The Student Room Group

What can I do to get into graduate entry medicine?

I'm in my last year of school. Predicted AAB, in English Language, Biology and Chemistry respectively (I am however aiming for an A in Chemistry). Last year I got an E or a U in maths. I did get an A at GCSE. I've applied to do Biochemistry. I never knew what I wanted to do, just that I enjoyed science and thought if I did biochemistry it would leave alot of doors open to me as well as being something I am interested in. I was always told I wouldn't have the grades or experience to get into medicine and it was too competitve for me so I never really looked to deeply into it. The past few months I've been looking at what I can do afterwards and to be honest the only one that appeals to me is medicine because I cannot see me being satisfied in the long term with a different career. I feel as though medicine will provide me with the most satisfaction and feeling of achievment and also that this feeling will last. I haven't worked that hard at A level and I'm a bit dissapointed as I know I could have done alot better. I literally didnt work for maths and only revised the morning before the exam which I regret so so much.

Of course this is just how I feel now and I realise once I get into university there is a possibility I might change although I doubt it. Things like business and law don't appeal to me and research seems like it would be ok for a while but I don't know if I could last a career in just doing research.

My only option to get into medicine now because of the situation I'm in is by doing this biochemistry degree (which I'm very interested in) and then applying for graduate entry medicine or perhaps a 5 year course. Graduate entry medicine is my ideal route because of cost and time. I know that GEM is very competitive though. I want to maximise my chances of getting in.

So I have about 2 1/2 years before I would apply and I want to know what I can do to maximise the chances of getting an interview. I have learnt that the interview is very very important stage.

- I figured I'd need to get a 1st in my biochemistry.
- I'd need to get work experience however how much of this is needed? Is charity work also acceptable? What are the things that will impress them, will it be a variety of work experience?
- Do I need to do anything about my maths grade? It isn't going to be certificated so I'll only have 3 A levels and no AS.
- Is there any preperation for GAMSAT and UKCAT. Is this something I should be working on every now and then throught my university? Should I take a UKCAT test a year before just to see if I'd be able to get a decent score, I know it won't count as it only lasts for a year.
- Is there anything else I can do to try and maximise my chances
- Any ways to prepare for interviews
- If a failed the first time would it be worth doing a MSc that year and then reapplying? Would an MSc increase my chances.

Am I right in thinking that even if you have all of the stuff on paper if you dont impress at interview or dont stand out you probably wont get in? Looking at statistics significantly more people in GEM courses have 2:1s as opposed to 1sts. What is the reason for this?

thank you for any help or any links to help
(edited 13 years ago)
Heya,

First off for the love of god can people stop posting millions of threads like this! We have a mega-thread for a reason! :tongue:

Anyway:

First off, how do you know that Medicine is the right choice for you? I'm assuming you haven't done any volunteering. If you haven't do some! It won't let you know what it's really like to be a doctor, but will give you some idea of hospital life.

"Graduate entry medicine is my ideal route because of cost"

Well it's not ideal at all as you'll have to pay your fees up front with no tuition loan possible. As it stands that'll be £9,000 for a 4 year and £36,000 for a 5 year, however this hasn't been decided but rest assured it will no be any less than £9,000 up front for a 4 year.

In relation to time, it'll take you a minimum of 8 years to go from where you are to graduating from medical school, a longer than a foundation place/resits and re-applying.

As for volunteering, it's far more important than for school leavers. Some schools require a minimum of a years paid work in a hospital and most ask for a minimum of 6 months with a preference on hospitals, but hospices and care homes are fine too as places are competitive.

It's all about how you reflect on them, if you can't relate why your voluntary experience has helped you understand the wider role of medicine/care/health policy in the wider community you may look like you're just trying to please them.

You can get in with a 2:1, but remember getting such as grade is not easy at all! Especially in a degree you don't really want to do.

As for your grades, for schools like St. Georges it won't matter, but for UCL it will and AFAIK they won't take you with that, but like I say there are several that won't reject you because of it. A MSc would only increase your chance if you have a bad degree mark and only then to make up for it. So no, it won't give you an advantage.

Yes you're right, for some schools the interview is given more weight than other components (some won't even read your PS!)

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to drop a post into this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1021440&page=225 it's where most of the GEM applicants and students post, we're a friendly bunch!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
sorry i didnt see that, thanks anyways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending