Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    No I've finished my A-levels - I'm on a gap year - and received A*A*BB in Maths, Economics, Further Maths and Physics respectively. (In my AS I got AAAA)
    Ah. They don't want you to get rusty I believe, since you are on a gap year.

Though I don't see how asking for UMS has anything to do with this? maybe they want you to practice certain modules from your further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpc1)
    when did you apply and to which unis?
    applied on the 9th October. Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Durham, St Andrews. All for G100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    Ah. They don't want you to get rusty I believe, since you are on a gap year.

Though I don't see how asking for UMS has anything to do with this? maybe they want you to practice certain modules from your further maths.
    Well I'm resitting FM this year and taking STEP. Maybe I should call and ask. Some of my module marks were ridiculously bad which I've told them already (I feel stupid now...). I'm scared I'll get rejected now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    Well I'm resitting FM this year and taking STEP. Maybe I should call and ask. Some of my module marks were ridiculously bad which I've told them already (I feel stupid now...). I'm scared I'll get rejected now!
    I don't want to instill you with false hope, but I doubt you will be rejected. You already have minimum req

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    No the thing I wrote was for -tan3\theta: look at the denominator.

I did include a negative sign in my calculations.
    -tan3\theta is the correct answer- just consider the sign of the product when theta is small.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_identity#Double-.2C_triple-.2C_and_half-angle_formulae
    Ahh, I love this question and how very perfect the answer is.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial maths applicants

Did all of you get the acknowledgements. Those without acknowledgements for nearly 3 weeks – did any of you get to contact the admissions office on why no acknowledgements even after 3 weeks or so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edwin Okli)
    Ahh, I love this question and how very perfect the answer is.
    It's nice isn't it. Although I would quite like to know if there's some reason why we get that.

ReputationRep:
    So I've got an interview at Manchester - 10th Nov.

I have heard it's a bit of a 'nothing' interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)

Yeah, it's not like Oxbridge interviews if that's what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)

do you know if they interview people who do not live local? i.e. do they expect you to travel, I live in London... and I saw on this forum that one of the questions they might ask (Manchester) is:

differentiate y = |x|

pretty simple tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)

Yeah I've just got a letter about it, does it mean you basically already have a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House Dagoth)
    do you know if they interview people who do not live local? i.e. do they expect you to travel, I live in London... and I saw on this forum that one of the questions they might ask (Manchester) is:

differentiate y = |x|

pretty simple tbh.
    Hmm well I'm not sure; the letter I've been given has details on if you want to rearrange it. I need to read through the info. more thoroughly in order to get a better idea.

By the way:

\dfrac{d}{dx}|x| = \dfrac{x}{|x|}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJ0ker)
    Yeah I've just got a letter about it, does it mean you basically already have a place?
    Honestly, I don't know. But they know you have potential if they've decided to interview you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)
    Hmm well I'm not sure; the letter I've been given has details on if you want to rearrange it. I need to read through the info. more thoroughly in order to get a better idea.

By the way:

\dfrac{d}{dx}|x| = \dfrac{x}{|x|}
    .... for x \neq 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    .... for x \neq 0
    Ok, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)
    Honestly, I don't know. But they know you have potential if they've decided to interview you.
    Sounds good then

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an invitation to a visiting day at UCL? Mine is 18th Nov

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    :cry: No. Haven't got an offer either so that might explain it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Same here, 18th November.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safmaster)
    Same here, 18th November.
    When did you send your application? I haven't got any invitation yet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.