The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1520
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Do I? What do UCL like as subject choice? :s-smilie:

But I'm not, the BMAT looks waaaay too scary and I want a PBL course. :smile: What about you?

"Previous study of chemistry and biology is required. Those also offering a contrasting arts subject will be looked on favourably. "

A lot of people like me just have sciencey subjects!

Hahaha yes I agree it does - especially as you don't find out your score!

I'm not so sure about PBL. I'm thinking Nottingham. Maybe B'ham (depends of the whole GCSE situation.) Maybe Sheffield/Newcastle if I get a high UKCAT.
Original post by liviaaa
Don't worry I'm pretty hopeless at quite a lot of other stuff too to even it out... :tongue:

When using the formation values = Sum of products - Sum of reactants.

When using the combustion values = Sum of reactants - Sum of products.

You still have to times the values through by the no. moles etc, in the sum.

Modest too to top it off. :p:

Nice, thank you. :biggrin: Do you know if we get marks for drawing the enthalpy diagrams and stuff out or does it not matter if we use the equation or diagram?
Reply 1522
I'm excited in some respects but in others the idea of having to put my life down on a page is kinda scary. :eek: Well, not my life as such, but you know what I mean. :p:

Yeah! This summer is going to be waaaay more hectic than any Summer I've ever had! Abroad for 2 weeks, UKCAT prep, personal statement, deciding uni's, driving test, work exp. etcccc..
Original post by liviaaa
"Previous study of chemistry and biology is required. Those also offering a contrasting arts subject will be looked on favourably. "

A lot of people like me just have sciencey subjects!

Hahaha yes I agree it does - especially as you don't find out your score!

I'm not so sure about PBL. I'm thinking Nottingham. Maybe B'ham (depends of the whole GCSE situation.) Maybe Sheffield/Newcastle if I get a high UKCAT.

Ahhh, gotcha. But I thought Psych was considered an arts subject, at least at A Level?

Yeah, it's a risk to take and tbh I'm not smart enough for BMAT style.... UKCAT looks hard let alone BMAT. :p:

Fair enough, PBL isn't for everyone obviously. :smile: Just comes down to how you learn best.
They sound good... iirc Notts has really high student satisfaction and the rest are really amazing cities to live so you'll probably see a massive range of pathology. Good luck with UKCAT. When you planning on doing yours?
Reply 1524
Modest too to top it off. :p:

Nice, thank you. :biggrin: Do you know if we get marks for drawing the enthalpy diagrams and stuff out or does it not matter if we use the equation or diagram?

Psshhh..

From the mark schemes it says you get 1 mark for just writing out the equation. The rest of the marks come from the right answers. Look at question 2aiii. A lot of the markschemes don't even mention the cycle.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM2-W-MS-JUN09.PDF
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah! This summer is going to be waaaay more hectic than any Summer I've ever had! Abroad for 2 weeks, UKCAT prep, personal statement, deciding uni's, driving test, work exp. etcccc..

Wow, the summer does sound quite crazy. Where you off abroad? That'll be a really nice chance to relax. :biggrin:

The thing is I don't want to go to any open days til I've done the UKCAT so I know where I could apply rather than wasting like £100 going somewhere where I don't end up applying so I can't start figuring out where I want to go and tailoring my PS to those places until like early October. :eek:
Original post by liviaaa
Psshhh..

From the mark schemes it says you get 1 mark for just writing out the equation. The rest of the marks come from the right answers. Look at question 2aiii. A lot of the markschemes don't even mention the cycle.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM2-W-MS-JUN09.PDF

Yay, thanks. :smile: Cool, I'm writing down the equations and discarding anything I learned about diagrams. :p: What about finding enthalpy of formation from enthalpy of combustion, is there an equation for that? There's a section about it in the Nelson Thornes textbook but tbh I don't understand what the textbook is on about in that page.
Reply 1527
Ahhh, gotcha. But I thought Psych was considered an arts subject, at least at A Level?

Yeah, it's a risk to take and tbh I'm not smart enough for BMAT style.... UKCAT looks hard let alone BMAT. :p:

Fair enough, PBL isn't for everyone obviously. :smile: Just comes down to how you learn best.
They sound good... iirc Notts has really high student satisfaction and the rest are really amazing cities to live so you'll probably see a massive range of pathology. Good luck with UKCAT. When you planning on doing yours?

