The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Maths challenge today was nice! I reckon a gold, minimum. :colone: I didn't like the fruit questions though, nor the last 2.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

Maths challenge today was nice! I reckon a gold, minimum. :colone: I didn't like the fruit questions though, nor the last 2.

Oh dear, I didn't even read any of the questions on the last page. I feel like a subpar mathematician.
Original post by Edwin Okli
Oh dear, I didn't even read any of the questions on the last page. I feel like a subpar mathematician.

The first thing I did was flip to the last page :wink: They tend to be hard, but some of them are real gifts, particularly if you've seen something like them before!
Original post by like_a_star
yeah i know its after school -_-

Thats rubbish! haha :tongue:

:redface: Well, most people love them. And I'm pretty sure it's a rather important aspect of degree level mathematics. :colondollar: IMHO.
(Hope I didn't offend you by lulling, I just found it funny for the reasons above! :smile: )

Well i find them facinating but when you have to prove something (esp trig) using identities and algebra i just cant do them!! :frown:
No its fine :smile:

I think it went ok (considering im not a maths genius or anything!!)
I answered 11 questions - hopefully all right but im not banking on it!!
What was the fruit question??

I read them, but read being the operative word as i didnt answer any of them....just scanned to see how hard they were!!!
Original post by Beth1234
The first thing I did was flip to the last page :wink: They tend to be hard, but some of them are real gifts, particularly if you've seen something like them before!

I probably can't mention exactly what but I was told there was one similar to a question on an Intermediate Maths Challenge the other year. That annoyed me.

Meh, I did 3 from the last page, and 18 from the first I think. Although I know I got 2 wrong. I hope people found it rather difficult, I really wanted a go at BMO1. :frown:

Original post by BeccaCath94
Well i find them fascinating but when you have to prove something (esp trig) using identities and algebra i just cant do them!! :frown:
No its fine :smile:

Yeah that's true, I thought you meant you didn't find them interesting! :p: Dw, we will get better as we progress! :smile:

I think it went ok (considering im not a maths genius or anything!!)
I answered 11 questions - hopefully all right but im not banking on it!!
What was the fruit question??

I read them, but read being the operative word as i didnt answer any of them....just scanned to see how hard they were!!!

11 correct would get a gold possibly? The 70% 85% 75% 60% one, I found that stupid. -.- With a calculator I could have done it maybe. :p: Two of the back (22 and 23 I think) were really easy, one was trial and error, and the other was just a nice logic question based on some statements.
Reply 2887
Oh god I failed so much on that maths challenge T_T...the policy of only answering questiongs I'm sure are right didn't really work out...I only answered 13!!! Meaning if I get even one wrong...I don't get a gold T_T

And my younger brother answered "22 or 23 of them" apparently...**** this **** -_-
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SParm
Oh god I failed so much on that maths challenge T_T...the policy of only answering questiongs I'm sure are right didn't really work out...I only answered 13!!! Meaning if I get even one wrong...I don't get a gold T_T

And my younger brother answered "22 or 13 of them" apparently...**** this **** -_-

22 or 13? That's a big range LOL. Dw, it always seems to go worse than it really did, besides it's only a maths challenge, not like it is STEP (which we will r%^&). :colone:
Reply 2889
22 or 13? That's a big range LOL. Dw, it always seems to go worse than it really did, besides it's only a maths challenge, not like it is STEP (which we will r%^&). :colone:

I meant 23...silly me :P

I guess it doesn't really matter too much xD...and I found I could do some of the thinking ones this year (not been too keen on those the last couple of years) - bodes well if I get an interview at Cambridge.

The irony is that I'm quite looking forward to STEP...got a whole school year to prepare for that though I guess...I'm sure we'll bag it :P
Reply 2890
offer from nottingham :biggrin:
for G100, A*AB or AAA
I found the Maths challenge to be good fun. Answered 24 of the questions, guessed ~2 or 3 like a pro. I'm not sure how that logic one (the one like the beginning of a question 6 in the MAT paper) was actually in the more difficult section. Fingers crossed for BMO1, eh? :smile:

Do you happen to have a copy? This is the first year since 2006 in which I haven't done the Senior Challenge :colone:
Original post by jameswhughes
Do you happen to have a copy? This is the first year since 2006 in which I haven't done the Senior Challenge :colone:

I do indeed. But I dont know how to scan it :redface: I will give it to a friend who can tommorow! :smile: How were your past attempts?
I do indeed. But I dont know how to scan it :redface: I will give it to a friend who can tommorow! :smile: How were your past attempts?

In that case... could you copy the entire paper out for us? :colone:

(Just joking, I'll kindly wait, and take the opportunity to work on my neglected chemistry work)

Yeah that's true, I thought you meant you didn't find them interesting! :p: Dw, we will get better as we progress! :smile:

Oh no its amazing how some formulae are formed!!! Hopefully....i need to practise them....

11 correct would get a gold possibly? The 70% 85% 75% 60% one, I found that stupid. -.- With a calculator I could have done it maybe. :p: Two of the back (22 and 23 I think) were really easy, one was trial and error, and the other was just a nice logic question based on some statements.

Ohhh that fruite question....i added up the bits minus 100 so 30,15,25,40 which made 90 so the answer was 10 i think......
Reply 2896
Original post by Beth1234
In that case... could you copy the entire paper out for us? :colone:

(Just joking, I'll kindly wait, and take the opportunity to work on my neglected chemistry work)

Don't be silly =O!!! Chemistry is best off negelected...

Ohhh that fruite question....i added up the bits minus 100 so 30,15,25,40 which made 90 so the answer was 10 i think......

I got that as well =D

Not too bad... :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by jameswhughes
Not too bad... :wink:

Spoiler

LOL NICE. Man I have two golds in two attempts to date, I really wanted my final shot to be a BMO1, alas it wasn't to be. :frown:
Anyone wants to share answers for maths challenge feel free to post I need some confidence of going to the next round :smile:

Latest