The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1sas09
Hi just looking for some opinions,
applying for Maths Masters course, at durham, bath and liverpool is my backup. (im predicted A*AA for maths, further maths and physics and plan on sitting step) have 2 spaces to fill with either : nottingham, st andrews, york, birmingham. What would you do ? :confused: any advice would be appreciated

I'd definately choose york! Its my home town so i'm going to be biased but.....its a great uni, prestigous, very good for maths, in a good location in a lovely city (and one of my friends mum is a maths lecturer there!!) but yeah you should apply there :smile: Plus i hear nottingham is good for maths...

Good luck :biggrin:
If anyone has killed off most of the Oxford stuff and is looking for more questions then you might want to try these:

Oxford MAT 1992-1995

By the way, some of these questions will be inaccessible if you've only done AS.
Original post by 1sas09

Original post by 1sas09
applying for Maths Masters course, at durham, bath and liverpool is my backup. (im predicted A*AA for maths, further maths and physics and plan on sitting step) have 2 spaces to fill with either : nottingham, st andrews, york, birmingham. What would you do ? :confused: any advice would be appreciated

This might not help, but Warwick would be a good choice, with those predictions and that you plan on taking STEP.
Original post by Xero Xenith
As above. Did you actually get that in a past paper, or are you just asking? :tongue: (Note that MAT papers are much harder than A-level papers. Most people get more like 60%!)

my highest was 92% (marked by my teacher, i only got two multiple choice wrong),i think it was a one off though, apart from that i average around 65-70%
Reply 2004
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
If anyone has killed off most of the Oxford stuff and is looking for more questions then you might want to try these:

Oxford MAT 1992-1995

By the way, some of these questions will be inaccessible if you've only done AS.

Thanks for sharing, should I be worried if I can't do some of these? They seem a lot harder than the recent MAT questions.
what happens if my solutions to questions in the MAT papers are different from the mark schemes.
do i lose marks?

do the papers get scanned? if not, does that mean i can write in pencil?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jilebinator
what happens if my solutions to questions in the MAT papers are different from the mark schemes.
do i lose marks?

do the papers get scanned? if not, does that mean i can write in pencil?

As long as they are correct you will get full marks. The guys marking this do know some maths unlike a-level markers :tongue:
Original post by fGDu
Thanks for sharing, should I be worried if I can't do some of these? They seem a lot harder than the recent MAT questions.

No, you shouldn't be.

I wouldn't say they are much harder but there is a noticeable difference in style. Furthermore, back in those days the majority of applicants to Oxford would have already completed Maths and Further Maths A-Levels, so the test is set accordingly. They know that isn't the case today.
Wow, the MAT looks harder than STEP I imo!
Would just like to say, acknowledgement from Oxford came through today! :biggrin: 5/5 acknowledged (although it means nothing, happy all the same!)
Just wondering if anyone has had any offers from anywhere other than bath?
Original post by emma.ball11

Just wondering if anyone has had any offers from anywhere other than bath?

Nope, nothing from anywhere including Bath here. I hope I hear something from Bath soon.
Original post by 1sas09

Nottingham is (apparently) beautiful and very highly ranked internationally as well as here. St Andrews also seems brilliant, but it's Scottish and I refused to apply there purely on that. If they're so keen to screw over us English people, why should I bother applying? England has some great universities that don't have discrimination built in to the finance system.

Original post by jilebinator
my highest was 92% (marked by my teacher, i only got two multiple choice wrong),i think it was a one off though, apart from that i average around 65-70%

That's extremely impressive if you did it in timed conditions. Actually, it's impressive no matter what, but really quite amazing if it was timed! You should be proud, the MAT is tough :biggrin:

65% or thereabouts should be fine. When I was there I spoke to a girl who said she got in with ~55%, but she said she 'must have had a good interview' (so 55% is low).

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by Edwin Okli
Nope, nothing from anywhere including Bath here. I hope I hear something from Bath soon.

I only found out yesterday I had an offer so i'm sure you'll hear soon :smile:
Reply 2014
I only found out yesterday I had an offer so i'm sure you'll hear soon :smile:

:O What UMS did you get for each module?
Original post by TheMagicMan
It's probably automatically generated, or at the very least a stock e-mail. Still it's nicer than imperial who don't even acknowledge you.

I may be being naive but it didn't seem auto-generated or stock email to me :smile: Just that he said 'Thank you Hassan. Safely received. Please feel free to.....'

Seems it'd be more professional if it was pre-written - or maybe that's all to trick us :wink:
Original post by hassi94
I may be being naive but it didn't seem auto-generated or stock email to me :smile: Just that he said 'Thank you Hassan. Safely received. Please feel free to.....'

Seems it'd be more professional if it was pre-written - or maybe that's all to trick us :wink:

Mine said exactly that =p. Im assuming its a template.
Original post by maths134

Mine also said: "No harm in sending them twice." So perhaps there is an element of emails being checked through before they're sent back? ^_^
Original post by maths134

Aw that's a shame :frown: Sounded so personal hahah!
Original post by beelz
:O What UMS did you get for each module?

Nothing overly good really.

C1 - 100
C2 - 83
S1 - 91
D1 - 85
NM - 84
FP1 - 76 (resitting in January)

Latest