The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gl chaps - I'll be honest here, but the entire process is hell. Blood, sweat, tears the lot. But when you get that offer you'll all realise it was worth it! :smile:
Can you order prospectuses yet? or is it too early for that.
Was booking open days earlier, anything to avoid german revision :tongue:
Original post by nerd1234

Original post by nerd1234
Wow! Those are awesome ums marks! :biggrin:
Seeing as you've applied to Cambridge, do you think i'd be able to get in with only 4 a levels? (as you've done 6 :eek:). I'm not applying this year btw.
And are you taking them all to A2?

Thank you! :smile: Yeah, you defineltly have a good chance with 4 A levels (i technically have 5, as General studies isnt counted...my school just forced everyone to do it lol). As long as you do well in the 4 subjects, you've got equal chance compared to people who do 5 or more (its more how you do, rathr than how many) :smile:
And yeah, im taking them all (except general studies)
Good luck for when you apply! :biggrin:
Original post by Singh993

Gl chaps - I'll be honest here, but the entire process is hell. Blood, sweat, tears the lot. But when you get that offer you'll all realise it was worth it! :smile:

Very, very true :smile:
congrats on Kings btw!
Original post by atomos
Can you order prospectuses yet? or is it too early for that.
Was booking open days earlier, anything to avoid german revision :tongue:

We had a UCAS fair earlier this week where they were giving out the 2012 prospectuses, so I would assume so. I've got a big pile on my desk, need to move them somewhere...
Reply 145
Original post by Bubbles2010
Thank you! :smile: Yeah, you defineltly have a good chance with 4 A levels (i technically have 5, as General studies isnt counted...my school just forced everyone to do it lol). As long as you do well in the 4 subjects, you've got equal chance compared to people who do 5 or more (its more how you do, rathr than how many) :smile:
And yeah, im taking them all (except general studies)
Good luck for when you apply! :biggrin:

Thanks!:biggrin:
Original post by Bubbles2010
Very, very true :smile:
congrats on Kings btw!

thank you :smile: congratulations on cambridge - said it before but man what an achievement!! :smile:
x
Reply 147

I've heard so many horrible stories, I can actually imagine it now.
Fingers crossed though! :puppyeyes:
Reply 148
Original post by Normandy114

We had a UCAS fair earlier this week where they were giving out the 2012 prospectuses, so I would assume so. I've got a big pile on my desk, need to move them somewhere...

What prospectuses have you got? I wanted to order a few, but they were all for 2011 entry so I didn't bother :rolleyes:
Original post by oHellno
I've heard so many horrible stories, I can actually imagine it now.
Fingers crossed though! :puppyeyes:

There are many horror stories - but so long as you work hard to make your application solid there's every chance you'll get there :smile: best of luck x

This is pretty much right. :biggrin:

Keep in mind also that rejection does not necessarily mean you're not good enough to study medicine.

thank you :smile: congratulations on cambridge - said it before but man what an achievement!! :smile:
x

There are many horror stories - but so long as you work hard to make your application solid there's every chance you'll get there :smile: best of luck x

Making your application solid is one thing, applying to the 'correct' places is the other. It's a big reason why a lot of people who are good on paper get rejected pre-interview.

To everyone: Apply smart and play to your strengths.

Good GCSEs: Birmingham (if you have 9A*s). Kings as well.

Good UKCAT: Manchester, Newcastle, Kings, Barts.
Original post by oHellno
What prospectuses have you got? I wanted to order a few, but they were all for 2011 entry so I didn't bother :rolleyes:

Peninsula, Leeds, Sheffield, Keele, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, Brighton&Sussex, Southampton. Anything you want to know specifically from them?
Reply 154
Good luck guys !
Reply 155
Peninsula, Leeds, Sheffield, Keele, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Glasgow, Brighton&Sussex, Southampton. Anything you want to know specifically from them?

WOW. That's a wide spread of types of uni/course types/places ... nice variety!!
Original post by SteveCrain
why anything else?

thanks for backing me up there :biggrin:

rs is a really good subject which makes you think outside the box as well as being an essay subject which keeps you in touch with lengths of writing which might come in useful when doing extensive paperwork as a medical student.

+ as "hot bobby darling" (what a name sneh! :colone: ) rightly said- it might give me something different than the usual lot who do 3 sciences and maths (not that i dont admire them! :biggrin: )

might even go on to do it at A2..:tongue:
Reply 157
DO YOUR ****ING RESEARCH PROPERLY OR YOU'LL REGRET IT...TWICE :biggrin: look at every single uni, e-mail, call, whatever, Best of luck
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
thanks for backing me up there :biggrin:

rs is a really good subject which makes you think outside the box as well as being an essay subject which keeps you in touch with lengths of writing which might come in useful when doing extensive paperwork as a medical student.

+ as "hot bobby darling" (what a name sneh! :colone: ) rightly said- it might give me something different than the usual lot who do 3 sciences and maths (not that i dont admire them! :biggrin: )

might even go on to do it at A2..:tongue:

I'm not aware of the rs syllabus, but if it involves as much ethics as it did at GCSE, that could come in handy for medical school interviews as well. From speaking to some F1s, medical ethics seems to be a love of some medical interviewers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 159
I have prospectuses from: Cambridge, Birmingham, Sheffeild, Leeds, Imperial, Nottingham, Newcastle and a few more I can't remember. When I ordered them I think Durham and Oxford were 2 that still had 2011 rather 2012 so I didn't bother then.

I felt sorry for my postman - about 6 came through our letter box one day :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest