Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    Hi,

I'm a hopeful med applicant 2012
    Is that the places you applied last year if so what was the feedback - im thinking of applying to St Georges and Imperial
    St. George's is a good idea to apply for, as everyone gets an interview. But with imperial, it's a huge risk and trust me you don't want to take any risks with such a competitive course. I'm ruling out imperial because if my bmat is too low, like last year, it becomes a waste of an application. By the way, I was half a mark off what they wanted in one of the sections for bmat. That cost me the place. Apply to the ones that you know you can get into. That's the safest bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabbo12)
    I wrote 4.
    Ah whoops misread you thinking on sticking with those four or going for any new ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    I'm fluent in terms of writing/listening/speaking, but my reading is so slow - it takes me a long time to process the characters

So, if I got decent A*'s in W/L/S, and get a B in R, I could potentially still get an A* overall.
    i got 3 a* in w/l/s, got c in r, a overall fml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    Really? I thought AQA was awful for GCSE and Biology is still pretty awful, but Edexcel Chemistry is really good, the exams are fine as well, everything that comes up has been covered by the textbook.
    Are you serious? At least 20 marks of things that come up are not from the textbook. One question was 'Why would you add K instead of Na to the blood? That is definitely not covered by the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    Ah whoops misread you thinking on sticking with those four or going for any new ones?
    I'm going for a few new ones, u?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm guessing you got an amazing UKCAT score because you applied to kings/leicester, any tips apart from practising loads? (I'm planning to apply to leicester, and kings if I get a good enough UKCAT score)

Cheers
    Leicester don't care about UKCAT. As long as your lowest mark is at least 570/900. I barely prepared for ukcat, and got a high score. Don't prepare too much it's am aptitude test so anything you do will probably not make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? At least 20 marks of things that come up are not from the textbook. One question was 'Why would you add K instead of Na to the blood? That is definitely not covered by the textbook.
    :lolwut: I've done all the new spec Unit 1 past papers and they were completely fine, and from what I've done of unit 2 they also seem fine. What topic was this question on?

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: I've done all the new spec Unit 1 past papers and they were completely fine, and from what I've done of unit 2 they also seem fine. What topic was this question on?
    Exactly!

EDIT: woops, stupid me! :facepalm: (Thought you guys were talking about AQA Biology Unit 1 :mmm:)

ReputationRep:
    St. George's is a good idea to apply for, as everyone gets an interview. But with imperial, it's a huge risk and trust me you don't want to take any risks with such a competitive course. I'm ruling out imperial because if my bmat is too low, like last year, it becomes a waste of an application. By the way, I was half a mark off what they wanted in one of the sections for bmat. That cost me the place. Apply to the ones that you know you can get into. That's the safest bet.
    Hi, thanxs for the reply ahhh im sorry about your BMAT thats really annoying! Ye i understand that its a risk but i thik i want to put it down as my 'risky risky' one. went to the open day and really liked it . I will wait to see my grades in august i suppose. I think i might do really bad at interviews though. I'm thinking of putting bristol down as well because they dont need an admissions test. Hoping to do one that replies on academics (mainly), one that dose not rely on interview, one that does not rely on admission tests, one that doesn't rely on academics. Dont want any of the to rely on sports too much and stuff like that. Is this a stupid idea?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for a few new ones, u?
    I'm sticking with St.A and Aberdeen but not sure about the others - probably new. Least got more time to look around now, I missed most open days last year

ReputationRep:
    I do edexcel chemistry and I know I have seen this question somewhere, but cannot remember where, it's definitely a unit 2 paper. On the whole, edexcel are a very good exam board for chemistry, it's just the odd question like this one which are a bit difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    I do edexcel chemistry and I know I have seen this question somewhere, but cannot remember where, it's definitely a unit 2 paper. On the whole, edexcel are a very good exam board for chemistry, it's just the odd question like this one which are a bit difficult.
    I still have a few past papers left to do, so maybe I'll come across it? If it's in the application section then that might make a bit more sense, that's usually where they throw in any strange questions lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiviD)
    hahah! i do epq too. what you doing it on?
    and yeah im the kind of person that does **** all during the year and then crams the night before the exam. little bit like what im supposed to be doing right now for my physics mock tomorrow.
    what gcse's did you get?
    im looking at cambridge because they look at the as grades more heavily than the bmat and im nervous about the essay part on the bmat because i am awful at writing essays!
    do you mean mechanics maths or physics??
    I'm doing my EPQ on the treatment of adolescent depression (no jokes please :rolleyes:)

If I did the night before I would probably die inside for the exam. The week leading up to the exam is generally quite busy though if you get what I mean.

Mechanics in general is not fun because Maths hates me and I'm not too fond of it either. That said, most of my problems are niggly mistakes that we all make at times. I just seem to make millions of them so need to iron out my technique before exams.

I didn't know Cambridge looked grades more heavily that BMAT. I'm more confident in exams than I am in an aptitude test for which I haven't started preparing for yet... I've definitely got to uber ace these next exams...
    Maybe I should start revising o.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidragon)
    I'm doing my EPQ on the treatment of adolescent depression (no jokes please :rolleyes:)
    Nice topic, mine's on research into/treatment of motor neuron disease. When do you plan on starting it? We get assigned our tutors for it after Easter, so I'll probably start once exams are over myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    Nice topic, mine's on research into/treatment of motor neuron disease. When do you plan on starting it? We get assigned our tutors for it after Easter, so I'll probably start once exams are over myself.
    I was planning on working consistently on it over the holidays I've had but that fell to pieces quickly. I'll have to rejig the plan I made to reflect what I'm actually going to do and start after the exams like you. I also need to think of a way of talking to a psychiatrist maybe :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidragon)
    I also need to think of a way of talking to a psychiatrist maybe :|
    Why? For procrastination? :eek:

Dude, if that's the case, I should be put in a mental facility!

EDIT: Just realised you're talking about your EPQ :facepalm: - I can be really thick sometimes :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Why? For procrastination? :eek:

Dude, if that's the case, I should be put in a mental facility!

EDIT: Just realised you're talking about your EPQ :facepalm: - I can be really thick sometimes :sad:
    LOL. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    Hi, thanxs for the reply ahhh im sorry about your BMAT thats really annoying! Ye i understand that its a risk but i thik i want to put it down as my 'risky risky' one. went to the open day and really liked it . I will wait to see my grades in august i suppose. I think i might do really bad at interviews though. I'm thinking of putting bristol down as well because they dont need an admissions test. Hoping to do one that replies on academics (mainly), one that dose not rely on interview, one that does not rely on admission tests, one that doesn't rely on academics. Dont want any of the to rely on sports too much and stuff like that. Is this a stupid idea?
    To be honest, if u think u can get a high bmat score, apply to ucl because if u can get an interview, ull probably get an offer even if ur interview isnt very good. They give offers to lots of people given an interview. Imperial's quite hard in that area.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if u think u can get a high bmat score, apply to ucl because if u can get an interview, ull probably get an offer even if ur interview isnt very good. They give offers to lots of people given an interview. Imperial's quite hard in that area.
    Hey, do UCL interviewers tend to ask you about your choice of BMAT essay and why you wrote what you wrote or am I getting confused with another medical school?

ReputationRep:
    I know this isn't relevant to the recent posts but....

I have some work experience lined up :awesome:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.