Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    He was, his son is lucky.

Really? I would've **** myself. :eek: When I first when to see him, he was seeing a patient so he gave me a sheet with past questions on it and I was terrified he'd ask me some questions, thank God he didn't. :p: Did they give you tips on how to answer the questions and stuff? These people are the kind of doctors I want to be.
    Yeah, I got drilled with 'Why do you want to be a doctor', 'why not a nurse', 'prove that blood flows around the body' and other fun questions. They then gave me feedback on it (apparently I answered well ) and just said that as long as you have done your research and have genuine motivations to do medicine, interviews aren't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    Nice, according to the times leaderboard, guess which one mine is
    Colyton Grm Sch, Colyton, Mixed, Sel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    I've done one at a baby unit. It was so cute, but I didn't do much. I weighed the babies and filled out their weight graphs, but no interacting really with doctors etc.

I also did some at a midwifery clinic and I literally just sat there. It was kinda fun, but not useful!

I have some community hospital work though this summer booked in - hopefully it'll be more useful.

^ Incase you hadn't gathered I want to be a neonatal doctor.
    But you got patient contact which unis will probably appreciate.
    I talked to the midwives and they said some really insightful stuff, along the same lines as what the doctor said, actually, so talking to people from a spectrum of medical backgrounds is good. Plus if the unis ask "why not nursing?" you're sorted for an answer.

Oooh, neonatal sounds interesting. I have no idea what speciality I'm interested in, although I did enjoy GP and I've applied for some tropical medicine work exp!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I got drilled with 'Why do you want to be a doctor', 'why not a nurse', 'prove that blood flows around the body' and other fun questions. They then gave me feedback on it (apparently I answered well ) and just said that as long as you have done your research and have genuine motivations to do medicine, interviews aren't that bad.
    Step one: Get the interview.

Haha that should be hard enough!

ReputationRep:
    I go to a good school and apparently whenever medical schools say they give offers of AAB-AAA or AAA-A*AA, they always give people from our school the higher offers...
    Haha that doesn't surprise me at all, I guess it makes sense to do that, but it sucks Plus just cos we go to good schools doesn't mean we have outstanding teachers or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Colyton Grm Sch, Colyton, Mixed, Sel?
    Yep, some of the people in this school are insanely smart.

ReputationRep:
    But you got patient contact which unis will probably appreciate.
    I talked to the midwives and they said some really insightful stuff, along the same lines as what the doctor said, actually, so talking to people from a spectrum of medical backgrounds is good. Plus if the unis ask "why not nursing?" you're sorted for an answer.

Oooh, neonatal sounds interesting. I have no idea what speciality I'm interested in, although I did enjoy GP and I've applied for some tropical medicine work exp!
    Yes, plus you obviously jazz it all up on your personal statement and say how much it taught you etc

I think GP sounds intersting due to the variety but I'm not a fan of office jobs!

ReputationRep:
    Step one: Get the interview.

Haha that should be hard enough!
    Ah god I know, I seriously hope I don't get 4 straight rejections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    Haha that doesn't surprise me at all, I guess it makes sense to do that, but it sucks Plus just cos we go to good schools doesn't mean we have outstanding teachers or anything.
    Yeah, it just means they've just accepted the clever people to begin with, and reject all those that won't fit their reputation.

ReputationRep:
    I know, it would be awful! :/ It's like you haven't even had the chance to prove yourself.

The annoying thing is one of the places who interviews teh most candidates is Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, some of the people in this school are insanely smart.
    Same - one guy in my school (he's in my form this year) got 14 A*'s - and he wants to apply for medicine - that's his place at medical school virtually guaranteed :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Same - one guy in my school (he's in my form this year) got 14 A*'s - and he wants to apply for medicine - that's his place at medical school virtually guaranteed :rolleyes:
    Wow!

Well for B'ham if nothing else..

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!

I'd still be ecstatic if I only had one offer lol

ReputationRep:
    I would love to say not necessarily but he's probably going to do great at ALevel, and I'm assuming he's got awesome work experience/voluntary work? YAY if he doesn't lol.

ReputationRep:
    I know, it would be awful! :/ It's like you haven't even had the chance to prove yourself.

The annoying thing is one of the places who interviews teh most candidates is Cambridge...
    I know, you just need to have an awesome personal statement that stands out (somehow) from all the other incredible applicants. I hear Cambridge interviews a third of their applicants which is good, but it seems only the ridiculously exceptional apply there anyway, so competition is even worse there.

I know how you feel, someone in my year received a medal because of how good he is at Maths Challenge. Fortunately not applying for medicine, so less competition for us

ReputationRep:
    Frigging hell, you're doing the work experience to find out why medicine and why not nursing. :eek: Prove that blood flows around the body? Harsh. :p: I know we have pulses in our groin () but how would you answer that?

Ah, that's reassuring but then they're med students and have possibly romanticised or excluded from memory the worst bits of the interview. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!

I'd still be ecstatic if I only had one offer lol
    Just an interview would have me ecstatic, one chance to prove yourself to get a place at medical school is all I ask for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    YAY if he doesn't lol.
    I know right!

I should be glad that he's going to do medicine and all but I'm not - I'm a bit pissed that he'll get in even though he's a really big a**hole

So I really hope he doesn't get in

ReputationRep:
    but how would you answer that?
    Probably talk about how the hear pumps blood around the body and then if blood didn't get back, there would be no blood to pump and hence no oxygen would get to cells, which would lead to cell death etc.

ReputationRep:
    I know, you just need to have an awesome personal statement that stands out (somehow) from all the other incredible applicants. I hear Cambridge interviews a third of their applicants which is good, but it seems only the ridiculously exceptional apply there anyway, so competition is even worse there.

I know how you feel, someone in my year received a medal because of how good he is at Maths Challenge. Fortunately not applying for medicine, so less competition for us
    It's more like 80-90 %.

I was looking at the med application page on TSR and someone this year got offers from Cambridge with only 4 A*s at GCSE?!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.