Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Only 200 and something people in Scotland take AH Applied Maths. Out of which I think >50 take AH Stats. Not a very popular course. Only three people in my school do it! Quite a lot more people take mechanics.
    Didn't realise it was quite that low a number! Although I suppose people look horrified enough when I tell them I'm doing AH maths, never mind doing applied maths as well :P

(Original post by multiplexing-gamer)
    Can any of you keen Maths people recommend some good Maths books for me to read?
    Im getting Fermat's last theoreom. I dont want it too complex however. Thank you
    Fermat's Last Theorem is great, it's such a compelling story. I've been revising it because I put it on my personal statement :P some others: Taming the Infinite; A Very Short Introduction to Mathematics; Finding Moonshine; etc.

ReputationRep:
    Can any of you keen Maths people recommend some good Maths books for me to read?
    Im getting Fermat's last theoreom. I dont want it too complex however. Thank you
    If you like the style of Simon Singh then anything by Marcus Du Sautoy is good. If you want something a bit more "mathsy" but not too difficult have a look at Martin Liebeck's "A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics". Currently part way through and it's pretty damn good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    Big up to ma don rahul.s who is at his trinity interview right now! Zoop zoop!

haters giving negs cool. RIP
    looooooooooooooooooooool

ReputationRep:
    anyone had their interview at downing? test - stupid. first interview - nice. second itnerview - stupid. I honeslt y dont know. it was quite enjoyable at points, but other bits just made me nearly cry. the waiting room for the period between the test (9.00) and my first interview (4.00) was a fun place.... Purgatory describes it quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    looooooooooooooooooooool
    Respect.

Good luck man, just make sure you don't forget your bars like sox .

ReputationRep:
    This one is pretty complex, well I found it quiet demanding. 'The Divine Proportion: A study in mathematical beauty' by H.E. Huntley. The intro is pretty deep. I think it's a very good book for someone who is thinking of reading Maths and/with Philosophy. I found it pretty good but it's hard to take in more than like 5 pages at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Respect.

Good luck man, just make sure you don't forget your bars like sox .
    had the interview yday.....cambridge dont care whether if your moving food on road or sitting at home revising full on.....they just want an insight in the way you think :cool: thats how it should be....

I did drop a sox bar :"I dont see no real in you (u)"

wbu?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone yet to have an interview? What's everyone doing to prepare? All I've done to prepare is run through a few STEP papers but I haven't had a mock interview or anything :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Anyone yet to have an interview? What's everyone doing to prepare? All I've done to prepare is run through a few STEP papers but I haven't had a mock interview or anything :/
    I think I'm the only Maths applicant at my school to not have had their interview yet so I'm getting ever more nervous. I had a short mock interview and I've looked at some questions. But yes, oh so anxious.

ReputationRep:
    had the interview yday.....cambridge dont care whether if your moving food on road or sitting at home revising full on.....they just want an insight in the way you think :cool: thats how it should be....

wbu?
    Did you find the questions hard? My interview is on Thursday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    Did you find the questions hard? My interview is on Thursday...
    yh...they had to be hard.....my advice is that listen carefully to their prompts and advance in the question and speak about the problem :eek: dw if you dont get a solution....just make sure w.e. your doing....its clear to you and the interviewers. most importantly....HAVE FUN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edwin Okli)
    I think I'm the only Maths applicant at my school to not have had their interview yet so I'm getting ever more nervous. I had a short mock interview and I've looked at some questions. But yes, oh so anxious.
    Likewise, I haven't had a mock interview nor am I going to have one haha! I'm ridiculously anxious! I guess you're staying at Emmanuel the night before? And Friday is creeping up far too soon, I feel far too underprepared

ReputationRep:

wbu?
    HI!
    Was your interview in the morning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ykyy)
    HI!
    Was your interview in the morning?
    hi! nh at 6pm.....like it during nocturnal hours

ReputationRep:
    looooooooooooooooooooool
    How was the Trinity cambs interview?

beasted it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    How was the Trinity cambs interview?

beasted it?
    found it good cambridge is more ghetto than most people on TSR think I quote from them when I say the "interview went very well" tbh w.e. the outcome I'm happy the experiance

wbu g? heard you moved from moving bags on road to suitcases :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    found it good cambridge is more ghetto than most people on TSR think I quote from them when I say the "interview went very well" tbh w.e. the outcome I'm happy the experiance

wbu g? heard you moved from moving bags on road to suitcases :laugh:
    Well done, now that pesky STEP II/III hahaha
    Yeah, nothing yet, will probably hear back from January 15th onwards tbh.

And yes I'm moving up in the world g, whilst you're piledriving the concrete getting no where

JHEEEZE

ReputationRep:
    Well done, now that pesky STEP II/III hahaha
    Yeah, nothing yet, will probably hear back from January 15th onwards tbh.

And yes I'm moving up in the world g, whilst you're piledriving the concrete getting no where

JHEEEZE
    sik......replace the concrete with your girl :sexface: I remember during the summer holidays how you and your boiz on TSR were over using this >>> :sexface:.

i will start step in jan....no point starting it without an offer

ReputationRep:
    sik......replace the concrete with your girl :sexface: I remember during the summer holidays how you and your boiz on TSR were over using this >>> :sexface:.

i will start step in jan....no point starting it without an offer
    :sexface: - it's the results day official emoticon.

You've also got a Warwick offer which includes STEP, start now.

ReputationRep:
    :sexface: - it's the results day official emoticon.

You've also got a Warwick offer which includes STEP, start now.
    ive started step I....so yh I will finish off step I stuff this month then

I need to see you in person kmt come UCL 2moz? got some open day thing to go to

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.