Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rand)
    Dutch is a mixture of literature, text comprehension and being able to summarize a text in less than 10% of the original amount of words. By far my worst subject, lol. And in exams, they subtract 0.1/10 point of your final grade for every spelling/grammar mistake :O.

Greek/Latin grammar is indeed a *****, but it's really much easier once you get to translation because it's all in context, you know? I find Greek easier, because we're reading Homerus' Odyssee and the word sequence is comparable to the Dutch one. Latin, on the other hand is far worse, because we're reading Livius, who was a historian and he uses endless sentences and complex structures and there is no word sequence

We had drama/art/music during the first two years and in the third year you could opt for one or none, then in fourth year we didn't have any of them, and for the final two years you could choose either art/music. I didn't, because I'm not really creative lol :ahee: Every school differs in this aspect though.

By the way, what unis did you apply to?
    So it's like VR of UKCAT but worse :eek: :eek: I do not envy you. In GCSE English the deepest is got was a few lessons on how to use a semi-colon, lol.

No way, you read proper classic greek/latin literature! :O In French we read one book in the whole year but all we have to do on it is potentially write a vague essay/do speaking stuff. I'm eternally grateful that I'm doing A Levels and not any other system :p:

Haha, fair play, adding more subjects to your already crazy-long list would have been hard anyway. I did drama up til Year 11, it was honestly more stressful than the academic GCSEs I did and yet unis don't count it. So annoying! :p:

I applied to Aberdeen, Liverpool, East Anglia and Keele

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    yeahhh, i really want the lego one, where you get a piece of lego behind each door!
    Oooh, do they build to make an Christmas tree or something? That would be so cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parle à ma main)
    Oooh, do they build to make an Christmas tree or something? That would be so cool!
    im not sure, they have loads of different ones though!

my friend has the pirate one, so for every day she gets a new piece of pirate themed lego - on the first day, she got the lego pirate

i may wait until the end of advent and go searching for one on sale, and then open all the doors on christmas day

ReputationRep:
    im not sure, they have loads of different ones though!

my friend has the pirate one, so for every day she gets a new piece of pirate themed lego - on the first day, she got the lego pirate

i may wait until the end of advent and go searching for one on sale, and then open all the doors on christmas day
    Defo sounds like a plan. I love post-Easter/post-Xmas sales. The only annoying thing about Xmas is how close it is to exams... I don't even celebrate Xmas but the number of parties/good films on mean doing revision is depressing and impossible! :p:

ReputationRep:
    It is AQA. The only good thing about their papers is the low grade boundaries. :p:

I hated it to start with but I actually kind of like some of it now The genetics/biochem stuff of it is good once you get your head round it, and the environment/farming stuff brings out the hippy in me. Unit 5 looks really good though.

Chemistry on the other hand...
    Haha, unlike everyone else, I loved chemistry and was slightly miffed at the grade boundaries for the ISAs because they brought my grade down. I got over it though

And indeed, the grade boundaries must have saved me in biology although the questions are often far too ambiguous to make sense (our unit 5 paper was a nightmare for this...) and they seem to want the weirdest things for answers, so it's a good job that we have those lower boundaries.

Indeed, unit 5 is awesome. Me and my friend were proper excited (we even had a geeky little cheer the next time we entered class) when we'd finished unit 4 because that meant it was time for unit 5. It's fantastic and you can quite enjoy the essay questions as long as you get your teeth into them (although everyone else in the class abhorred them).

...Geeking it up ftw :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigKirk)
    Haha, unlike everyone else, I loved chemistry and was slightly miffed at the grade boundaries for the ISAs because they brought my grade down. I got over it though

And indeed, the grade boundaries must have saved me in biology although the questions are often far too ambiguous to make sense (our unit 5 paper was a nightmare for this...) and they seem to want the weirdest things for answers, so it's a good job that we have those lower boundaries.

Indeed, unit 5 is awesome. Me and my friend were proper excited (we even had a geeky little cheer the next time we entered class) when we'd finished unit 4 because that meant it was time for unit 5. It's fantastic and you can quite enjoy the essay questions as long as you get your teeth into them (although everyone else in the class abhorred them).

...Geeking it up ftw :ahee:
    I wish wish wish I loved Chem, would make things so much easier. :p: I actually liked it last year and I was considering it as a 5th choice degree, but this year the tables have completely turned and I prefer Bio by far.
    I'd hope you got over it, A*A*A*A is too impressive to not be over the moon about :p:

ISA grade boundaries are so insane. They should just get rid of it if it's so ineffective that they're having to make it 99.999% for an A.

In your unit 5 paper? :eek: I thought I was rid of badly worded questions with silly answers after we finished the how science works bit of unit 4! I'm so relieved that I'll only have 1 set of exams left after these ones, haha, even if I don't get a place in uni, I'LL HAVE FINISHED A LEVELS eeek :woo:

Haha, you'd be better not be giving me false hope for unit 5 or I'll be very disappointed. :p: Yeah, the synoptic stuff does look quite scary, and unit 5 is a big topic itself anyway, it seems so daunting! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wish wish wish I loved Chem, would make things so much easier. :p: I actually liked it last year and I was considering it as a 5th choice degree, but this year the tables have completely turned and I prefer Bio by far.
    I'd hope you got over it, A*A*A*A is too impressive to not be over the moon about :p:

ISA grade boundaries are so insane. They should just get rid of it if it's so ineffective that they're having to make it 99.999% for an A.

In your unit 5 paper? :eek: I thought I was rid of badly worded questions with silly answers after we finished the how science works bit of unit 4! I'm so relieved that I'll only have 1 set of exams left after these ones, haha, even if I don't get a place in uni, I'LL HAVE FINISHED A LEVELS eeek :woo:

Haha, you'd be better not be giving me false hope for unit 5 or I'll be very disappointed. :p: Yeah, the synoptic stuff does look quite scary, and unit 5 is a big topic itself anyway, it seems so daunting! :p:
    That's exactly why I got over it

We had a question on DNA and restriction mapping which was the most bizarre thing I've ever encountered. You'll recognise it when you sit the June 2011 paper as a mock. Both essay Qs on that paper were nice though!

I would never! As long as you really do enjoy biology, then like in most scientific discussions, you can really air your interest in it on paper. Developing the essay skills and learning to cope with the time in the first place, however, is not so fun. It's once you've got that that it's more enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    So it's like VR of UKCAT but worse :eek: :eek: I do not envy you. In GCSE English the deepest is got was a few lessons on how to use a semi-colon, lol.

No way, you read proper classic greek/latin literature! :O In French we read one book in the whole year but all we have to do on it is potentially write a vague essay/do speaking stuff. I'm eternally grateful that I'm doing A Levels and not any other system :p:

Haha, fair play, adding more subjects to your already crazy-long list would have been hard anyway. I did drama up til Year 11, it was honestly more stressful than the academic GCSEs I did and yet unis don't count it. So annoying! :p:

I applied to Aberdeen, Liverpool, East Anglia and Keele
    Yes, our Dutch lessons are pretty difficult, the national average is never higher than a 6-ish/10 haha. But that actually goes for a lot of subjects.
    Yep, we started reading 'real' Latin/Greek texts last year, it's so amazing! I especially loved Ovidius with Latin and Sappho in Greek

Our French is pretty lame too, we don't really do anything really, it's pretty much a waste of time!

I wanted to apply to Aberdeen too, but Scotland was a bit too far away according to my parents lol, and they asked for ridiculously high entry requiremenst for Dutch applicants too, so yeah.. Good luck anyway

What did you get in your UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    yeahhh, i really want the lego one, where you get a piece of lego behind each door!
    Out of interest, for my sister, when did you hear from Leicester for interview? She sent her application off by the end of October as well. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, for my sister, when did you hear from Leicester for interview? She sent her application off by the end of October as well. Cheers.

Her "stats" lol, 12A*,1A at GCSE, A*A*A prediction at A2, with 4 A at AS Math Bio Chem Economics. (3 over 90%). Plenty of work experiance, however a rather poor UKCAT at 610....chance for interview you think at Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViceVersa)
    How does it look like on track?
    It just says 'invitation' and you can respond to it to accept decline or change the date

ReputationRep:
    Why can't the med schools just reject me already. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oggz)
    Why can't the med schools just reject me already. :sigh:
    Don't say that At this stage no news is good news, you could get an interview or offer as late as March so if you haven't been rejected you are definitely still in the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Don't say that At this stage no news is good news, you could get an interview or offer as late as March so if you haven't been rejected you are definitely still in the game.
    You give me hope Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    You give me hope Thank you.
    I know that (last week) Aberdeen had only given out 60 of 600 interviews thus far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Courtney.)
    It just says 'invitation' and you can respond to it to accept decline or change the date
    Righty, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGecko)

Her "stats" lol, 12A*,1A at GCSE, A*A*A prediction at A2, with 4 A at AS Math Bio Chem Economics. (3 over 90%). Plenty of work experiance, however a rather poor UKCAT at 610....chance for interview you think at Leicester?
    if she applied by the end of october she'd have been too late

i heard on thursday last week, but i think theyre giving them out in batches, so she should probably hear back soon, with stats like those! mine are in my sig if you're that interested

and 610 is not a bad score! i know people who are applying with scores in the low 500s so by no means does she have a low score

ReputationRep:
    GAHHHHH

ive been to waitrose, whsmith, boots and tescos on my advent calendar hunt and still no luck!

ReputationRep:
    GAHHHHH

ive been to waitrose, whsmith, boots and tescos on my advent calendar hunt and still no luck!
    Nightmare! My mum made me one in the end she used some sort of box and has perforated wrapping paper with a pen to make doors which I have to cut out using a kitchen knife! But I got an advent calendar, so I'm happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianoboe)
    Nightmare! My mum made me one in the end she used some sort of box and has perforated wrapping paper with a pen to make doors which I have to cut out using a kitchen knife! But I got an advent calendar, so I'm happy
    my mum used to make us one. originally we had a cute felt one, with little pouches that held jelly beans and chocolates and the like. then, a couple years ago she started doing advent calendars that were 25 envelopes, each one containing a bible quote/story (we're catholic) and some sweets, and a prayer every now and then.

i dont know why she stopped making them

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.