The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3680
Hi I have applied to University of Surrey for Bsc Mathematics and have received an interview for wednesday.. It says it's an informal interview and I get to speak to staff and students and get a tour.. I'm not quite sure on the dress code.. Thinking to wear a suit but will that be over the top and what if most people come casual.. Also what kind of questions might they ask me.. Really stuck.. :confused:
Also how many people have applied to city university for mathematics related courses?
Original post by ben-smith
Plus, cam interview is starting to get to me... why am I so bad at maths:mob:!

I would tell you to relax but I was the same when I had my interview coming up last year so it'd be a little hypocritical. :p:

If it helps, you've probably seen enough maths to not be caught by surprise by almost anything they'll throw at you.
Would you say Mathematics is a competitive University course? (compared to things like Economics and Medicine)
Thank you.
Original post by mpc1
Any idea when (which dates) interviews start in Trinity? Is it for a week? Do they have it during week ends also (tomorrow and day after also)?

starts 5th ends 12th
Has anyone been for an interview for MORSE at Warwick? If so, was it a serious interview or just a chat?

Has any one had a rejection after having an interview for MORSE?

Has anyone had a rejection without having an interview?
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got a letter from Oxford. Unsuccessful. Oh well. I'm guessing I did pretty bad in the MAT, just hoping it wasn't any other part of my application. Good luck to all you guys who did get interviews.
"Dear Dennis

We are writing to let you know that we are still considering your application. .............."

Cheers Bristol.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Would you say Mathematics is a competitive University course? (compared to things like Economics and Medicine)
Thank you.

Depends which university. The top courses are very competitive, especially since most applicants have very goods grades. Overall its probably not as competitive as medicine or economics, but for the higher universities it is.
Original post by laughylolly
Just got a letter from Oxford. Unsuccessful. Oh well. I'm guessing I did pretty bad in the MAT, just hoping it wasn't any other part of my application. Good luck to all you guys who did get interviews.

Unlucky :frown: If it helps, loads of people at my school have been rejected from Oxford for other subjects - they just seem really harsh with cutting down people before interview. They're interviewing less than 30% of the medicine applicants this year!
Original post by OmnipotentOmelette
Depends which university. The top courses are very competitive, especially since most applicants have very goods grades. Overall its probably not as competitive as medicine or economics, but for the higher universities it is.

Would you say st Andrews is competitive?

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your other choices :h:
GCSE's: 1A* 2A 8B 2C

AS Level: AACD (Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics)

A Level predictions: AAA

Applying for:

University of Birmingham (awaiting offer)
Aston University (awaiting offer)
University of Leeds (conditional)
University of Reading (conditional)
University of Liverpool (conditional)
Original post by derangedyoshi
Unlucky :frown: If it helps, loads of people at my school have been rejected from Oxford for other subjects - they just seem really harsh with cutting down people before interview. They're interviewing less than 30% of the medicine applicants this year!

Quite a lot of people have been rejected from my school too. Except nearly all the Cambridge applicants have got interviews (but they interview nearly everyone don't they?).

Original post by dnumberwang
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your other choices :h:

It's kay =) I know it's cause I didn't try hard enough but I wasn't overly fussed to be honest. I'm just happy I have two offers so far. Just two more to hear from!

Which would you rather go to, Imperial or UCL?
"Dear Dennis

We are writing to let you know that we are still considering your application. .............."

Cheers Bristol.

Yeah I got that this morning. Bit of an anti-climax...
Original post by lifesabeach
Which would you rather go to, Imperial or UCL?

No idea. I liked UCL when I visited, haven't been to Imperial yet though. Yeah, if I don't get into Oxford I'd have to decide which one of those to firm
could anyone recommend a graphic calculator please.
Reply 3697
Original post by jilebinator

Original post by jilebinator
could anyone recommend a graphic calculator please.

I've got the ti-84 plus .. Your allowed to take them into AS and A2 exams that allow calculators..
Easy to use once you get the hang of it.. The user manual helps a lot!
Quite a lot of people have been rejected from my school too. Except nearly all the Cambridge applicants have got interviews (but they interview nearly everyone don't they?).

Yeah - only 4 people from my school applied to Cambridge (there's a weird historical bias towards Oxford, in the sixties I think 10 consecutive successful Oxbridge applications were for University College Oxford... :s-smilie:) and all 4 of us got interviews... but I think Cambridge do interview 90% of people or thereabouts. Apart from the BMAT/UKCAT none of the 4 of us have sat any tests yet so they wouldn't have as much to go on if they wanted to make lots of pre-interview decisions.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Would you say st Andrews is competitive?

Probably, since its a good uni. There might be some application stats on the internet showing number of applicant per place. Its about 10 per place on average including other courses.

Do you want to know because you are choosing a course or choosing where to apply (or both)?

Latest