Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    Death and taxes, the only two guarantees in life...
    Hahaha, I know this wasn't aimed at me, but so true. :rofl:

I know, the bad thing is she's his tutor, so she writes his reference.
    If he gets the grades and writes a good PS and stuff, surely she can't write a bad reference? :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    That's good, they are my 3 favourites. If you were me, would you carry on with all 4 subjects to A2 level or would you drop psychology and do a medicine-related EPQ?
    I'd definately drop the 4th subject and go for an EPQ. No uni gives 4 A2 offers for medicine as a norm. My sister initially started year 13 doing 4 A2s but after speaking to Cambridge dropped further maths before October 15th ( to ensure it wasn't included in her offer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    I am studying biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. Our college has a new rule whereby you either have to carry on with all 4 subjects at A2 level, drop one and take an EPQ, drop one and take critical thinking, or drop one and take OCR text processing.

I think I am going to drop psychology (because I enjoy it least) and do an Extended Project. Is this advisable? Or would I be better off continuing on with psychology?
    Yay same levels as me I'm dropping psychology also.

I would suggest taking up the Extended project as you can tailor that to medicine, and make it something that stands out on your UCAS, rather than a subject which they don't rate too highly of anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Question from a past interview: If you were a grapefruit, would you be with seeds or seedless?
    How would you answer this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    For a teacher to laugh at your wishes to study medicine, you must have a very poor academic record and/or be completely immature. Neither of these traits are conducive to success or confidence.

On the off chance, the teacher may be a tard, but, that is the off chance.
    Are you kidding? A teacher laughing at a student is plain idiotic and unprofessional. If she was constructive then it'd be more acceptable, but going "HAHAHA" in someone's face is just plain unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Hey,

I was just wondering which other uni's other than Aberdeen you applied to, and which you had offers from? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I don't know, but I'd say it's more likely to be 6 normal weeks with 5 working days in each week if it's real work exp and 42 days if it's including volunteering. But that's only my guess, I haven't looked at Manc because I immediately put off when I heard that.
    I'll let you know if I find out. I hope it's not true, tbh even 42 days of volunteering is quite a big expectation. I really love Manc, it's PBL, in a big city, plus they offer European Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Question from a past interview: If you were a grapefruit, would you be with seeds or seedless?
    How would you answer this?
    Lol

I'd say seeds, I have lots of different interests, a variety of hobbies and friends - each represent all the different parts of me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Hey,

I was just wondering which other uni's other than Aberdeen you applied to, and which you had offers from? Thanks
    Aberdeen-Unconditional
    Dundee-Withdrew (interviewed, took too long to get back to me :mad:)
    Edinburgh-Rejected
    Glasgow-Offer-Declined

ReputationRep:
    Lol

I'd say seeds, I have lots of different interests, a variety of hobbies and friends - each represent all the different parts of me!
    Haha opposite of me. I said seedless, because people generally prefer seedless ones as they are easier to eat, and I want to make people's lives easier!

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen-Unconditional
    Edinburgh-Rejected
    Glasgow-Offer-Declined
    Oh okay thanks! That's annoying how long Dundee took :/

How did you decide where to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen-Unconditional
    Edinburgh-Rejected
    Glasgow-Offer-Declined
    you got an unconditional? I'm unsure about Scottish unis because although I really like the look of them, I hear that they can be very territorial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I felt exactly the same for another boy I saw at a medical symposium. He went with about 10 or 15 people from his school and they sat in some seats near the front, then when he sat down the same row all the people who had already sat down got up and moved to the other side of the aisle, leaving him on his own.
    Awwwww. That's so unfair, bless him. Being ignored is a horrible thing to go through, as bad/worse than bullying, I hope he's not too badly affected by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Haha opposite of me. I said seedless, because people generally prefer seedless ones as they are easier to eat, and I want to make people's lives easier!
    Haha nice I love questions like that - no right/wrong answers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    I'll let you know if I find out. I hope it's not true, tbh even 42 days of volunteering is quite a big expectation. I really love Manc, it's PBL, in a big city, plus they offer European Studies.
    You could look at the medical applicant profiles for the successful Manchester ones. I've having a look now and most do seem to have several weeks of clinical work experience .

ReputationRep:
    Awwwww. That's so unfair, bless him. Being ignored is a horrible thing to go through, as bad/worse than bullying, I hope he's not too badly affected by it.
    Imagine if he was the only one who got in out of everyone in his school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    you got an unconditional? I'm unsure about Scottish unis because although I really like the look of them, I hear that they can be very territorial
    Scottish unis (Dundee, Edinburgh, Aberdeen) tend to give unconditionals. Since we sit Highers the year before we apply-cue massive debate about whether AS is harder than Higher.... Glasgow gives the same condition to all Scottish undergrads BBC at Adv Higher usually.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know.

I'm guessing personally it wouldn't be much good, as what I've got hasn't been particulary useful (other than for my UCAS form), as lot of it was just sitting around watching not doing much rather than actively being involved, applying knowledge etc (though I will obviously jazz it up a bit for my PS haha). Maybe I'm wrong though - I guess we'll just have to see!
    Haha, I know what you mean. A lot of the time you either get lucky or don't with whether or not you get hands on volunteer work. What do you do? I think my volunteer work has allowed to me do and learn things (e.g. being in control of a pissed off horse who had a disabled kid on its back... cue child being THROWN OFF horse in front of his mum and me trying to stop the horse from charging away and/or strangling himself on his loose reigns, breaking my finger in the process but still having to control him and feeling so guilty I could cry about the kid... so ****ing scary :p:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    You could look at the medical applicant profiles for the successful Manchester ones. I've having a look now and most do seem to have several weeks of clinical work experience .
    If you did it once a week for 6 weeks, surely you could word it on your PS that could sound like it could be once a week for 6 weeks, OR for a solid 6 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I know what you mean. A lot of the time you either get lucky or don't with whether or not you get hands on volunteer work. What do you do? I think my volunteer work has allowed to me do and learn things (e.g. being in control of a pissed off horse who had a disabled kid on its back... cue child being THROWN OFF horse in front of his mum and me trying to stop the horse from charging away and/or strangling himself on his loose reigns, breaking my finger in the process but still having to control him and feeling so guilty I could cry about the kid... so ****ing scary :p:).
    Haha...dramaa!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.