware and tries to promote funding for research into allergies, so you might find quite a bit about the peanut trials going on in cambridge atm

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt worry about barts - you have amazing predictions!!!

im now worrying about leicester and the mmi - precisely the reason i avoided georges, and leicester has a darn writing task too!
    Cheers but some people on this site have over 600 ucas points and that just freaks me out, and yeah not looking forward to the leicester written task as I was never good at english (if I get there) but I kind of like the mmi structure just because if you mess up at one station you can make up for it in another.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers but some people on this site have over 600 ucas points and that just freaks me out, and yeah not looking forward to the leicester written task as I was never good at english (if I get there) but I kind of like the mmi structure just because if you mess up at one station you can make up for it in another.
    Bart's new system is just a bit frustrating, I'm doing an EPQ, but because AFAIK our school doesn't predict a grade for it so I get no extra points for it. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    bear in mind that the people on tsr are most likely not people but genius cyborgs sent from aliens above to force us wee humans to doubt ourselves biggest tip (which i really should follow as well) is never to compare yourself to tsr

the thing i don't like about the mmi is that yeah, if you mess up, you can move on - but i can see myself getting downhearted from one station and never picking myself up from it, whereas in a traditional interview you're kind of forced to recover and make the interviewer see how amazing you are, in mmi's you rely on first impressions which arent always correct.

ReputationRep:
    bear in mind that the people on tsr are most likely not people but genius cyborgs sent from aliens above to force us wee humans to doubt ourselves biggest tip (which i really should follow as well) is never to compare yourself to tsr
    So you think you have us all figure out eh!

ReputationRep:
    Bart's new system is just a bit frustrating, I'm doing an EPQ, but because AFAIK our school doesn't predict a grade for it so I get no extra points for it. :erm:
    Wow, that is extremely unfair and stupid by your school, you should deffinately still try and persuade your school to predict you a grade and send it off as a letter to barts as you can never be to safe with a new system.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea when Barts will start interviewing ? (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    So you think you have us all figure out eh!
    of course! we're on to yah

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.