Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Red nose day is a waste of time! Watch

Instead of sending all that money to Africa, and helping a child live in pain for another year, we should have donated that money to Japan.
    Every year we donate money to Africa, and then next year round they're still ill, and there hardly a suitable location.
    I think it would be more beneficial to send the money to Japan for a change. Make it fairer. It would also benefit the economy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure the decision of where the money would go was made way before the Japan disaster. They already filmed in Uganda about the people it would benefit.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you talking about? People in Africa are way worse off than people in Japan, even after the earthquake. If you watched the videos they showed you would realise that. Plus, Japan is still getting loads of donations from all around the world so they should be just fine.

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness all of those little sequences on Africa were probably filmed months in advance. Plus, not being nasty but Japan is one of the worlds largest economies, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't help at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh because people in Japan suffer from poverty and cannot afford food or shelter!!!

Get a grip and learn your facts!

http://www.aneki.com/comparison.php?...ountry_2=Niger

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what an idiot you are.

In case you haven't noticed, Japan is one of the most economically developed countries in the world. The 72 million quid that has been raised for comic relief is much more handy to someone who has HIV, lives in poor conditions, can't afford clean water and risks being contracted with other life-threatening diseases all his/her life in comparison to a person who probably earns about 30000 quid a year and lives in one of the most developed countries in the world. Yes it would be kind to make donations to Japan but they are definitely not the people in need of 72 million quid.

And the fact that they're "still ill" means we should stop helping them? Let's just let every old, ill person in this country let them selves starve to death then shall we because that's benefits us all does it? what an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Japan is more then capable of funding its own side of the clean up operations. I believe over a dozen countries have sent support there in terms of man-power and machines; hell, my brother's gone over to pilot rescue helicopters due to his flight experience.
    I digress:

Yeah, Japan has more then enough money to aid its own operation; I don't think we've sent of much financial aid at all. I believe its just been vehicles to aid in the clean up, medical staff and personal.

Africa, however does need our financial aid, and definitely our medical staff and people to build hospitals, water supplies, etc. To compare one of the richest MEDCs to one of the poorest LEDC collectives is wrong; Japan needs man-power as it has wealth, and Africa needs financial aid as it has man-power. Basically sums it up, I think.

:dontknow:

If this image doesn't want to make you donate your money then I don't know what will.
    Red nose day is good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPthreefifthteen)
    Yeh because people in Japan suffer from poverty and cannot afford food or shelter!!!

Get a grip and learn your facts!

http://www.aneki.com/comparison.php?...ountry_2=Niger
    If your entire house has been destroyed (along with all of your possesions) then yeh... they are in "poverty".

The majority of people that have had their homes destroyed by the earthquake are now living off very limited food resources. Especially after reports of radioactive contamination of foods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    If this image doesn't want to make you donate your money then I don't know what will.
    Red nose day is good!
    That child will grow up, suffer more, and require more aid to keep on living their life.
    Not to mention the multiple children they will eventually try to have which will result in more aid required.

We're funding a vicious circle of suffering and death. Its a waste of money imo.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say its a waste of time. I think they should change how they spend the money, less short term investment ie. keeping a child alive, and a shift to long term investments that will save thousands of children in the future.
    I have a very unpopular view I know but the problem will never be solved in the way we're trying to solve it. I suppose Its the atom bomb dilemma, kill thousands to save millions.
    But that's just me and I'm grateful the majority of the population don't always see things my way

ReputationRep:
    I think more money should go to British children living in poverty. How can we help other countries to the best of our ability, if we can't help our own first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    I think more money should go to British children living in poverty. How can we help other countries to the best of our ability, if we can't help our own first?
    Because children living in so called "poverty" aren't suffering remotely as much as those abroad (I know, I was one of them). All poverty in Britain means is you can't have fancy meals out/buy the latest games console etc.

Of course, some are a lot worse off but that would mainly be down to parental neglect, I can't think of a scenario where they wouldn't be eligible for complete government support.

As to sending the money to Japan, they are one of the richest countries in the world and although devastating, it didn't affect large bits of the country. I fully support emergency aid in the aftermath, but they can support themselves after that.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't there a report today that said Japan's gong to take 5 years to recover from the tsunami/earthquake? If 5 years was all it took how many times should Africa have been fixed by now following your logic

ReputationRep:
    'Africa' will never be on the level as MEDS's in terms of education, health etc. Comic Relief is not sustainable. The root of the problem needs to be tackled i.e civil war, corrupt governments, foreign debt etc before any real headway can be made. A few malaria nets, vaccinations and hospital beds do nothing in the long run to improve the living conditions of the LEDC's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Because children living in so called "poverty" aren't suffering remotely as much as those abroad (I know, I was one of them). All poverty in Britain means is you can't have fancy meals out/buy the latest games console etc.

Of course, some are a lot worse off but that would mainly be down to parental neglect, I can't think of a scenario where they wouldn't be eligible for complete government support.

As to sending the money to Japan, they are one of the richest countries in the world and although devastating, it didn't affect large bits of the country. I fully support emergency aid in the aftermath, but they can support themselves after that.
    Maybe that's your definition of poverty; that sounds like a pretty cushy poverty to me. To me, poverty means being unable to afford food and rent, being on the verge of losing your house etc.

I know there are people out there suffering more, but if we put more money into making sure everyone in this country has more to donate, we can donate more to Africa in the future. Also, how much money that goes to Africa goes on sex education and condoms? That would solve many of the problems they have if they were taught about them, and they were more readily available - it should help with the AIDS problem and also result in a lot less children being born into poverty.

ReputationRep:
    Raising over £74 million, for any just cause is not a waste of time... period

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Red nose day is good!
    My cousin's Roman Catholic school didn't let any one wear a red nose. After researching it on the internet, it turns out that they believe it encourages abortions

ReputationRep:
    lol, 9/10.

ReputationRep:
    i'm half japanese and seeing the destruction etc. made me cry a lot but I think that red nose day is very very important.
    even if you think it's only letting a child live longer in suffering it raises awareness esp. in the young children which imo is incredibly valuable and shows africa that they have our support and that we are thinking of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.