Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it inevitable that Britain or the US will get attacked in the near future? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ale_jrb)
    Sending planes in would just be starting a war though, and I think it's debatable whether Russia would be willing to go to war with America over Iran. Obviously they're willing to issue a severe warning, but would they go to war? Of course, the exact same thing applies in the other direction, and America is very unlikely to be willing to go to war with Russia over Iran.
    How many times must it be said? Russia will not go to war over Iran. Russia will go to war because of their interests in Iran that are worth a lot to them and their economy. Obviously, Russia is not going take too kindly to an invasion that poses a serious threat to their interests in Iran, just as no other country would.

You also seem to think it would be really easy for countries to secretly mobilise their forces, and say that everyone here is underestimating how sneaky they can be. It's possible, but I think it's more likely you're underestimating how good surveillance is on both sides...
    Its 2011, there is enough tech around now to slip radars easily and avoid showing up, regardless of the sophisticated technology used on the other end. Plus, the Russians wouldn't need to hide. Any aircraft showing on US radar could be regarded as US aircraft itself. It would be impossible to tell that the aircraft showing up was Russian. It may pick up aircraft but it won't sense the nationality of the person in the cockpit.

If I was in a US aircraft launching an attack on Iran and I saw 3 planes behind me on my radar I would just assume it was other US aircraft ready to launch attacks as well. The only way you'd find out is when the first few planes got hit and you were told over radio to retreat as you were under attack. What happens from their on in completely depends on what the military decide to do.

ReputationRep:
    You can't compare a drug cartel to a previous government (the taliban)...both very very different motives..

ReputationRep:
    Any country that could have a fighting chance against NATO wouldn't attack any NATO country, because to do so would not be in their interest economically as quite simply they'd lose a good majority of their trading partners.

So in short I don't think it's very likely as mankind's greed has resulted in a situation where superpowers won't attack one another. That's how I see it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Persia I)
    They've warned America not to invade because they feel the Yanks are simply throwing their weight around in a sensitive region which both are close to, which is why they have befriended the Iranian regime as to push back american influence in the Persian Gulf region and the wider Middle East which is full of American political allies i.e most of the Arab countries, with the exception of Syria and Lebanon, and also Israel and Afghanistan to name a few.
    No, not really. The Chinese have no interest in "influence" in the region. They only care about Oil and Iran provides them with a significant amount.

American influence in the region ensures a steady supply of oil to China. As long as Oil continues to flow, then they don't care what happens in Palestine and etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    How many times must it be said? Russia will not go to war over Iran. Russia will go to war because of their interests in Iran that are worth a lot to them and their economy. Obviously, Russia is not going take too kindly to an invasion that poses a serious threat to their interests in Iran, just as no other country would.
    I have no experience on warfare but what you just said was complete bull****, surely radars can pick up friendly aircraft and hostile aircraft depending on signals etc.

You also keep on talking about interests, what interests are these you talk of in a minor regional power such as Iran for 3 global powers to go to war over? I doubt there'd ever be a conventional war between Russia-US China-US, inter-dependent economies and also MAD, they'd either use nukes or not go to war at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    You can't compare a drug cartel to a previous government (the taliban)...both very very different motives..
    The thing is, if America invaded Mexico or Venezuela for oil, all the other southern American countries would get involved. Obviously the motives of the cartels will be to protect their empire which is built on drugs and crime. I don't think they'd be too happy with their countries suddenly coming under attack. They would retaliate and America would have to kill a serious amount of civilians by carpet bombing or send in a lot of troops on the ground which means a high amount of casualties. Thats the last thing America wants now, they want an easy invasion where they can get their hands on resources.

ReputationRep:
    You might well be right there, I suppose. I guess it depends how much they value their interests in Iran, but I have no evidence to say either way.

Its 2011, there is enough tech around now to slip radars easily and avoid showing up, regardless of the sophisticated technology used on the other end.
    It's 2011 - they invented this thing called a satellite that can actually look at the military bases of other countries and see if they're mobilising.

Plus, the Russians wouldn't need to hide. Any aircraft showing on US radar could be regarded as US aircraft itself. It would be impossible to tell that the aircraft showing up was Russian. It may pick up aircraft but it won't sense the nationality of the person in the cockpit.

