Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medicine 2012...(hopeful entrants) !! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles2010)
    Murray edwards (and Newham) are all girls
    Yeah, go and visit, it definetly changes your view on the colleges! I used to want to got to trinity, but when i visited it, it was just...toooo big!
    I got 6As at AS (maths, chem, bio, phys. history n general studies), but epically flomped the BMAT! (3.8, 5.7, 3A)

Another thing, some colleges will select candidates for interview using BMAT (e.g. Trinity, Emma), so if you do apply there, its even more important to do well in the BMAT
    Oh right I didn't know what
    Yeah sure thing I will do Haha really? It has such a good name though
    That's awesome Did you have high UMS marks? And that's a good section 2! I hate section 1 (from looking at past papers), are you really pushed for time in the exam?

Alright I see, thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeekieBoo)
    Aberdeen is mega far!! But I guess if you're from Ireland, it's no further than St Andrews really!!

I'm from Newcastle - and didn't realise quite how far away Aberdeen was until I had to drive there for an interview. Not a short drive.
    You think it's far for you, try driving there from here (devon) :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Oh right I didn't know what
    Yeah sure thing I will do Haha really? It has such a good name though
    That's awesome Did you have high UMS marks? And that's a good section 2! I hate section 1 (from looking at past papers), are you really pushed for time in the exam?

Alright I see, thanks for the info
    I had fairly high UMS: 99%, 99%, 97%, 97%, 90%, and 83% (chem, bio, phys, maths, history, general studies respectively)
    I know!! section one is a nightmare!!! , yeah, the timing is particularly bad with section 2 (in the actual exam i only got up to question 16), but i had such a bad day on the exam! usually it wouldnt be as bad, and if you do enough prep, im sure it'll be finee

ReputationRep:
    Murray edwards (and Newham) are all girls
    Yeah, go and visit, it definetly changes your view on the colleges! I used to want to got to trinity, but when i visited it, it was just...toooo big!
    I got 6As at AS (maths, chem, bio, phys. history n general studies), but epically flomped the BMAT! (3.8, 5.7, 3A)

Another thing, some colleges will select candidates for interview using BMAT (e.g. Trinity, Emma), so if you do apply there, its even more important to do well in the BMAT
    the irony of that typo is quite ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    I had fairly high UMS: 99%, 99%, 97%, 97%, 90%, and 83% (chem, bio, phys, maths, history, general studies respectively)
    I know!! section one is a nightmare!!! , yeah, the timing is particularly bad with section 2 (in the actual exam i only got up to question 16), but i had such a bad day on the exam! usually it wouldnt be as bad, and if you do enough prep, im sure it'll be finee
    Solid marks!!! That's overall out of 300 for each? :eek: And yeah it really is!! Oh right I see, but you must have got them all right up to 16 as 5.7 is a good mark Fair enough I will be sure to do a lot of prep for it in the Summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notsocleverstudent)
    the irony of that typo is quite ridiculous
    woops oh dear.... i should change that.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Here we go again

Best of luck everyone
    What did I say that was so offensive??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Solid marks!!! That's overall out of 300 for each? :eek: And yeah it really is!! Oh right I see, but you must have got them all right up to 16 as 5.7 is a good mark Fair enough I will be sure to do a lot of prep for it in the Summer
    Thank you!
    Chem, bio, phys, and maths are out of 300, and history out of 200. (i have no idea what general studies is out of...lol )
    And good luck for BMAt and the rest of your application!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Chem, bio, phys, and maths are out of 300, and history out of 200. (i have no idea what general studies is out of...lol )
    And good luck for BMAt and the rest of your application!
    No problem No wonder you got into Cambridge
    I see and haha ok
    Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics, will be dropping physics and taking up history AS next year. Thinking of Leeds, Bristol, Newcastle and penninsula

ReputationRep:
    I take maths, biology, chemistry and psychology, But dropping psychology next year. We've had no January modules - so I have all modules to look forward to in 7 weeks! :/

I want to study medicine at: Imperial, Birmingham, Nottingham or Newcastle. My 5th choice will probably something like nursing.

How does everyone feel about PBL? I'm trying to avoid it to be honest!

I've had 2 sets of work experience with the NHS, and 2 others non-medical based working with children as I want to be a paedeatrician.

I have 8 A*'s 2 A's. Predicted 4 A's at alevel, though that's pretty much the norm under these competitive environments :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    I take maths, biology, chemistry and psychology, But dropping psychology next year. We've had no January modules - so I have all modules to look forward to in 7 weeks! :/

I want to study medicine at: Imperial, Birmingham, Nottingham or Newcastle. My 5th choice will probably something like nursing.

How does everyone feel about PBL? I'm trying to avoid it to be honest!

I've had 2 sets of work experience with the NHS, and 2 others non-medical based working with children as I want to be a paedeatrician.

I have 8 A*'s 2 A's. Predicted 4 A's at alevel, though that's pretty much the norm under these competitive environments :/
    Haha.. seems we are quite similar!

My fifth choice will be nursing and at the moment I'm steering away from PBL, it just doesnt appeal to me..

Also thinking of being a paedeatrician, spent a year volunteering at a nursery and loved it
    Although, people say that you tend to change your mind a lot once in med school..

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone

Best way to describe the process is that; it's a roller coaster ride, which will have its fair share up of ups and downs. Just hang on and hopefully you'll enjoy the ride

Feel free to ask for help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh)
    biology,chemistry,physics and religious studies hopefully somewhere in london or east anglia...(i know there's a huge difference between the two places)
    ukcat/bmat?? LOL why religious studies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hot Bobby Darling)
    ukcat/bmat?? LOL why religious studies?
    why anything else?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and French (Also already have a further maths AS from last year with A grade).

Jan results: 100/100, 100/100, 89/90 (Biology, Maths, Chemistry respectively)

Hoping to go to Imperial, King's or UCL- don't know about 4th.

Did some work experience- 1 week during year 11 summer holiday at a hospital, 2/3 weeks volunteering at a nursery and am currently working as a weekly volunteer in the physitherapy department for people with multiple sclerosis at a local hospital. What else should I do- extracurricular wise?

Any help appreciated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    why anything else?
    in joke mate. but tbf doing something like rs is a good idea esp if you're going to apply to ucl. shame i decided to do maths, chem, bio, physics and maybe a further maths AS, because it seems like loads of people who want to do medicine are doing those options too :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    what did you think of kings? did you go to an open day? i really want to go to an open day but i don't think they do saturday open days, and my school probably wont let me out to go during a school day
    Oh I love it! It's amazing. But honestly? I think i'd like anywhere, all the places I applied I would have been happy to go to. I really would start trying to get places on open days early, they run out so quickly. Just blag it as a sickie if your school gives you grief, if you care enough about your uni, you're gonna care enough to catch up. Try to get a med specific one too, much more helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh this little thread is coming along nicely...very nicely indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Those are awesome ums marks!
    Seeing as you've applied to Cambridge, do you think i'd be able to get in with only 4 a levels? (as you've done 6 :eek:). I'm not applying this year btw.
    And are you taking them all to A2?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.