Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    i did indeed have the eccentric greek guy hehe, he was funny =p. I actually prefer Warwick but still cant decide!!! agh.
    Dr Petridis, I think it'll be.

The college I applied to gives a pure and applied interview. What do you think I should expect in the applied? mechanics or stats... hmm im hoping some differential equations or something
    Neither. Expect two pure interviews. I recall sitting on the corner of Sainsbury's/Green Street frantically reading my mechanics text book 30 mins before my first interview last year - went in there - there was nothing of the sort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    Dr Petridis, I think it'll be.
    Extremely juvenile but on reading that name...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    UCL won only watched the end after watching eastenders
    I'm going to conjecture that they won't win the whole competition this year but they certainly did well against Warwick.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Neither. Expect two pure interviews. I recall sitting on the corner of Sainsbury's/Green Street frantically reading my mechanics text book 30 mins before my first interview last year - went in there - there was nothing of the sort.
    PRSOM, I thought I was the only one who got 2 pure interviews :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icefx)
    Sent it like 13th of October, and I'm doing the three year one, u?
    I sent mine of on the 4 of november. I applied for the 3 year course too. What see your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Were you guys asked any questions on vectors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edwin Okli)
    I'm going to conjecture that they won't win the whole competition this year but they certainly did well against Warwick.
    the whole competition thing doesn't interest me.....knowledge and intelligence are two different things in my book

funny UCL just emailed me whilst typing this reply for an open day on the 7th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1992)
    Thanx, I am sure you'll hear from them soon dw
    Hope so! Just out of curiosity are you an international student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    Hopefully not!
    Where else have you applied?
    Oxford, not convinced I did enough to get an interview
    And then York, Durham, Bath and of course Lancaster!

How about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miller693)
    Oxford, not convinced I did enough to get an interview
    And then York, Durham, Bath and of course Lancaster!

How about yourself?
    Ooh very nice Good luck! I hope you get an interview!

I've applied to sheffield, leeds, lancaster, liverpool and heriot-watt in edinburgh.....but i arent doing just maths as some i've applied for joint hons with german and others a study abroad option so.....

I live in York actually and have done all my life so if you've got any questions about it.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Hope so! Just out of curiosity are you an international student?
    Yeah, I am

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I am
    Oh ok. That would probably explain why you have already gotten an offer from St Andrews too, if I'm not mistaken? Congrats though. Wish I had offers from both those universities... just have to wait and see I guess.

P.s. Literally just got an offer from Bath! :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Oh ok. That would probably explain why you have already gotten an offer from St Andrews too, if I'm not mistaken? Congrats though. Wish I had offers from both those universities... just have to wait and see I guess.

P.s. Literally just got an offer from Bath! :O
    Haha congrats on your offer! Well done!

ReputationRep:
    Haha congrats on your offer! Well done!
    Thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Warwick yay!

ReputationRep:
    4 out of 5 offers
    Just waiting for UCL now, my first choice
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by safmaster)
    Were you guys asked any questions on vectors?
    At my interview, I didn't. However, I know someone who applied to johns and had one on vectors though

ReputationRep:
    Ok so im sketching graphs and such and then come across this:

x^y=y^x
    What does this look like as a graph? Ive tried and have no idea what it would look like... Thanks =]
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ok so im sketching graphs and such and then come across this:

x^y=y^x
    What does this look like as a graph? Ive tried and have no idea what it would look like... Thanks =]
    Look at each case, what happens at x=0/y=0? Are there any turning points? Have you considered putting it into ln form? Large values/small values?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Look at each case, what happens at x=0/y=0? Are there any turning points? Have you considered putting it into ln form? Large values/small values?
    Well when I said I'd tried, the first thing I did was 'ln' both sides. Then looked at letting y=0. The only way to make that work is to have x=0 also so thats where it crosses the axis. Next i suppose x=y for every number so it increases linearly. As we increase x, we also increase y.I then differentiated but got lost at the end...
    xlny=ylnx
    lny+y'x/y = y'lnx + y/x
    y'x/y - y'lnx = y/x - lny
    y' (x/y - lnx) = y/x - lny
    y' = (y/x - lny) / (x/y - lnx)
    let y'=0 we end up with y/x=lny ... at this point im lost (ill be honest)

That was my thought process anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.