Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    No, don't be silly

Cambridge quite like Maths Challenge, but it's a different style to uni maths so no worries if you don't do amazingly well. Obviously it can't hurt to get a great score, but I think they put far more weight on the interview and A-levels.

Also remember that 40% of applicants get an offer, so once you take out the people who don't really know what's going on, the chances are probably with you
    thats the best statistic ive heard in a while hehe
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hamina93)
    do you think all Cambridge maths applicants will qualify BMO?
    Tbh I messed up today's one. I answered 21and I thought it was quite easy (last year I got 94). And I expected to achieve 109 today's one when I just finished it, but I made silly mistakes in the first page and shxx I got 89....... I'm. really embarrassed . I hav no hope for BMO now..
    I got in and only got a bronze in the senior challenge (although I seriously messed up STEP :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    thats the best statistic ive heard in a while hehe
    i hope its the same statistics for international students too...

anyway, anyone heard any offer from LSE yet? seemed like its the only uni (other than oxbridge) that havent release offer yet.

i had offers from ICL, UCL, Kings; my classmate had manchester, city college london, warwick all g100 mathematic offers. the only 2 institution left for both of us are LSE and cambridge. LSE surely like to take their own sweet time > : (

ReputationRep:
    Does being bad at maths challenges translate to maths in general? I mean do you think it will hurt my chances of getting into cambridge... hmm
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Does being bad at maths challenges translate to maths in general? I mean do you think it will hurt my chances of getting into cambridge... hmm
    No it doesn't

ReputationRep:
    starting to get a bit on edge with the fact that i have applied to UCL and Imperial and have only been invited to an open day at imperial which seemed to be sent to all applicants!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theharrovian)
    if you really want to sit BMO you can pay to do it.
    Really? Where can I find it?
    My school didn't tell me about this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamina93)
    do you think all Cambridge maths applicants will qualify BMO?
    Tbh I messed up today's one. I answered 21and I thought it was quite easy (last year I got 94). And I expected to achieve 109 today's one when I just finished it, but I made silly mistakes in the first page and shxx I got 89....... I'm. really embarrassed . I hav no hope for BMO now..
    1300 people in the country qualify for BMO. That means around 400 in our year. Over a thousand people apply to cambridge every year for maths. Clearly less than half have been to the BMO.

ReputationRep:
    I got my first acknowledgement for Maths today

Application for: MMath, BSc Mathematics (G101)

Many thanks for your application to the School of Mathematics at the University of Leeds.

Your application has been passed to the admissions team for consideration and you will be
    sent details of our decision in due course.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly do the maths challenges test then, if not ones aptitude for mathematics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    What exactly do the maths challenges test then, if not ones aptitude for mathematics?
    Its just your way of thinking. For example, I got 591/600 for A level Maths, I love STEP questions, they are just beautiful haha. But when it comes to Maths challenges, I can either see the answer or not, the more complicated ones with algebra or just logic of some sort I can do very well, but when it comes to geometry I am useless. Last year, I barely scraped a bronze in senior challenge! And now I have offers from 3 unis to do maths, Warwick, Imperial and Bath.

To be frankly honest, I dont have a clue what the challenge tests, but it certainly isnt your capability to do university level mathematics

ReputationRep:
    It won't really affect your university application...I did much better than many people I know on the maths challenges, and they did better on their regular exams and STEP...and got more university offers :rolleyes:

As to whether it translates to being bad at maths in general...

ReputationRep:
    Got my Warwick offer! :woo: :woo: :woo:

Any other Scots heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyone_can_fly)

Very happy for you! Did you get your app sent out long back?

What are the offer conditions and what is the course name?

ReputationRep:
    GOT A UCL OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unconditional!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyone_can_fly)

SAMEE!! YAYY AT LAST! I knew it was cause we are Scottish :L

Do you know what your conditions are? Hasn't given me mine yet...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone has heard back from Cambridge about interviews or LSE for offers ? I got 3/5 offers, these two to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruktas)
    Anyone has heard back from Cambridge about interviews or LSE for offers ? I got 3/5 offers, these two to go!
    Same here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    SAMEE!! YAYY AT LAST! I knew it was cause we are Scottish :L

Do you know what your conditions are? Hasn't given me mine yet...
    Congrats!

Is the offer not updated on track? If you click the course code, then the conditions should come up, right?

Did you get an email from warwick about the offer or is the track updated ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by new123)
    Congrats!

Is the offer not updated on track? If you click the course code, then the conditions should come up, right?

Did you get an email from warwick about the offer or is the track updated ?
    I found them =) I just didn't know where to look.

A1 in AH Maths, A in another subject and 2 in STEP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.