Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between real constant and complex constant?

For example, 3 is a real constant, but is it also a complex constant? Can you give some examples of complex constant that are not real constant?

Thanks in advance !

ReputationRep:
    Any real number is also a complex number. Every complex number is of the form z = x + i y, where x and y are real numbers, and i = \sqrt{-1}.
    x is the real part of z and y is the imaginary part.

So any complex number with y nonzero is not a real number. Examples of complex constants that are not real: 3 + 2 i, -5 + 19 i, or just i itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liewchuan)
    Any real number is also a complex number. Every complex number is of the form z = x + i y, where x and y are real numbers, and i = \sqrt{-1}.
    x is the real part of z and y is the imaginary part.

So any complex number with y nonzero is not a real number. Examples of complex constants that are not real: 3 + 2 i, -5 + 19 i, or just i itself.
    Thanks but now I have one more question.

Does that mean that every complex number is a (complex) constant? If not, can you give some examples of complex number that are not complex constant?

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Every real number is also a complex number - it just has an imaginary part that is zero.

When you consider the complex numbers, some of them are also real numbers (those with imaginary part zero) but others are not real such as 3+4i.

An important special case to remember is 0, which is real, imaginary and complex. This is because it can be expressed as 0, 0i or 0+0i

ReputationRep:
    All numbers are constants aren't they.

In an equation you might have an unknown value such as x or z which can take on many values in which case it's called a variable. If it can take on complex values it is called a complex variable. An constant C is not really a variable but merely a place-holder for "any particular value". That maybe is a subtle difference (if any).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    Every real number is also a complex number - it just has an imaginary part that is zero.

When you consider the complex numbers, some of them are also real numbers (those with imaginary part zero) but others are not real such as 3+4i.

An important special case to remember is 0, which is real, imaginary and complex. This is because it can be expressed as 0, 0i or 0+0i
    I understand that, but what I was asking is whether you mind giving me some examples of complex number that are not (complex constant)?

For example, why is 3 + 2i a complex constant? Is there any complex number that is not complex constant ? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melbss01)
    Thanks but now I have one more question.

Does that mean that every complex number is a (complex) constant? If not, can you give some examples of complex number that are not complex constant?

Thanks !
    We say a number is a constant if it never changes. For example the formula for the area of a circle is \pi r^2. Here pi and 2 are constants as they never change. However the radius r can change so that is not a constant.

An example of a complex constant is i which never changes.

If you just write down some complex number then that automatically makes it a constant since it's not going to change if you're only referring to one specific complex number.

However if you have an expression containing a variable (such as z) that can take a variety of complex numbers then z is not a constant. For example I could write z^2 where z is complex but not a constant. You could, if you wanted, plug in a value for z and calculate z squared. But writing z^2 on its own doesn't tell you that z has to be any particular value.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that, but what I was asking is whether you mind giving me some examples of complex number that are not (complex constant)?
    I wrote that post before seeing the follow up posts, hence I didn't answer your later question. I've now seen it so look at my post above for an answer.
    For example, why is 3 + 2i a complex constant? Is there any complex number that is not complex constant ? Thanks
    3+2i is a complex constant because it's complex and because it's a constant. The reason it's constant is because we've specified that it has to take on one single value (3+2i).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    I wrote that post before seeing the follow up posts, hence I didn't answer your later question. I've now seen it so look at my post above for an answer.
    3+2i is a complex constant because it's complex and because it's a constant. The reason it's constant is because we've specified that it has to take on one single value (3+2i).
    Thanks! By the way, how do we differentiate 3 + 2i ? I have just learned the subject and I am kind of confused. Is the answer 0 ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! By the way, how do we differentiate 3 + 2i ? I have just learned the subject and I am kind of confused. Is the answer 0 ?
    Yes. The formal reason for this is:

If we take a function f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow\mathbb{C  } (i.e. a function which takes complex functions as input then outputs complex numbers)

defined as f(z)=3+2i

Then the derivative f'(z) is defined as f'(z)=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\dfrac  {f(z+h)-f(z)}{h} = \lim_{h\rightarrow0}\dfrac{(3+2i  )-(3+2i)}{h} = \lim_{h\rightarrow0}0 = 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    Yes. The formal reason for this is:

If we take a function f:\mathbb{C}\rightarrow\mathbb{C  } (i.e. a function which takes complex functions as input then outputs complex numbers)

defined as f(z)=3+2i

Then the derivative f'(z) is defined as f'(z)=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\dfrac  {f(z+h)-f(z)}{h} = \lim_{h\rightarrow0}\dfrac{(3+2i  )-(3+2i)}{h} = \lim_{h\rightarrow0}0 = 0
    If z = x + iy,

Is the partial derivative of z w.r.t x is 1?
    Is the partial derivative of z w.r.t y is i?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If z = x + iy,

Is the partial derivative of z w.r.t x is 1?
    Is the partial derivative of z w.r.t y is i?

Thanks.
    If you're considering this as a function from \mathbb{R}^2 to \mathbb{C} then I'm pretty sure you can say that. However if you're at university then avoid using that result unless you've been taught about partial derivatives involving complex numbers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.