Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    I go to a state comp too... :/
    Why the face? What's wrong with State schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mir3a)
    Why the face? What's wrong with State schools?
    I think for comprehensive schools it is difficult to generalise - you have to look at it in an individual school basis e.g. my school has extremely good GCSEs and good A levels, get quite a lot of people into top unis whereas some other comprehensives in the same borough were at one time really bad.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't trying to suggest that everyone here got good grades because they went to private schools. I knew a lot of the people on this thread probably did go to average state comprehensives. I was just hoping that everyone did go to private schools to make myself feel better about having such average gcse's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anshul95)
    I think for comprehensive schools it is difficult to generalise - you have to look at it in an individual school basis e.g. my school has extremely good GCSEs and good A levels, get quite a lot of people into top unis whereas some other comprehensives in the same borough were at one time really bad.
    Are you by any chance in Ilford County?

ReputationRep:
    Considering joint degree in Maths and Computer Science and I'm a little bit lopsided towards CompSci.

GCSE: 7A*, 5A
    AS Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Politics
    Considering (GG14/similar): Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Edinburgh, Southampton (may change a couple)
    Preparation: Reading maths books, STEP and similar practice questions, leading the college maths team, Maths HE+, Extended Project (probably) on computer algebra systems, implementing RSA encryption on my computer, attending lectures, British Informatics Olympiad Finalist, British Team Reserve for IOI. (I have probably forgotten some stuff)

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it's difficult to compare comps. My school got 20 people into Ox/Cam this year whereas one of the schools down the road was so bad it had to be taken over as an academy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    I wasn't trying to suggest that everyone here got good grades because they went to private schools. I knew a lot of the people on this thread probably did go to average state comprehensives. I was just hoping that everyone did go to private schools to make myself feel better about having such average gcse's.
    no it more matters how well you did compared to others in your school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mir3a)
    Are you by any chance in Ilford County?
    lol no brent. I have been to Ilford to see relatives though. A long time ago. I have also been to see Green Street - apparently my grandma's family friend lives there (I think he owns the Anand pan centres).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    I agree that it's difficult to compare comps. My school got 20 people into Ox/Cam this year whereas one of the schools down the road was so bad it had to be taken over as an academy.
    :eek::eek::eek: 20!!!!!!!!!! My school gets like 2 every 5 years. Both of those people got in in the last two years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    20 people in 1 year? teachers at my school don't even remember the last time someone got into Oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    I've been to two different schools but no-one has ever gone to oxbridge from either but to be fair one is pretty much new and the other one is about 15 years old.

ReputationRep:
    My school gets about 50 in each year. How many people are there in your years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    My school gets about 50 in each year. How many people are there in your years?
    omg what school do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    omg what school do you go to?
    Hills Road.

'In 2006, fifty-two Hills Road students gained places at Oxbridge; this was a larger number than at any other state "school" and represents one in every sixteen students.[6] Hills Road was recently ranked third in a list of the schools with highest levels of Oxbridge entry, after Westminster School and Eton College.'

ReputationRep:
    Hills Road.

'In 2006, fifty-two Hills Road students gained places at Oxbridge; this was a larger number than at any other state "school" and represents one in every sixteen students.[6] Hills Road was recently ranked third in a list of the schools with highest levels of Oxbridge entry, after Westminster School and Eton College.'
    My 6th form is much smaller, nowhere near 800 people in each year.

Around 130 in the first year (and about 90-100 who stick it out to the end of that year) and then around 60 in the second year.

And we literally get 1-3 people in to Oxbridge every year. This year's Year 13 I believe there is only 1 person and she is going to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Yh my schools like yours...in the top 25% in the country i think...
    Then theres other schools in the city that are really bad!

ReputationRep:
    State Comp here since everyone's doing it

ReputationRep:
    Hills Road.

I go to Greenhead College, we have 32 offers this year. Having said that 101 people applied so its not absolutely amazing, just a little better than average.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry I started this now

ReputationRep:
    State comp - we have about one or two people a year going to Oxbridge. Not sure exactly how big the year is. When school was still compulsory, we had ~200, but it's down a bit now.

Some of these figures are crazy! 32 out of 101? :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.