Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    He really was, I loved my work exp. Like, I ended up spending quite a bit of time with him so we had time for the occasional chat which was really nice. He gave me some sheets on applying to med school and what makes a good candidate and past questions and stuff. My work exp was really amazingly useful, I spent the whole time with medical staff. And he gave me his email address and seemed genuinely interested about whether or not I'd get in, I was pleasantly surprised that he seemed to actually... you know, be bothered about some 16 yo that added to his workload for a few days. Oh, and initially the work exp was only meant to be 1/2 days but he let me go for a week, but he was also like "but you need to enjoy your half term!" so I only did half days.
    Owh I'm glad yours was so useful, unlike mine..

ReputationRep:
    The prices at Manchester seemed the same as here is Ncl so I was pretty happy.

I've been reading over things so that I feel less panicked about the prospect of having to memorise the stuff, but I haven't done past papers or started solid revision. It will start soon though. I only have unit 2 exams though.
    Ncl?

Oh okay that's good - I have all the modules 1's too - stupid school.

ReputationRep:
    He really was, I loved my work exp. Like, I ended up spending quite a bit of time with him so we had time for the occasional chat which was really nice. He gave me some sheets on applying to med school and what makes a good candidate and past questions and stuff. My work exp was really amazingly useful, I spent the whole time with medical staff. And he gave me his email address and seemed genuinely interested about whether or not I'd get in, I was pleasantly surprised that he seemed to actually... you know, be bothered about some 16 yo that added to his workload for a few days. Oh, and initially the work exp was only meant to be 1/2 days but he let me go for a week, but he was also like "but you need to enjoy your half term!" so I only did half days.
    Wow he sounds like a really nice guy, I was shadowing a F1 doctor (and a couple medical students :rolleyes:) for one of my days work experience, and they basically drilled me with interview questions whenever there was free time. Really helpful, albeit panicked me at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Owh I'm glad yours was so useful, unlike mine..
    Ouch, was yours not useful? Where was it/what happened?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah :/ And the good school can often count against you.
    Haha I know, so annoying. I'm hoping in my case it simply won't make a difference lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesetoiles)
    Yeah, it must be just as hard to them to decide as it is for us to apply, I totally get why cut offs etc are so high! It's just scary for us :P
    Yeah I agree! Apparently it's a bit of a lottery too - which is a bit annoying :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    Haha I know, so annoying. I'm hoping in my case it simply won't make a difference lol.
    Same, I went to a non-private high school and private 6th form - so probs evens its self out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    I go to a good school and apparently whenever medical schools say they give offers of AAB-AAA or AAA-A*AA, they always give people from our school the higher offers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    I so understand your problem - my parents are Indian

They (and everybody else they know -.-) want me to apply to all London universities - they just don't understand how competitive university admissions in general have become, let alone Medical applications

Keele Medical School alone this year had over 2000 applications for 130 odd places (but that's probably due to sudden increase in tuition fees) :cry:
    I'm sticking in a London university just so she's satisfied that I'm going somewhere 'decent' (obviously I've got to want to go there as well :P but at this point, I will take ANY med school and be ecstatic)

I know right! I saw the figures for Keele and almost choked. It was one of my options, but I waved goodbye to it.

I was hoping that because of the increase in fees next year, there would be less competition. Then I realised that most hopeful medics would just try again, and we would have so much competition from re-applicants as well as other school leavers :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    I go to a good school and apparently whenever medical schools say they give offers of AAB-AAA or AAA-A*AA, they always give people from our school the higher offers...
    The most annoying thing about my school is that it's one of the top state schools in the country :mad: - where the average number of A*'s at GCSE is 8, and the average number of A*s at A2 is 2 -.-

FML :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, was yours not useful? Where was it/what happened?
    I've done one at a baby unit. It was so cute, but I didn't do much. I weighed the babies and filled out their weight graphs, but no interacting really with doctors etc.

I also did some at a midwifery clinic and I literally just sat there. It was kinda fun, but not useful!

I have some community hospital work though this summer booked in - hopefully it'll be more useful.

^ Incase you hadn't gathered I want to be a neonatal doctor.

ReputationRep:
    The most annoying thing about my school is that it's one of the top state schools in the country :mad: - where the average number of A*'s at GCSE is 8, and the average number of A*s at A2 is 2 -.-

Mine's also really high up in the rankings, where do you go?

ReputationRep:

Ohhh myyy god! That's an incredible school!

ReputationRep:
    Mine's also really high up in the rankings, where do you go?
    Queen Elizabeth's Boys School, Barnet is the full name.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh myyy god! That's an incredible school!
    which makes it really bad for university applications - they'd want really high grades from us :cry:

ReputationRep:
    guys, they don't care about the school....

ReputationRep:
    Queen Elizabeth's Boys School, Barnet is the full name.
    Nice, according to the times leaderboard, guess which one mine is

ReputationRep:
    which makes it really bad for university applications - they'd want really high grades from us :cry:
    Yeah I guess :/

ReputationRep:
    Wow he sounds like a really nice guy, I was shadowing a F1 doctor (and a couple medical students :rolleyes:) for one of my days work experience, and they basically drilled me with interview questions whenever there was free time. Really helpful, albeit panicked me at the time.
    He was, his son is lucky.

Really? I would've **** myself. :eek: When I first when to see him, he was seeing a patient so he gave me a sheet with past questions on it and I was terrified he'd ask me some questions, thank God he didn't. :p: Did they give you tips on how to answer the questions and stuff? These people are the kind of doctors I want to be.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, according to the times leaderboard, guess which one mine is
    Eeeh, my school is on there! Fairly low down, granted, but still. :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.