Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy Chuckie)
    Thanks, oh my GCSEs have nothing on the rest of the people on here; 4 A*s, 7 A's and a B ( the B in English language )

How about you?
    They're still something on most peoples!!
    I got 9A*s and 4 A's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banana_smoothie)
    ! wait until you get to C3 urghh... differentiation with all the different chain , product and quotient rules. its ridiculous
    Oh....well I don't mind differentiation at the moment. I actually quite like maths, I'm a bit weird like that haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsrayray:))
    Oh....well I don't mind differentiation at the moment. I actually quite like maths, I'm a bit weird like that haha
    It's notorious for being the most boring subject there is.

My old English teacher was pretty adament of the uselessness of maths- though I concede it has use, it is VERY boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xulander)
    Anyone here thinking of applying to UCL? Might be seeing some of you guys next year if you are

(if you aren't then shame on you)

Also if anyone needs any help whether Personal Statement or whatever im more then happy to help!
    Hey, I am - I've heard that they give preference to candidates with an alternative subject at A Level e.g. a language (I'm doing German).

Any advice you could give as to how they select candidates for interview? Is it based on BMAT scores or GCSEs?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeWantConsultant)
    Birmingum prospectus is 8 A*s
    Cambridge want a solid 7 A*s

Though they look high, almost everyone I ever met in Birminghum university had atleast 11 A*s. I was an exception, with 13
    I have the Birmingham 2012 prospectus, and it says 7 A*'s

Also, that doesn't make sense, you said you were an exception to those with at least 11 A*s - you don't appear to be an exception as you also had at least 11 A*s? Sorry just being picky

ReputationRep:
    I loove maths! It's my fav subject

ReputationRep:
    They're still something on most peoples!!
    I got 9A*s and 4 A's
    Wow, they're great results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    It's notorious for being the most boring subject there is.

My old English teacher was pretty adament of the uselessness of maths- though I concede it has use, it is VERY boring.
    Each to their own its definetly not my favourite subject but I like how methodical it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    I loove maths! It's my fav subject
    Yay! There isn't many of us around!
    What other subjects do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, they're great results!
    Thank you, yours are very good too!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, yours are very good too!
    Thanks!

Have you done much work experience?

ReputationRep:
    I have the Birmingham 2012 prospectus, and it says 7 A*'s

Also, that doesn't make sense, you said you were an exception to those with at least 11 A*s - you don't appear to be an exception as you also had at least 11 A*s? Sorry just being picky
    You are correct, I have the prospectus too, and it does indeed say 7A*s.

But for the past two years, they've raised the bar after seeing submitted applications, to 8.5A*s in 2010 entry and 8A*s in 2011 entry. Likely it will be raised to 8A*s again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Like I give a ****?

And also, just realised that you can't actually get them off the website. You have to find one person who got 99/98, and then use the mark just above them.
    You can, basically you just use the length of the A-B boundary, add it to the A raw mark twice. If you add it to the A raw mark once, you'll get 90%, so if you add it twice you get 100%. It's true btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    You can, basically you just use the length of the A-B boundary, add it to the A raw mark twice. If you add it to the A raw mark once, you'll get 90%, so if you add it twice you get 100%. It's true btw.
    Not always. I'll give you an example
    Economics Unit 2 AS Jan 2011
    B = 49
    A = 54
    100 UMS = 65

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Not always. I'll give you an example
    Economics Unit 2 AS Jan 2011
    B = 49
    A = 54
    100 UMS = 65
    Sometimes you round if the test is out of a weird number, basically a B would be 48.5 which rounds to 49, so that width would give 100 UMS as 65.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Sometimes you round if the test is out of a weird number, basically a B would be 48.5 which rounds to 49, so that width would give 100 UMS as 65.
    I realise that that wasn't the best example, seeing as it was fairly close to your theory. But I pretty much guarantee that what you said is not correct in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    Yay! There isn't many of us around!
    What other subjects do you do?
    Haha I do maths, bio, chem psychology - you?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else doing OCR chemistry?
    Have a look at the question I posted in the chem forum if you are, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Have you done much work experience?
    Yeah I've done some, yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I do maths, bio, chem psychology - you?
    Bio, Chem, Maths, German and English Lit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.