If I was in a US aircraft launching an attack on Iran and I saw 3 planes behind me on my radar I would just assume it was other US aircraft ready to launch attacks as well. The only way you'd find out is when the first few planes got hit and you were told over radio to retreat as you were under attack. What happens from their on in completely depends on what the military decide to do.
    Have you not heard of transponders? You do know that friendly aircraft can tell each other apart from enemies, yeah? Have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identif..._friend_or_foe.

Total stealth aircraft might get away, but do the Russians have lots of stealth fighters? Who knows - they're stealthy! I doubt it would be enough to bring down the US air force, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Any country that could have a fighting chance against NATO wouldn't attack any NATO country, because to do so would not be in their interest economically as quite simply they'd lose a good majority of their trading partners.

So in short I don't think it's very likely as mankind's greed has resulted in a situation where superpowers won't attack one another. That's how I see it anyway.
    +1

(Original post by DorianGrayism)
    No, not really. The Chinese have no interest in "influence" in the region. They only care about Oil and Iran provides them with a significant amount.

American influence in the region ensures a steady supply of oil to China. As long as Oil continues to flow, then they don't care what happens in Palestine and etc.
    You just contradicted yourself by saying American influence ensures a steady supply oil to China and saying Iran produces China with a significant amount, Iran isn't influenced by America if you hadn't noticed.

As I said, China will not go to war over Iran no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Persia I)

I have no experience on warfare but what you just said was complete bull****, surely radars can pick up friendly aircraft and hostile aircraft depending on signals etc.
    No, plus you have decoy radar systems which can trick radars easily. Tech is so far advanced it can basically fool your own military. Hence why now its more worthwhile sending out spy planes and stealth aircraft to spot enemies in the sky because you can then see the type of aircraft it is and trace it back to the military using it.

You also keep on talking about interests, what interests are these you talk of in a minor regional power such as Iran for 3 global powers to go to war over? I doubt there'd ever be a conventional war between Russia-US China-US, inter-dependent economies and also MAD, they'd either use nukes or not go to war at all...
    :erm:..... Because Russia profits from a nuclear Iran. Hence why they have gone against the sanctions imposed by other nations. This is common knowledge in International Relations. You seem to not understand the power certain countries have because of what they have and the other countries they're linked too.

I just found a write up on it. Read it.

http://www.frumforum.com/how-russia-...a-nuclear-iran

ReputationRep:
    Have you not heard of transponders? You do know that friendly aircraft can tell each other apart from enemies, yeah? Have a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identif..._friend_or_foe.

Total stealth aircraft might get away, but do the Russians have lots of stealth fighters? Who knows - they're stealthy! I doubt it would be enough to bring down the US air force, though.
    Yes I have heard of transponders. They've been around for years and years. However, its a well known fact most militaries have a significant amount of equipment to jam transponders and most modern aircraft is fitted with them. You've summed it up in your last statement. Transponder jammers basically render transponders useless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_j..._and_deception

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, if America invaded Mexico or Venezuela for oil, all the other southern American countries would get involved. Obviously the motives of the cartels will be to protect their empire which is built on drugs and crime. I don't think they'd be too happy with their countries suddenly coming under attack. They would retaliate and America would have to kill a serious amount of civilians by carpet bombing or send in a lot of troops on the ground which means a high amount of casualties. Thats the last thing America wants now, they want an easy invasion where they can get their hands on resources.
    Hmm very true, an American involvement would inevitably result in a crack down on drugs (no pun intended), so yeah the cartels would fight back - thing is though, I doubt the cartel's armies (so to speak) have that much experience fighting in comparison to the USA/GB, where as the Taliban do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    you are right, they would use their nukes because that wouldn't cause MAD......

******* genius....

go back to the stone from which you came and stop putting your stupidity on this thread for everyone to see....
    Hey your the one calling me stupied when in actual fact no one understood what you wrote ?.

" go back to the stone from which you came " have you ever been to grammer school or were you home schooled by your abusive father ?!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have heard of transponders. They've been around for years and years. However, its a well known fact most militaries have a significant amount of equipment to jam transponders and most modern aircraft is fitted with them. You've summed it up in your last statement. Transponder jammers basically render transponders useless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_j..._and_deception
    If something's jamming the transponder, it isn't friendly. So when three aircraft appear on radar and your transponder system isn't working, you can be pretty sure they aren't on your side.

ReputationRep:
    No, plus you have decoy radar systems which can trick radars easily. Tech is so far advanced it can basically fool your own military. Hence why now its more worthwhile sending out spy planes and stealth aircraft to spot enemies in the sky because you can then see the type of aircraft it is and trace it back to the military using it.

:erm:..... Because Russia profits from a nuclear Iran. Hence why they have gone against the sanctions imposed by other nations. This is common knowledge in International Relations. You seem to not understand the power certain countries have because of what they have and the other countries they're linked too.

I just found a write up on it. Read it.

http://www.frumforum.com/how-russia-...a-nuclear-iran
    Clearly they don't profit enough to veto any of the round of UN sanctions on Iran.

You don't understand what I'm trying to get across here, clearly Russia profit from a nuclear Iran as I've acknowledged, Russia incidentally are helping with Iran's first nuclear plant which is set to go live in August I think, they clearly have big interests but not BIG enough interests to risk going to war with the world's sole superpower and risk being destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    Hmm very true, an American involvement would inevitably result in a crack down on drugs (no pun intended), so yeah the cartels would fight back - thing is though, I doubt the cartel's armies (so to speak) have that much experience fighting in comparison to the USA/GB, where as the Taliban do
    It wouldn't result in a crackdown in drugs. However, it would lead to a serious loss of life as well as serious damage to the factories they use. All of which would take years and years to rebuild and obviously that would financially affect them. Cartels and drug barons only care about two things, themselves and money, nothing else. A serious loss of life in South America is also bad for them as a lot of them will be people who buy drugs from them which makes them money or people who work for them. If America or another country threatened that they would definitely fight back to protect their livelihood.

Also, I know they wouldn't be experienced much but most of them will still know how to use guns and the landscape of south america really does not make it a nice place to engage in warfare. Especially considering it will basically be like Vietnam and you won't have a clue who you are fighting.

ReputationRep:
    If something's jamming the transponder, it isn't friendly. So when three aircraft appear on radar and your transponder system isn't working, you can be pretty sure they aren't on your side.
    No. Technology is so sophisticated that the radars wouldn't even know that they were being jammed. The radar would act as normal and not show anything. They would basically just allow the other aircraft to launch a stealth attack. The thing is, America's aircraft would be fitted with the same jammers which would mean it would be extremely hard for the Russian AF to locate and attack American aircraft over Iran in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has just entered insanity. Is AreYouDizzeBlud writing a novel or something.

Russia, China and the USA are not going to war!

They might via proxies like in the Cold War - ergo Vietnam and so on - but that is it.

Nobody wants to destroy their own economies over fairly pointless all out war. I do agree the situation in Iran is concerning - hopefully it will resolve itself from within - i.e. a second Persian revolution, Iran will be the flashpoint. Israel may be the catalyst, let's hope the USA can keep them on a leash. The USA can only do so much, contry to what some may say - it is a democracy, and Americans will not allow tens of thousands of American deaths over a pointless war. It would be political suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by organ)
    this thread has just entered insanity. Is areyoudizzeblud writing a novel or something.

Russia, china and the usa are not going to war!

They might via proxies like in the cold war - ergo vietnam and so on - but that is it.

Nobody wants to destroy their own economies over fairly pointless all out war.
    Oh my God you just explained what I couldn't!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Its 2011, there is enough tech around now to slip radars easily and avoid showing up, regardless of the sophisticated technology used on the other end. Plus, the Russians wouldn't need to hide. Any aircraft showing on US radar could be regarded as US aircraft itself. It would be impossible to tell that the aircraft showing up was Russian. It may pick up aircraft but it won't sense the nationality of the person in the cockpit.

US aircraft have a certain code that designates them as military or civilian. Apart from stealth you can't really fool radar other than using something old school like aluminium foil

ReputationRep:
    No. Technology is so sophisticated that the radars wouldn't even know that they were being jammed. The radar would act as normal and not show anything. They would basically just allow the other aircraft to launch a stealth attack. The thing is, America's aircraft would be fitted with the same jammers which would mean it would be extremely hard for the Russian AF to locate and attack American aircraft over Iran in the first place.
    Oh, I was referring to when you said "If I was in a US aircraft launching an attack on Iran and I saw 3 planes behind me on my radar I would just assume it was other US aircraft ready to launch attacks as well. The only way you'd find out is when the first few planes got hit and you were told over radio to retreat as you were under attack." - if you saw three planes, and they weren't actively marked as friendly, they'd probably be considered hostile in a combat zone, no?

If they were all using stealth planes, then yeah, it would be a bit awkward when no one would see who they were supposed to be shooting at.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.