Oh maybe I'm not sure? It's not exactly considered one of the most challenging A levels though, so I'm going to drop it. I'm not so sure about a London uni anyway. :tongue:

Yes they both look hard :/ I think there's more revision for BMAT too.. like I'd have to learn all the physics AS syllabus as that can be included! :/

Where else are you thinking of applying?

Thanks :smile: You too! Probably July/August.. it gets more expensive after August haha! Plus I want to know my score before I start school back so I have a better idea about uni's etc. You?
Reply 1528
Yay, thanks. :smile: Cool, I'm writing down the equations and discarding anything I learned about diagrams. :p: What about finding enthalpy of formation from enthalpy of combustion, is there an equation for that? There's a section about it in the Nelson Thornes textbook but tbh I don't understand what the textbook is on about in that page.

From what I've gathered through past papers/ 5420 materials, it's the same equartion for what ever you're finding, it's just based on what values you're given in the table (formation or combustion.) Don't quote me on it though. :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
Oh maybe I'm not sure? It's not exactly considered one of the most challenging A levels though, so I'm going to drop it. I'm not so sure about a London uni anyway. :tongue:

Yes they both look hard :/ I think there's more revision for BMAT too.. like I'd have to learn all the physics AS syllabus as that can be included! :/

Where else are you thinking of applying?

Thanks :smile: You too! Probably July/August.. it gets more expensive after August haha! Plus I want to know my score before I start school back so I have a better idea about uni's etc. You?

Ah, fair dos, as long as you enjoy maths s'all good. I know what you mean, London is so expensive. :s-smilie: But the city itself looks quite good.

Ouch, that's a downer. So much extra work!

I think beginning of September... gives me time in the summer to prepare. July would be too hectic for me because we'd still be in school and all. Although your plan of knowing more about where you can apply before Sept sounds really tempting.
Reply 1530
Wow, the summer does sound quite crazy. Where you off abroad? That'll be a really nice chance to relax. :biggrin:

The thing is I don't want to go to any open days til I've done the UKCAT so I know where I could apply rather than wasting like £100 going somewhere where I don't end up applying so I can't start figuring out where I want to go and tailoring my PS to those places until like early October. :eek:

Hong Kong and Australia. It's the end of August - so it'll be a nice end to the summer hols after all the hard work. :tongue: Shame I miss results though :/

Yes same.. my Mum thinks open days are a waste of time. For medicine they give you a tour around at the interview anyway, and you only need to look round if you have an interview - if not you may just be wasting your time. Besides it's hardly like I've got a huge list to pick from, I'm so fussy I'll probs onyl have the 4 I need anyway, haha.
Original post by liviaaa
From what I've gathered through past papers/ 5420 materials, it's the same equartion for what ever you're finding, it's just based on what values you're given in the table (formation or combustion.) Don't quote me on it though. :tongue:

Cool cool, duly noted. :smile:

Ok, I'm getting really excited now for no reason. We have the whole of Easter off and the next year is going to be so exciting and going to bring so much change. In 1 year, we'll know if we have an offer for med school or not. :eek:
Reply 1532
Ah, fair dos, as long as you enjoy maths s'all good. I know what you mean, London is so expensive. :s-smilie: But the city itself looks quite good.

Ouch, that's a downer. So much extra work!

I think beginning of September... gives me time in the summer to prepare. July would be too hectic for me because we'd still be in school and all. Although your plan of knowing more about where you can apply before Sept sounds really tempting.

Yes maths is my fav. :tongue: Yup expensive, and so big! I hate the tubes too - they're such a pain. Sometimes I like a bit and piece and quiet, and be able to walk in a straight line down the street!

Apparently it's cheaper to go to a uni not in London and go down to London every weekend for a night out etc, than going to a London uni.. I think that sounds better, going down a few times a year to visit my friends. :tongue:

Yes I guess. I'm fine with early dates as long as I know in advance - so I can plan in my prep time! It'll be more expensive for you in Sept!
Original post by liviaaa
Hong Kong and Australia. It's the end of August - so it'll be a nice end to the summer hols after all the hard work. :tongue: Shame I miss results though :/

Yes same.. my Mum thinks open days are a waste of time. For medicine they give you a tour around at the interview anyway, and you only need to look round if you have an interview - if not you may just be wasting your time. Besides it's hardly like I've got a huge list to pick from, I'm so fussy I'll probs onyl have the 4 I need anyway, haha.

