Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Discuss
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
He seemed (unsurprisingly) relieved.
Since he already knows the outcome of the Hutton Inquiry, I would think that he is off the hook.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
He seemed (unsurprisingly) relieved.
Since he already knows the outcome of the Hutton Inquiry, I would think that he is off the hook.
i live with my mum, and she is on benefit, therefore i get reductions, grants and bursaries and pay way less......?????

this seems quite good from my perspective!

"from 2004, a new grant for living costs of up to £1,000 for family incomes below £21,185 - rising to £1,500 from 2006
universities charging maximum fees will have to fund bursaries of at least £300 for the poorest students.
families earning less than £30,000 would be exempt from up to the first £1,200 of fees - known as "fee remission"

sorry, i am useless with politics, but from my perspective (or my mum's), is this good for me?
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it means that with even all that stuff you will be living on Tesco Value beans and reduced end of the day bread for 3 years
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
i live with my mum, and she is on benefit, therefore i get reductions, grants and bursaries and pay way less......?????

this seems quite good from my perspective!

"from 2004, a new grant for living costs of up to £1,000 for family incomes below £21,185 - rising to £1,500 from 2006
universities charging maximum fees will have to fund bursaries of at least £300 for the poorest students.
families earning less than £30,000 would be exempt from up to the first £1,200 of fees - known as "fee remission"

sorry, i am useless with politics, but from my perspective (or my mum's), is this good for me?
I am in the same situation as you and it isn't good for me!
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Doctors will be charged £18000 to qualify...now if we need more Drs in the UK, then why are we charging this much???
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
I think it means that with even all that stuff you will be living on Tesco Value beans and reduced end of the day bread for 3 years
i have £3000 in my bank account anyway, so i will be fine.....
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tek)
Doctors will be charged £18000 to qualify...now if we need more Drs in the UK, then why are we charging this much???
Because the course costs so much. I'm not necessarily in agreement with this, but this seems to be the thinking.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
What? How?
picju96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's not going to get you very far
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
because the bill contradicts the proposed "aims" by gayboy blair, but as they r the only people who vote then he doesnt really give a toss about what happens - he hasnt thought about it.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because the course costs so much. I'm not necessarily in agreement with this, but this seems to be the thinking.
Yeah, but so what if the course is expensive? Society benefits from Doctors, so society should pay for them to get qualified.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by picju96)
That's not going to get you very far
yes, but my mum earns zero pounds.

and add the £3000 on top........

i shall be fine.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I guess time will see if it works or not. For or it or against it at least the universities can get a little bit extra money now.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Tony Blair paid no tuition fees for his degree!
So why should a doctor now face having to pay upto £64000 to help people?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Yeah, but so what if the course is expensive? Society benefits from Doctors, so society should pay for them to get qualified.
yes, but that would make sense, thats not what the bill is about.

the bill is there to make students angry and to annoy people.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tek)
You could say that about many degrees.
But, in essence, I agree. This country needs to attract more Medical students.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
yes, but my mum earns zero pounds.

and add the £3000 on top........

i shall be fine.
present fees! 1125

new fees 3000

grant 1500
bursary 300
3000 - 1500 - 300 = 1200

You will now have to pay £75 more to goto uni! Even though you dont pay till you graduate.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Maybe. There are intelligent people, but there's also people like bono.

I try not to be nasty but when people say stuff like that it's kinda one-sided, which I do have a problem with.
Who do you support?
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could say that about many degrees.
But, in essence, I agree. This country needs to attract more Medical students.
Fundamentally, we shouldn't pay for education at all. As society becomes more developed, it needs a higher trained workforce, and so the Gvt. should extend the level of core - or free - education to university level.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads