The Student Room Group

Overdue virgins: what do your parents think of your condition?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by HighestKungFu
Yeah because Freud never spoke about sex did he :rolleyes:?

Freud generally saw sex as the motivation for most things. That was the point, so, to quote Eli Porter "step down off the pedestal".

No, no, no. You see, you wrote that Freud thought that sex was the motivation for all things. I don't believe that Freud EVER (literally, EVER) said anything approximating that.

Freud thought that sex was an important component of development, or that sex was the unconscious motivation (motivation in this case is closer in meaning to "cause") for things like slips of the tongue, repression, amnesia, neurosis, etc. But he did NOT think that sex was a motivation in terms of what, I think, you meant motivation (i.e. working out, getting a nice haircut, being really a good at martial arts and putting it in your sig., say).

Shouldn't make comments about Freud when you've not actually READ any, you know?
Reply 81
My parents don't know much about my sex life, but I remember on New Years Eve my stepdad revealed he'd only had 2 sexual partners in his life. Felt strange, knowing I'd had more sex than my 4o-odd year old step dad.
Original post by Brevity
No, no, no. You see, you wrote that Freud thought that sex was the motivation for all things. I don't believe that Freud EVER (literally, EVER) said anything approximating that.

Freud thought that sex was an important component of development, or that sex was the unconscious motivation (motivation in this case is closer in meaning to "cause") for things like slips of the tongue, repression, amnesia, neurosis, etc. But he did NOT think that sex was a motivation in terms of what, I think, you meant motivation (i.e. working out, getting a nice haircut, being really a good at martial arts and putting it in your sig., say).

Shouldn't make comments about Freud when you've not actually READ any, you know?

Where did I sat that Freud thought sex was the motivation for all things? I used the term 'Freudian' loosely, and made no such absolute statement. Also, cause and motivation are closely linked as causes tend to motivate action.

I've actually read some Freud. And you're putting words in my mouth. Also, that comment about martial arts was weak and unnecessary. Your scathing attacks on me are completely unprovoked as well, and I don't intend to bite the bullet. What's the beef?

Still, I suppose one has to watch out for the Freud police on TSR. Sorry that you feel so passionately about the man. I'm sure he wouldn't turn in his grave about it though, and I never claimed to be an expert on the man.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
I dunno, I lost it before my dad did.
Reply 84
Where did I sat that Freud thought sex was the motivation for all things? I used the term 'Freudian' loosely, and made no such absolute statement. Also, cause and motivation are closely linked as causes tend to motivate action.

I've actually read some Freud. And you're putting words in my mouth. Also, that comment about martial arts was weak and unnecessary. Your scathing attacks on me are completely unprovoked as well, and I don't intend to bite the bullet. What's the beef?

Still, I suppose one has to watch out for the Freud police on TSR. Sorry that you feel so passionately about the man. I'm sure he wouldn't turn in his grave about it though, and I never claimed to be an expert on the man.

You're right to take the moral highroad—it exposes me as weak and unnecessary. I just thought thought you were using the term 'Freudian' a bit too loosely.
Reply 85
Up until a month ago I had never kissed/been out with a boy. I've always had many guy friends but been to controlled to let anything happen. My parents are aware of this, and thus trust me. They don't know about my current boyfriend. I don't plan on having sex til I'm married but my parents wouldn't be happy if they found out I was even dating. But I managed to prove my control over myself by remaining completely abstinent til my current age of 18, and so they don't suspect a thing.
Reply 86
Original post by innerhollow
Not all. I guess you could say that long-term virgins fall into three broad groups.

- Chosen celibacy, either to focus on other things such as work/study/family, which involves resisting and suppressing sexual desires.

I am only referring to those, obviously those who want to but can't, there's a logical reason.

To me, it seems ludicrous to choose a life of celibacy just so you can focus on work/study/family. Having sex once every so often, isn't going to take up so much of your time that you don't have time to work or study :lol: but that's what you're suggesting. :confused:

It's like saying, oh to get more work and studying done, I'm going to give up chocolate. Then obviously I'll have more time to study if I'm not eating chocolate. :rolleyes:

Resisting and suppressing sexual desires is unhealthy and harmful, if anything that is going to affect work and studying more.

Ask anyone who's sexually frustrated if they can concentrate on studying. Then ask them after they've had sex.
Reply 87
I don't call it a condition. I don't know if they even know, I think they are good enough parents to not try talking about it to me and embarrassing me.
Original post by Stefan1991

How do you know that you don't like sex if you've never had it?

Maybe they just don't fancy it?
Thats like saying, "Have you had sex with a little child? No? Well you could still be a peadophile, you just don't know it yet."
Reply 89
Original post by Charlottielottie
Maybe they just don't fancy it?
Thats like saying, "Have you had sex with a little child? No? Well you could still be a peadophile, you just don't know it yet."

You don't need to have sex in order to know that you have a sexual attraction to someone or some thing.

Most of those who force themselves not to have sex are resisting urges and repressing their sexuality with the idea that they are somehow doing themselves good.
You don't need to have sex in order to know that you have a sexual attraction to someone or some thing.

Most of those who force themselves not to have sex are resisting urges and repressing their sexuality with the idea that they are somehow doing themselves good.

