Turn on thread page Beta

I'm just...generally confused about life right now. watch

ReputationRep:
    This is yet another I just need some advice on a particular situation thread.
    So, I'm year 2 of Uni, in the city of my dreams, living a good life. And that's kind of about to go to ****.

A few sidenote: I do have a history of mental instability, nothing bad enough to get me in a hospital or anything, just enough to mess with a few years of my life with constant anxiety, depression,panic attacks and a few other things. (for the record, my mom somehow just didn't notice and thinks she has a normal kid).
    In this town, however, I did find the peace of mind that I lacked. Which is a wonderful thing, and why I'd like to solve this rut so this peace of mind could continue.

I'm failing Uni. I know i still have a few more months vefore the end of the year, but I genuinely don't see myself getting back up after a semester of doing nothing. It was part lazyness, part getting sick of it and part the tense atmosphere in class is triggering my agoraphobia in a very, very, bad manner. I'm studying Japanese, so it's not really something I can just study for before the exam and be okay with it, and the teacher favour attendance over actual knowledge(and like to have a 50% passing rate at most.)
    I don't really mind, tbh. Uni is just not what I expected it to be. My two main troubles are my mom and the fact that I just don't know what else to take. Let's start with the easier one;
    I don't have any particular skills. I'm generally well-read, know a lot about many things, but I'm not GOOD at anything in particular and nothing I seem to like is a good career movement, and the rest are just...meh. Stuff I'm not interested in the least. Or that involve subjects I don't know anything about (queue anything science or math related). I did work in journalism before and was rather good at it, but the journalism section of my Uni is **** and the only other town that has an alternative is the hometown i strived to move out of. Jobs are ridiculously hard to find around here, even ****ty ones like cashiers and telemarketers prefer people that have already graduated. Basically, I'm stuck in a big, big, rut.

Then comes the issue of my mother. My mother is one of them single moms whose husband was an ******* and left her to raise the kids on her own, who has worked non-stop for the past 20 years so me and my sister could have a good life. My sister did what was expected of her, graduated a good college and got a good job. I'm...just not able to follow through with her plans. She thinks education is the most important aspect and at one point told me that she's only staying alive so she can see me finish grad school. Read: IMMENSE. PRESSURE. She just doesn't understand me not doing good in school, and she's blissfully unaware of me, so I can't go on and explain my agoraphobia to her or how I have panic attacks before exams and fail them. She's the one that made me randomly choose something to graduate in because "taking a year off to realise what you want to do is a waste of education", then throws"YOU CHOSE THIS NOW GO STUDY FOR IT" in my face if I even hint at the possibility of not passing an exam. I genuinely don't know what to do about her. How can I tell her something like this?

So, yes, this is desperate. But I do need some advice on the topic. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Complaining without doing anything doesn't solve any problem. You already said that you were lazy and feeling sick of your studies. Well that doesn't help you to build up a carrier, or?
    Life is a race, you have to run if you want to be in the forefront, otherwise you will find yourself very tardy.
    Regarding the issue with your mother, this is problem from the past and you can't change it. You would be more helpful to her if you were doing fine with your life, which is not the case right now. See, everything is in your hands, you just need to have the will to do something about it, in other words to motivate yourself and the most important, BE ACTIVE :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You can turn your grades around. The human will can do amazing things. Take Marty McFly's dad's advice: Put your mind to it, you can achieve anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaracottaPie)
    You can turn your grades around. The human will can do amazing things. Take Marty McFly's dad's advice: Put your mind to it, you can achieve anything.
    I don't mean to cause offence, but why are you opening up many 3 month old threads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I don't mean to cause offence, but why are you opening up many 3 month old threads?
    1) Because I'm thinking about my agoraphobia and hoping to see if there's anyone in my shoes.
    2) What's wrong with opening up 3-month threads? Especially if the answers that have been given aren't necessarily helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaracottaPie)
    1) Because I'm thinking about my agoraphobia and hoping to see if there's anyone in my shoes.
    2) What's wrong with opening up 3-month threads? Especially if the answers that have been given aren't necessarily helpful.
    There's nothing wrong with it, I was just genuinely curious after opening up a few threads and seeing they were all old, and you had been the person to open them all up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    There's nothing wrong with it, I was just genuinely curious after opening up a few threads and seeing they were all old, and you had been the person to open them all up.
    Sorry about that :\ I forgot to look at the thread date before I replied.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2011
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.