That is so cool! Although why specifically HK and Australia?
Ahh, no. :s-smilie: I missed GCSE results day but I was glad about that because it seems like such a tense day. This results day will be nice though, sharing in the joy of Y13s. :smile:

Ah, good point. I'm just worried they'll ask me about why that uni and be like "lol you didn't go the open day, REJECT". Same here, I'm so fussy! The only unis I feel a massive affinity towards are Manc, Liverpool, Glasgow and East Anglia. As it stands, Manc and Glasgow are really focused on UKCAT, Liverpool is really competitive cos it allows resits and doesn't use UKCAT and EA is outside of Norwich which is a small city so that's slight offputting. :s-smilie: But I think I'd be happy wherever I ended up really. :smile:
Ok, so my chemistry revision guide for Salters has done a question involving the percentage yield wrong. Been annoying me all afternoon. I'm not very mathematically minded, but I know an error when I see one.
Reply 1535
Cool cool, duly noted. :smile:

Ok, I'm getting really excited now for no reason. We have the whole of Easter off and the next year is going to be so exciting and going to bring so much change. In 1 year, we'll know if we have an offer for med school or not. :eek:

I knowww how crazzzzy! Then again some people still haven't heard from this year still...

Do your parents understand how competitive medicine is? My parents seem to think me being their daughter that why wouldn't I get in? It's so annoyinggggg... I keep telling me they don't understand the competition and they're so bias! :mad:
Original post by liviaaa
Yes maths is my fav. :tongue: Yup expensive, and so big! I hate the tubes too - they're such a pain. Sometimes I like a bit and piece and quiet, and be able to walk in a straight line down the street!

Apparently it's cheaper to go to a uni not in London and go down to London every weekend for a night out etc, than going to a London uni.. I think that sounds better, going down a few times a year to visit my friends. :tongue:

Yes I guess. I'm fine with early dates as long as I know in advance - so I can plan in my prep time! It'll be more expensive for you in Sept!

Apparently artistic people do tend to be good at maths. :smile:
True, but then London is the centre of everything and I feel like I want to be there. But then Manc apparently has everything except a beach so that's good. :smile:

Really? Wow, I didn't realise London was that bad! Haha, that sounds like a good plan tbh, best of both worlds.

I know what you mean, but I'm not a very organised person. :cry: I know, that extra expensiveness sucks. But I'm away for the vast majority of August... tbh I don't even know if I'm here for results day, so I can't do it then. When I get back I have some work exp to do so I want to focus on that more than UKCAT, y'know?
Original post by liviaaa
I knowww how crazzzzy! Then again some people still haven't heard from this year still...

Do your parents understand how competitive medicine is? My parents seem to think me being their daughter that why wouldn't I get in? It's so annoyinggggg... I keep telling me they don't understand the competition and they're so bias! :mad:

Competition doesn't matter when you know your child is obviously more talented/intelligent/skilled/hard working/charismatic/caring/(what ever else unis want you to be for medicine) than everyone else.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1538
That is so cool! Although why specifically HK and Australia?
Ahh, no. :s-smilie: I missed GCSE results day but I was glad about that because it seems like such a tense day. This results day will be nice though, sharing in the joy of Y13s. :smile:

Ah, good point. I'm just worried they'll ask me about why that uni and be like "lol you didn't go the open day, REJECT". Same here, I'm so fussy! The only unis I feel a massive affinity towards are Manc, Liverpool, Glasgow and East Anglia. As it stands, Manc and Glasgow are really focused on UKCAT, Liverpool is really competitive cos it allows resits and doesn't use UKCAT and EA is outside of Norwich which is a small city so that's slight offputting. :s-smilie: But I think I'd be happy wherever I ended up really. :smile:

HongKong is to break the journey to Aus. Aus cos my parents fancied it. :tongue:

Hmmm.. it may be nice. GCSE results day was horrible. I spent the first bit being "happy" with my friends, went out to the car park and burst into tears haha, :') (I'm such a perfectionist, people get annoyed when I tell them I cried, haha.)

Buuttttt you could sayy.. Becaause I was doing work experience on the open day :wink:

Ohh I really like the idea of Manc, but not PBL :/ L'pool accent is annoying, haha. Yes I agree, it'll be so much fun!
Original post by liviaaa

Really? :eek: Everyone I know has heard back now. Poor them!

Idk actually... I think they do, but they also think I'll get in, also because I'm their daughter. :p: But I think they realised how competitive even getting work exp is so that might have been an indication of applying to uni. It doesn't help that the three family friends we know who have applied to uni for med have had 2+ offers. :cry:

Latest

Trending

Trending