Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thrug)
    I don't even know what to say to this. Or what emoticon to put after my sentence.
    Unlike you, I did know what to say to him after I found out. My friend and I ganged up on him and we're forcing him to treat us to a buffet. I'm sure it's not a heavy price to pay for him... but to be honest if he had gotten a standard A*AA 11 offer he would have met it quite easily in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theharrovian)
    Unlike you, I did know what to say to him after I found out. My friend and I ganged up on him and we're forcing him to treat us to a buffet. I'm sure it's not a heavy price to pay for him... but to be honest if he had gotten a standard A*AA 11 offer he would have met it quite easily in my opinion.
    Christ's are well known for giving EE offers (even more maths) so I'm not really surprised. There are probably quite a few other examples of this.

ReputationRep:
    Actually... my friend got an unconditional offer from Christ's, he's only in Year 13, and has never sat STEP before. So... I'm afraid your theory is wrong (but I believe Christ's are the only college that would consider giving out unconditionals)
    It wasn't a theory, I was simply wondering! But wow, imagine the joy he must have felt receiving that letter! This must scarcely happen, I've never heard of getting into the Cambridge Maths tripos without sitting STEP!! With the exception of IMO contestants of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    Christ's are well known for giving EE offers (even more maths) so I'm not really surprised. There are probably quite a few other examples of this.
    His offer isn't EE. It's completely unconditional. He doesn't even need to PASS any A-levels...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z0tx)
    It wasn't a theory, I was simply wondering! But wow, imagine the joy he must have felt receiving that letter! This must scarcely happen, I've never heard of getting into the Cambridge Maths tripos without sitting STEP!! With the exception of IMO contestants of course...
    He trolled us and just said he had an offer, we had to press him before he would admit it was unconditional... and you sir, have one nice sig.

ReputationRep:
    He trolled us and just said he had an offer, we had to press him before he would admit it was unconditional... and you sir, have one nice sig.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by like_a_star)
    arghh because of the way my school does maths and further maths i haven't even started c4 yet :eek: dont know how im going to get these step grades
    Self teach.

ReputationRep:
    His offer isn't EE. It's completely unconditional. He doesn't even need to PASS any A-levels...
    It was my understanding that you are legally required to have certain results to attend university (namely a pass in two a levels)

ReputationRep:
    It was my understanding that you are legally required to have certain results to attend university (namely a pass in two a levels)
    I think he mentioned that his friend has completed both maths A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    apparently that isn't the case any more. I was told at the open day and at interview that they have made an effort to give significantly fewer EE offers.

But hey, I'm just jealous because they only gave me a standard offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    apparently that isn't the case any more. I was told at the open day and at interview that they have made an effort to give significantly fewer EE offers.

But hey, I'm just jealous because they only gave me a standard offer.
    at least you have an offer ==

(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    you don't have to think, i can assure you i did mention it =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    That makes more sense then...

ReputationRep:

you don't have to think, i can assure you i did mention it =]
    I obviously didn't read your post carefully enough

Sorry...

ReputationRep:
    I obviously didn't read your post carefully enough

Sorry...
    It's alright, I can just about forgive you. It was a hard decision to make though. I'm still broken inside.

ReputationRep:
    From a few pages ago:

(Original post by maths134)
    I need some help! its basically sorting out STEP stuff. I don't really know where to start. I have done a bit of STEP 1 (well quite a bit) but no STEP 2/3. I have finished C1-4 so can do STEP 2 in theory. Now here is the issue, I have only learnt 3/4 of FP2 and none of FP3, we sit the exams in summer. I mean I imagine I will have to teach myself FP2 ahead right? any ideas.
    There's absolutely no harm in self-teaching some bits and bobs. If you can work a little faster in lessons and get ahead of the class, that would be perfect. But remember STEP questions don't use the whole of the A-level in every question - there are some just on differential equations, some purely on hyperbolic functions, etc. So you can do some STEP III right now! Give it a shot if you have time

(I taught myself FP2 - it can be done Which syllabus are you on? You might be able to skip a lot of FP3 for STEP... it has nothing on groups or the cross product.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    Self teach.
    I guess thats what i will have to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z0tx)
    I've never heard of getting into the Cambridge Maths tripos without sitting STEP!! With the exception of IMO contestants of course...
    THe IMO contestants I know were asked for STEP grades in their offers (including a resit in Year 13 for the boy who already had the grades in Year 12).

ReputationRep:
    HELLO! I'm so unbelievably excited to get an offer from Cambridge... The sum amount of sleep in the last 2 days is approximately equal to 0.

ReputationRep:
    You lot better be watching this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    From a few pages ago:

There's absolutely no harm in self-teaching some bits and bobs. If you can work a little faster in lessons and get ahead of the class, that would be perfect. But remember STEP questions don't use the whole of the A-level in every question - there are some just on differential equations, some purely on hyperbolic functions, etc. So you can do some STEP III right now! Give it a shot if you have time

(I taught myself FP2 - it can be done Which syllabus are you on? You might be able to skip a lot of FP3 for STEP... it has nothing on groups or the cross product.)
    Thank you =D and I am on Edexcel

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.