Sometimes you need to resist those urges to keep the police, and possibly divorce courts, out of the way.
Reply 91

To me, it seems ludicrous to choose a life of celibacy just so you can focus on work/study/family. Having sex once every so often, isn't going to take up so much of your time that you don't have time to work or study :lol: but that's what you're suggesting. :confused:

It's like saying, oh to get more work and studying done, I'm going to give up chocolate. Then obviously I'll have more time to study if I'm not eating chocolate. :rolleyes:.

not at all. sex isnt as simple as going out and buying chocolate. most of those people above would want it in the context of a relationship only, and think the relationship and relationship maintenece would take up too mcuh time. your partner beceomes your priority and everythign else fita around them. in teh Bible it says the single persons priority is God and Gods works but the married persons priority is family.

Resisting and suppressing sexual desires is unhealthy and harmful, if anything that is going to affect work and studying more.
do you have anything to back this up? i am celibate and fine, and 25 yrs old, so are many of my myuslim friends. surely you could ask the girl who has been pumped and dumped by a playah if it affects her study and concentration. or the girl who has an abortion or STD if it is harmful physically or emotionally. this doresnt apply in all cases but it is a risk you take.
Reply 92
Original post by shinytoy
not at all. sex isnt as simple as going out and buying chocolate. most of those people above would want it in the context of a relationship only, and think the relationship and relationship maintenece would take up too mcuh time. your partner beceomes your priority and everythign else fita around them.

Then it has nothing to do with sex, the person just doesn't have time for a relationship. But that's not even true, a lot of people who choose celibacy still seem to have time for "relationships", so that theory goes out the window, again.

in teh Bible it says the single persons priority is God and Gods works but the married persons priority is family.
Why are you quoting the Bible? Is that somehow supposed to give credibility to your answer?

do you have anything to back this up? i am celibate and fine, and 25 yrs old, so are many of my myuslim friends. surely you could ask the girl who has been pumped and dumped by a playah if it affects her study and concentration. or the girl who has an abortion or STD if it is harmful physically or emotionally. this doresnt apply in all cases but it is a risk you take.

You are not celibate because it "might affect work and study", you are celibate because your religion tells you to be, until marriage anyway. That, at least, is a semi-logical reason.
I propose a social networking site for all these lonely virgins. Then maybe instead of whining about their status on other sites, they could all gather together and have orgies. "Ugly face book".
btw, this is an egregious oversimplification

But you are still missing out on a big aspect of life (arguably from a Darwinian/Freudian perspective the only real objective of life - procreation).

That may be true, but you're mistaken to think that having children is the only sort of "procreation" we are capable of. It's one means of many.

Hint:

G.C. Lichtenberg
One is rarely an impulsive innovator after the age of sixty, but one can still be a very fine orderly and inventive thinker. One rarely procreates children at that age, but one is all the more skilled at educating those who have already been procreated, and education is procreation of another kind.
(edited 13 years ago)
>Re: Overdue virgins: what do your parents think of your condition?
>condition

Hahahahaha... HAHAHAHAHA! oh you guys, you can always make me smile. another social anxiety disorder? aspergers mark two? I think i'll christen this bull**** psychological problem:

auto-sexual dissociation disorder

look out for it in the DSM-6 guys!
hmm my parents are happy to keep it this way. I'm only 16 tbf. Whenever I sleep round someone's house my mum is pretty much "STAY AWAY FROM THE BOYS and close your legs hun."
I am only referring to those, obviously those who want to but can't, there's a logical reason.

Okay thanks for clarifying.

It's like saying, oh to get more work and studying done, I'm going to give up chocolate. Then obviously I'll have more time to study if I'm not eating chocolate. :rolleyes:

But it's not that simple... sex is NOT like going out and buying a few chocolates. Many people only want to have sex when in a relationship (anonymous, one-night stand type sex doesn't appeal to everyone), and relationships are highly time-consuming to pursue and maintain.

Besides, you can still masturbate, which consumes very little time overall.

Ask anyone who's sexually frustrated if they can concentrate on studying. Then ask them after they've had sex.

Do you have any genuine proof that it's harmful? Have you ever tried abstaining from sex?

Sexual desire isn't like water building up in a hosepipe- if you don't have sex for a period of time, you'll usually find that your libido falls below typical levels. Similar to how if you stop eating fatty/sugary foods for a period of time you lose your appetite for such temptations.

Most importantly, if people find that voluntary celibacy is negatively affecting their life, then they are welcome to reverse their decision. At the end of the day- why would people deliberately avoid an activity that is so "pleasurable and sociable" as you put it, if there was no real benefit?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 98
Speak to your parents they will help.

My brother was getting nothing aged 21, so my mum popped his cherry for him while my dad watched to give instructions on technique.
Reply 99
Such as what?

How do you know that you don't like sex if you've never had it?

Why not? Infact, why can't you do all that and also enjoy sex? You make it sound like you can only do one or the other, they're not mutually exclusive.

I'm not lacking in anything, I live my life to the full unlike a lot of people.

Such as religious conviction, such as moral conviction that sex should only take place in a committed relationship or marriage.

I'm not talking about not liking sex - I'm talking about not wanting to have sex at this point in my life. I'm sure Australia is a very nice place, but I don't want to go right now - that doesn't mean I don't think I'll like it.

No, you are acting as if sex is the be-all and end-all, that you can't have a happy life without sex. If you had to choose between being sexually active with no family, a crap job, no hobbies or interests, or being celibate with a great family and friends, career and pastimes, which option would you go for? The second, obviously - because there's a million other things in life that are worth so much more. They're not mutually exclusive, but a hypothetical situation like that shows that you can be happy without sex so long as you have family, friends etc - but it doesn't work the other way around. Sex is a pleasant addition, it can't be an integral factor in one's happiness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending