Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Quite a lot of people have been rejected from my school too. Except nearly all the Cambridge applicants have got interviews (but they interview nearly everyone don't they?).
    Yeah - only 4 people from my school applied to Cambridge (there's a weird historical bias towards Oxford, in the sixties I think 10 consecutive successful Oxbridge applications were for University College Oxford... ) and all 4 of us got interviews... but I think Cambridge do interview 90% of people or thereabouts. Apart from the BMAT/UKCAT none of the 4 of us have sat any tests yet so they wouldn't have as much to go on if they wanted to make lots of pre-interview decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Would you say st Andrews is competitive?
    Probably, since its a good uni. There might be some application stats on the internet showing number of applicant per place. Its about 10 per place on average including other courses.

Do you want to know because you are choosing a course or choosing where to apply (or both)?

(Original post by OmnipotentOmelette)
    Probably, since its a good uni. There might be some application stats on the internet showing number of applicant per place. Its about 10 per place on average including other courses.

Do you want to know because you are choosing a course or choosing where to apply (or both)?
    I want to do both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankush92)
    Hi I have applied to University of Surrey for Bsc Mathematics and have received an interview for wednesday.. It says it's an informal interview and I get to speak to staff and students and get a tour.. I'm not quite sure on the dress code.. Thinking to wear a suit but will that be over the top and what if most people come casual.. Also what kind of questions might they ask me.. Really stuck.. :confused:
    Also how many people have applied to city university for mathematics related courses?
    Don't wear a suit. I would recommend wearing a casual shirt (but not a t-shirt) with some suit/smart trousers.
    They likely won't ask any hard maths questions, more like why you chose maths, or why surrey. Also, stuff on your personal statement may come up. Be prepared for any simple maths questions eg. proof of sinsquaredx + coxsquaredx = 1. (All shown in most textbooks)

When did you send your application off/where else have you applied? I applied to surrey too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huzaifa123)
    Don't wear a suit. I would recommend wearing a casual shirt (but not a t-shirt) with some suit/smart trousers.
    They likely won't ask any hard maths questions, more like why you chose maths, or why surrey. Also, stuff on your personal statement may come up. Be prepared for any simple maths questions eg. proof of sinsquaredx + coxsquaredx = 1. (All shown in most textbooks)

When did you send your application off/where else have you applied? I applied to surrey too
    Thankss but what if say everybody there wears a suit? But I'll probably wear just smart trousers and a shirt..
    I've applied to
    city university - mathematics and finance - conditional
    University of reading - mathematics and economics - conditional
    Royal holloway - mathematics -interview in feb 2012
    University of Surrey - mathematics - interview
    University of Sussex - mathematics - no reply yet
    And sent my application off on nov 11th
    How about you??

ReputationRep:
    Have to go to Cambridge for an interview today and I'm still hungover! Not good.

EDIT My bad I'm going Cambridge today but don't have the interview till tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJ0ker)
    Have to go to Cambridge for an interview today and I'm still hungover! Not good.
    your interview is today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    your interview is today?
    No tomorrow morning but I gotta do the exam today.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I don't think there is a page like this so I made one!

Mathematics Applicants 2012 stalking page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ankush92)
    Thankss but what if say everybody there wears a suit? But I'll probably wear just smart trousers and a shirt..
    I've applied to
    city university - mathematics and finance - conditional
    University of reading - mathematics and economics - conditional
    Royal holloway - mathematics -interview in feb 2012
    University of Surrey - mathematics - interview
    University of Sussex - mathematics - no reply yet
    And sent my application off on nov 11th
    How about you??
    Trust me, they won't all be wearing suits! Even the lecturers only wear a shirt with no tie.
    Send on October the 27th
    Applied to:
    Warwick - Maths/Stats (no reply)
    York -Maths/Stats (Conditional)
    Surrey - Maths/Stats (no reply)
    Leeds - Maths/Stats (Conditional)
    Birmingham - Maths (Conditional)

ReputationRep:
    I'm just realizing that 24 hours from now I'll be on the way to the airport for my Cambridge interview... AAAAAHHHHH

ReputationRep:

EDIT My bad I'm going Cambridge today but don't have the interview till tomorrow
    how was it?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever heard of a statistics question being asked at interview? I mean in general, not this year - I hear many people getting Pure and sometimes Mechanics but never heard of a Stats question!

I'm considering putting some effort into revising S2 (normal distribution, hypothesis testing, continuous random variables) but I do have other things to do... not sure if I should

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    Has anyone ever heard of a statistics question being asked at interview? I mean in general, not this year - I hear many people getting Pure and sometimes Mechanics but never heard of a Stats question!

I'm considering putting some effort into revising S2 (normal distribution, hypothesis testing, continuous random variables) but I do have other things to do... not sure if I should
    Stats:no
    Probability: yes

ReputationRep:
    Stats:no
    Probability: yes
    Ah so perms and combs, n-choose-r, all that stuff... I like that stuff thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    Ah so perms and combs, n-choose-r, all that stuff... I like that stuff thanks!
    ^a better man than I^

ReputationRep:
    No tomorrow morning but I gotta do the exam today.
    which college? If churchill, i was there.

ReputationRep:
    how was it?

(Original post by desijut)
    which college? If churchill, i was there.
    It went alright, not sure if I've done enough to get a place though1

And yeah it was at churchill how did find the exam/Interview?

ReputationRep:

And yeah it was at churchill how did find the exam/Interview?
    Test was ok, but interview I thought was too short and thought I got too much help in doing the questions, although i did answer them all. btw, did you stay the night there?

ReputationRep:
    ^a better man than I^
    Pfft. You're probably saying you find STEP II / III questions on them difficult. I'm just saying I like the concepts

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.