Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine 2012...(hopeful entrants) !! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wabbajack123)
    Good luck for next year guys! I can't tell you what a stressful year this has been If anyone wants any info on Birmingham, Cardiff, Kings or Edinburgh just give me a bell

Edinburgh's definitely on my list, so if I think of anything I'll be sure to drop you a line! Thanks for the offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabbo12)
    I wouldn't apply to imperial, as you got to do an extra admissions test after you apply, and they take it really seriously. If you mess up, you've already wasted one place.
    You mean the BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    That's amazing lol

We're just having our Maths mocks now - had C1 on Thursday, S1 today and C2 tomorrow.
    Oh how are they going?
    How are you finding Core 2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsrayray:))
    Oh how are they going?
    How are you finding Core 2?
    We had the Edexcel June 2010 paper - it was alright I guess, but the last question caught me out (as well as the binomial one)

ReputationRep:
    Had my chemistry EMPA yesterday, with the written test tomorrow.

It's a retake though, I got 20/24 on my first go, which is an A, so I'm not too bothered with how I perform this time.

I love doing titrations, though.

ReputationRep:
    We had the Edexcel June 2010 paper - it was alright I guess, but the last question caught me out (as well as the binomial one)
    Oh right we're with AQA. I'm sure you'll have done well, at least it wasn't the actual exam

ReputationRep:
    Oh right we're with AQA. I'm sure you'll have done well, at least it wasn't the actual exam
    oh - I have AQA for Biology and Chemistry - sooooo annoying with all of the How Science Works bullsh** :mad:

ReputationRep:
    oh - I have AQA for Biology and Chemistry - sooooo annoying with all of the How Science Works bullsh** :mad:
    That's why I'm so pleased I do Salters Chemistry- I couldn't stand doing another science (along with biology) with AQA.

Salters may be a hard course, but they ask you relevant chemical information, not How science works and application nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    That's why I'm so pleased I do Salters Chemistry- I couldn't stand doing another science (along with biology) with AQA.

Salters may be a hard course, but they ask you relevant chemical information, not How science works and application nonsense.
    I'd much rather go for the Salters course then. Is that OCR?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a clue what that is haha
    I'm with OCR for biology and OCR Salters for Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a clue what that is haha
    I'm with OCR for biology and OCR Salters for Chemistry
    Is there any difference between OCR and OCR Salters?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any difference between OCR and OCR Salters?
    For chemistry? Erm I don't know.
    In general isn't it just a branch of OCR I think...

ReputationRep:
    OCR Biology/Edexcel Chemistry here, no complaints

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, it's OCR B. Not the normal OCR, a special branch of it.

I think it's more useful as a chemistry course, and unlike the others, which are more geared towards just keeping to the A level syllabus, the people at Salters are clearly passionate chemists keen to spread their scientific knowledge.
    And yes, there is a difference with normal OCR

ReputationRep:
    then consider that it's all standardized

ReputationRep:
    Aw don't! You'll do brilliantly I'll bet!
    What did you get for GCSE's?
    Thanks, oh my GCSEs have nothing on the rest of the people on here; 4 A*s, 7 A's and a B ( the B in English language )

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, it's OCR B. Not the normal OCR, a special branch of it.

I think it's more useful as a chemistry course, and unlike the others, which are more geared towards just keeping to the A level syllabus, the people at Salters are clearly passionate chemists keen to spread their scientific knowledge.
    And yes, there is a difference with normal OCR
    That's exactly what I don't like about AQA Biology (and to some extent AQA Chemistry) - it just seems that if you 'revise' mark schemes, you'll get full marks - as opposed to the traditional learning the content and getting a good mark.

ReputationRep:
    For all you Barts and The London enthusiasts out there, a copy of the email sent out to all medical students from the Dean of Education here:
    Dear All

I wanted to write to all Barts and The London MBBS students with a piece of good news. The scores for the Foundation Year application process have now been released and I’m delighted to tell you that the average score for Barts and The London students this year was the second highest in the country.

This is a remarkable achievement. It reflects what we have been saying for a long time – that we have an excellent body of students and that the School greatly adds value. And it is very much in line that the messages I am getting from various sources, such as the finals examiners and interviewers for applicants, that we have and are continuing to attract ever better students and are providing an ever improving education.

Well done to everyone involved – the academics and support staff and, of course, the students themselves. The message is clearly beginning to get out there that our graduates are clearly amongst the best in the country and will prove major assets to the organisations fortunate enough to be able to employ them.

I hope you have an excellent Easter/Spring break.

Best wishes
    Anthony Warrens
    Dean for Education
    :smug:

Obviously Imperial came top, but they are all nerds anyway. :p: Banter.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what I don't like about AQA Biology (and to some extent AQA Chemistry) - it just seems that if you 'revise' mark schemes, you'll get full marks - as opposed to the traditional learning the content and getting a good mark.
    Completely agree with this. And it's very annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with this. And it's very annoying.
    AQA is so awful. :mad2:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.