Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

best whisky brand watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    Neat? JD is disgusting neat... it's a nice drink to have with a mixer but as a whisky it's pretty awful really. Just a horrible bitterness.
    JD isnt that bad neat! its better than Bells or any of that rubbish that burns your throat to be fair...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winter_mute)
    That's pretty damn good! To be honest it's not something I drink much (I've never been drunk! :eek:) but it's really good to sit and sip after a long shift on the wards

Question for the thread: Ice or no Ice? I've been on 3 taster tours (Whisky exchange, Bushmills and Glenmorangie) and all 3 says ice it and I agree. Contentious issue though.

Also something I didn't recommend is go to a Royal Mile Whisky store if you can. There's a couple in London, Edinburgh (obvs) and maybe Leeds/Manchester. They always have these bottles from these tiny distilleries that's not expensive and you always come out with something good!
    Im all for no ice. Although ice is alright, i just find it ends up diluting the taste and i dont like it. If its a sharper whiskey i might go for ice, or sometimes even filtered water or something like that. I've been known to buy a bottle and a 6 pack of perrier one evening

ReputationRep:
    I am particularly fond of Bushmills, though Kilbeggan goes down well too.

Much prefer Irish whiskey over Scotch. Looking forward to trying some Japanese stuff some day, when I have the money.

Interestingly, the Crown Royal Distillery in Canada is found in the Icelandic area of the country, hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy-Leigh)
    JD isnt that bad neat! its better than Bells or any of that rubbish that burns your throat to be fair...
    I totally disagree with this. Py0alb is totally on the button on this one. Scottish single malt it absolutely the best Whisky that can be purchased and consumed, although there are exceptions. Bells is a great whisky to consume neat, it has quite a clean whisky flavour, like Famous Grouse. Although nowhere near as developed as your Glenfiddich or typical Argyll whisky brands, they're miles ahead of the likes of sour mash or bourbons.

ReputationRep:
    Bushmills!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I totally disagree with this. Py0alb is totally on the button on this one. Scottish single malt it absolutely the best Whisky that can be purchased and consumed, although there are exceptions. Bells is a great whisky to consume neat, it has quite a clean whisky flavour, like Famous Grouse. Although nowhere near as developed as your Glenfiddich or typical Argyll whisky brands, they're miles ahead of the likes of sour mash or bourbons.
    Personally I cant stand Bells, but Glenfiddich..yes..viery nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)
    Im all for no ice. Although ice is alright, i just find it ends up diluting the taste and i dont like it. If its a sharper whiskey i might go for ice, or sometimes even filtered water or something like that. I've been known to buy a bottle and a 6 pack of perrier one evening
    I think the problem with ice is that its too clumsy. As you say, you want a tiny bit of water in there to open up the flavours, but by the time the ice has melted you've got far too much. Much more effective to just add a tiny drop of cold water.

ReputationRep:
    Macalan 21 is probably one of the nicest things I've ever tasted. Expensive though.

They say your scotch should be as old as the women you look at. So at least 18, maybe that's a bit of a snobby way of looking at it.

Personally I just drink whatever's in my dads decanter. It's usually a GF 18 or something on those lines. When I go to uni I'll have to buy something cheaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I think the problem with ice is that its too clumsy. As you say, you want a tiny bit of water in there to open up the flavours, but by the time the ice has melted you've got far too much. Much more effective to just add a tiny drop of cold water.
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Whilst I agree that single malt scotch is the ultimate, and that Bells is pretty decent for a blend, I wouldn't say its in the same league as a good sourmash or bourbon.

Have you ever tried a single barrel (the equivalent of single malt) aged bourbon? You have to get them from an importer over here or go to the States yourself (which is where I got into them), but they're really excellent.

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually tried a single barrel aged bourbon; the inexplicable nature of bourbon availability is that it's the cheap trendy American crap brands that tend to be stocked almost exclusively, which is why I usually stick to Scottish single malts; I've also oddly grown accustomed to certain Japanese whisky, which is something I hadn't previously considered. Very different taste, not as peaty.

Nonetheless perhaps I am being hasty py0alb; I've clearly just had experience with those aforementioned "trendy bourbons" which I probably shouldn't judge the category by!

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually tried a single barrel aged bourbon; the inexplicable nature of bourbon availability is that it's the cheap trendy American crap brands that tend to be stocked almost exclusively, which is why I usually stick to Scottish single malts; I've also oddly grown accustomed to certain Japanese whisky, which is something I hadn't previously considered. Very different taste, not as peaty.

Nonetheless perhaps I am being hasty py0alb; I've clearly just had experience with those aforementioned "trendy bourbons" which I probably shouldn't judge the category by!
    Try something like this, retails for about $60:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Try something like this, retails for about $60:

JD do a nice cheap single barrel. Its usually my go-to drink in nice bars and stuff.

Saw it first in costco :P

ReputationRep:
    Macallan 18, or Glenfiddich 30 would be my go to drink, but I once got a hand on this 42 year old single malt (forgot what its called) and it blew me away, however the price tag for a single (46 pounds) means I wouldnt get it again unless it was for free.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.