Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miller693)
    Ooh wow, the year in Europe courses do sound kind of exciting at any rate. Well done on your offers, and good luck for Oxford; I think we're both going to need it! Let me know when you find out either way.
    Hey, i got an interview today, just thought i'd let you know since you asked

ReputationRep:
    Finally got the email off Durham asking for UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Got an interview for Worcester, oxford
    See you there

ReputationRep:
    Being the maths geek that I am (and we all are), what is the best calculator I could ask 'santa' to get me?
    I have a scientific one but i've had it ever since year 7 and its fine for gcse maths and at a push AS but for A2 and uni I'd prefer one a bit more scientific! I've heard casios are good and do surds and stuff....

What has anyone got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    Being the maths geek that I am (and we all are), what is the best calculator I could ask 'santa' to get me?
    I have a scientific one but i've had it ever since year 7 and its fine for gcse maths and at a push AS but for A2 and uni I'd prefer one a bit more scientific! I've heard casios are good and do surds and stuff....

What has anyone got?
    casio fx-991es plus....works a treat

does intregration, differentiation, matrix & complex calculations....saved me 10 raw marks in FP1!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats!

I still haven't heard... really starting to worry now =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Congrats!

I still haven't heard... really starting to worry now =(
    Don't worry ^^

I know several people applying to Trinity who have not yet heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    Don't worry ^^

I know several people applying to Trinity who have not yet heard.
    Oh really? Okay. Maybe they are just late sending out decisions...

ReputationRep:

What has anyone got?
    fx991ES plus is the god of calculators.

It doesn't seem to have a mod function though

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with the comments about the fx991ES. In my opinion the best calculator that's allowed for A-Level, and I guess it works just as well beyond that(?) It's almost funny how much of a time advantage it gives you doing the grungy complex number bits of FP2 for example - where anything can be converted from Cartesian to polar form and vice versa. Also great in S2 for Binomial and Poisson distributions - just stick the formula in, give it some limits and watch it whir away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)

(Original post by officeface)
    Agreed with the comments about the fx991ES. In my opinion the best calculator that's allowed for A-Level, and I guess it works just as well beyond that(?) It's almost funny how much of a time advantage it gives you doing the grungy complex number bits of FP2 for example - where anything can be converted from Cartesian to polar form and vice versa. Also great in S2 for Binomial and Poisson distributions - just stick the formula in, give it some limits and watch it whir away!
    Really? I have the fx9760G II and it's pretty awesome too! I have pacman and snake on it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    casio fx-991es plus....works a treat

does intregration, differentiation, matrix & complex calculations....saved me 10 raw marks in FP1!
    Ooh wow! Can you use it in the exam??

This one keeps cropping up...thank you

(Original post by officeface)
    So its allowed in the exam to type all the stuff in?? I would've thought it wasnt....dont you need to show working? :/ It sounds good though!

(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Really? I have the fx9760G II and it's pretty awesome too! I have pacman and snake on it too.
    Ooh fancy!! Hahah i dont think i need one that plays games!!!

There seems to be a clear winner here....thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh fancy!! Hahah i dont think i need one that plays games!!!

There seems to be a clear winner here....thanks guys!
    Haha, it's pretty awesome, best game I've seen on it is Pokemon, but I don't want to risk slowing it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3pmRQREPsk

Check it out!

EDIT: Of course it's very good for maths too obviously. Pretty good with graphs, finding maximums minimums intercepts etc. Simultaneous Equations and Polynomials to six degrees. Conics, it pretty much did all my work for S1, so much to the point where I don't know how to use a distribution table. *_* So in some ways, it does more good than bad, one of the mains reasons I've refused to sit anymore stats while I'm at college lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Haha, it's pretty awesome, best game I've seen on it is Pokemon, but I don't want to risk slowing it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3pmRQREPsk

Check it out!
    Nice!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fGDu)
    See you there
    Wow, that makes at least 5 on TSR for Worcester maths. What are you guys gonna wear? Dunno whether to wear a suit or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    Wow, that makes at least 5 on TSR for Worcester maths. What are you guys gonna wear? Dunno whether to wear a suit or not
    I don't think I'm going to suit up, probably just a shirt and trousers. You'll be able to recognise me, I'll be the only person without a suit lol. It is odd that there is so many of us that have interviews at Worcester, I mean they admit about 10 people each year, so presumably around 30 people have interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmusicx)
    Hey, i got an interview today, just thought i'd let you know since you asked
    Guess what? Me too!! Was that for Worcester? Mine's for New. Maybe we'll see each other knocking around!

It does doesn't it? Have you tried the Abs button. I think it's on a shift function. But I'm pretty sure it is there. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh very nice Good luck! I hope you get an interview!

I've applied to sheffield, leeds, lancaster, liverpool and heriot-watt in edinburgh.....but i arent doing just maths as some i've applied for joint hons with german and others a study abroad option so.....

I live in York actually and have done all my life so if you've got any questions about it.....
    Well I got the interview!! Very exciting stuff! nice choices, in sure you can get offers from all of them! And the german thing sounds exciting, if not really difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miller693)
    Guess what? Me too!! Was that for Worcester? Mine's for New. Maybe we'll see each other knocking around!

It does doesn't it? Have you tried the Abs button. I think it's on a shift function. But I'm pretty sure it is there. :confused:
    I've found it thank you

Never been able to until now

ReputationRep:
    has anyone received anything from york? havent heard from them. sent off my app on 21st oct applying for econ n math.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.