The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4140
Original post by BeccaCath94
Well done!
I really want an offer from leeds but so far only have an acknowledgement.....i've got 3 offers and an invite to a visit day with an offer after :smile:

Original post by s4shu101
Yep:smile: I've got a conditional offer from Leeds so far :biggrin:

Are either of you having leeds as your first or second choice? i hope to have it as my firm if i get an offer and then hopefully get access to leeds, then my june exams will be slightly less stressfull..
Reply 4141
Not specifically but I might look into doing modules in it whilst at uni in my maths degree.
Why have you applied to do actuarial science?
My mum works with actuaries :smile:

I've always loved the idea of actuarial work, but the thought of a maths degree just realyl doesn't feel right. I looked into Maths & Stats, but still didn't feel completely sure. I'd have loved Warwicks MORSE but I didn't think I'd stand a chance in getting in, so didn't apply. Sort of wish I did, but I'd never meet the offers (no further maths and I've not got the time to do STEP)

Original post by s4shu101
Yep:smile: I've got a conditional offer from Leeds so far :biggrin:

Well done :smile:

Well done!
I really want an offer from leeds but so far only have an acknowledgement.....i've got 3 offers and an invite to a visit day with an offer after :smile:

Where else have you applied?
Original post by skibur
Are either of you having leeds as your first or second choice? i hope to have it as my firm if i get an offer and then hopefully get access to leeds, then my june exams will be slightly less stressfull..

Well I have 2 favourites which have different plus/bad points - lancaster and leeds. I have an offer from lancaster but not leeds yet. If i do get one that'll have to be my firm as the offer (if as stated when i applied) will be higher, so lancaster will be my insurance...but i really cant decide between the two......

Are you?
Original post by CloClo7
I've always loved the idea of actuarial work, but the thought of a maths degree just realyl doesn't feel right. I looked into Maths & Stats, but still didn't feel completely sure. I'd have loved Warwicks MORSE but I didn't think I'd stand a chance in getting in, so didn't apply. Sort of wish I did, but I'd never meet the offers (no further maths and I've not got the time to do STEP)

Where else have you applied?

Ahhh. Well thats a good idea :smile: If you do go into actuarial work you're exempt from some of the exams you have to take after being qualified so.....
I dont like stats all that much....more pure stuff so i didnt want to have to do stats modules. I like the freedom of maths degrees - you can do almost anything!! Even elective modules in other subjects so...
MORSE does sound good yeah but you needed Further maths a level to get in and i only have an AS which i'm doing this year. Hopefully that'll help me at uni as i'll have previously learnt some of the stuff in a classroom environment rather than 100 other people!!

I've applied to Heriot-Watt (BBB), Liverpool (ABB), Sheffield, Leeds and Lancaster (ABB).....but the only two i really want to go to if i get an offer from leeds, is leeds and lancaster :smile:

What about you?
Ahhh. Well thats a good idea :smile: If you do go into actuarial work you're exempt from some of the exams you have to take after being qualified so.....
I dont like stats all that much....more pure stuff so i didnt want to have to do stats modules. I like the freedom of maths degrees - you can do almost anything!! Even elective modules in other subjects so...
MORSE does sound good yeah but you needed Further maths a level to get in and i only have an AS which i'm doing this year. Hopefully that'll help me at uni as i'll have previously learnt some of the stuff in a classroom environment rather than 100 other people!!

I've applied to Heriot-Watt (BBB), Liverpool (ABB), Sheffield, Leeds and Lancaster (ABB).....but the only two i really want to go to if i get an offer from leeds, is leeds and lancaster :smile:

What about you?

Lancaster gave an ABB offer? *_* Why is this?
Is the University of Lancaster a good University for Mathematics? It looks good in the rankings, however, if you said to someone you were at Lancaster, it wouldn't be as good as saying I go to King's College London, even though it is lower.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4146

What about you?

I love stats...and I've purposely applied for courses with the most exemptions and/or year in industry so I've got experience as well :smile: I loved the look of Leeds but the amount of exemptions were too low for what I felt I wanted :frown:

I applied to Kent, UEA, City, Heriot Watt and Southampton. All offers are back now, ranging from ABB-A*AA. I'm firming Kent, and insuring with UEA :smile:
Reply 4147
When do our letters from Cambridge come (math applicant)
Reply 4148
Original post by Icefx
When do our letters from Cambridge come (math applicant)

Thursday.
Good luck to all the Cambridge lot :smile:
Reply 4150
Why is there no Imperial in Mathematics offers 2012 list? ?
Original post by hamina93

Make one if you want :tongue:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Lancaster gave an ABB offer? *_* Why is this?

Well I applied to German and Maths which isnt a very popular course.... but even if it was just maths the offer was AAB..... Its a well respected uni with low offers to attract people i guess :smile:

Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Is the University of Lancaster a good University for Mathematics? It looks good in the rankings, however, if you said to someone you were at Lancaster, it wouldn't be as good as saying I go to King's College London, even though it is lower.

Yes lancaster is a great uni and definately well respected. I think its a top 10 uni overall :smile:

Original post by CloClo7
I love stats...and I've purposely applied for courses with the most exemptions and/or year in industry so I've got experience as well :smile: I loved the look of Leeds but the amount of exemptions were too low for what I felt I wanted :frown:

I applied to Kent, UEA, City, Heriot Watt and Southampton. All offers are back now, ranging from ABB-A*AA. I'm firming Kent, and insuring with UEA :smile:

Thats a good move for the future :smile: I'm not that keen on stats but its growing on me!! :tongue: Aww :frown: :frown: I really like the course at leeds :smile:

Ooh i applied to heriot-watt and have an offer from there too :biggrin:
Good luck!

I dont think anyone has an offer for pure maths at Imperial yet
Reply 4154
Original post by desijut
I dont think anyone has an offer for pure maths at Imperial yet

That's not true, myself and many others on here hold offers for G103 at Imperial.

I've added it to the list
When is Southampton going to give out offers? Last one i'm waiting for, they're taking forever :'(
Original post by Exp!
That's not true, myself and many others on here hold offers for G103 at Imperial.

Really? That's what im applying for. When did you send you ucas off and when did track update if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by cpdavis
I've added it to the list

Why haven't you updated your blog in 3 months?! :colondollar:
Reply 4159
Well I have 2 favourites which have different plus/bad points - lancaster and leeds. I have an offer from lancaster but not leeds yet. If i do get one that'll have to be my firm as the offer (if as stated when i applied) will be higher, so lancaster will be my insurance...but i really cant decide between the two......

Are you?

Are they both not AAB? i really cant see myself getting that tbh, ABB is more likely so i really am counting on access coming back successful

what was your offer for lancaster? if you dont mind me asking?:smile:

Latest