Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refrigerator)
    Do you think it's harder to get a 2 in STEP 2, or get a good enough result in the MAT for Oxford?
    I guess you mean the STEP grade for Imperial? I haven't sat STEP yet, and I was unsuccessful with Oxford but the MAT is only one part of the admissions in Oxford. I guess if you got around 80 then you would be very likely to get in, and I'd say that getting 80 on the MAT is probably more difficult than a 2 in STEP 2, though the structure of these tests it very different. In the MAT you have to do every question, and in the STEP you get a choice.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it's harder to get a 2 in STEP 2, or get a good enough result in the MAT for Oxford?
    (Original post by twig)
    ^Ask this guy^

I would personally prefer STEP because the MAT is less predictable.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that STEP 2 is far more difficult than the MAT, but I couldn't tell you which is harder to get a good result in with any sort of experience. All I'm saying is that I am bloody thankful not to have my offer rely on STEP, and to have got the MAT over with

Peoples' MAT result, while very important for the Oxford offer, is still only part of the Oxford offer. What I mean is - you can do 'okay' in the MAT (not great, but of course not poorly) and still get an interview - and if your interviews go very well, and the rest of your application is good, your MAT score might not hinder your chances of getting an offer. Once you have your Cambridge/Warwick/Bath/Imperial offer, you have to get the STEP grades, or that's it. The MAT is more flexible.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks

Is there any way I can get out of doing STEP if I'm applying for Imperial / Bath?

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks

Is there any way I can get out of doing STEP if I'm applying for Imperial / Bath?
    Usually Imperial won't ask for it. And Bath give an alternative offer which is A*AA, as opposed to the A*AB + 2 in STEP/ Merit in AEA. The only ones which are non negotiable are Cambridge and Warwick. Although Warwick let people in last year with 3. Because STEP was pretty tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Usually Imperial won't ask for it. And Bath give an alternative offer which is A*AA, as opposed to the A*AB + 2 in STEP/ Merit in AEA. The only ones which are non negotiable are Cambridge and Warwick. Although Warwick let people in last year with 3. Because STEP was pretty tough.
    Ah okay, I'm probably gonna be applying for Maths+CS at Oxford, Imperial and Bristol, and then straight maths at UCL and something else. Which straight maths ones would you recommend then that are decent but don't care too much about STEP, because I wouldn't like having an extra obstacle between the offer and the acceptance

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, I'm probably gonna be applying for Maths+CS at Oxford, Imperial and Bristol, and then straight maths at UCL and something else. Which straight maths ones would you recommend then that are decent but don't care too much about STEP, because I wouldn't like having an extra obstacle between the offer and the acceptance
    Bristol, UCL and Imperial are great choices, also Durham. For non STEP they're the best you could ask for.

ReputationRep:
    Bath is also worth a look - great university that tends not to make STEP offers (though mine is - I put it down on UCAS and it's their policy to make STEP offers when you put it down! Silly me )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icefx)
    Imperial maths offer finally but also requires a 2 in step 2 or 3 :/
    Probably because you're doing 3 A levels or you don't study A level Physics. I think that's what the admissions tutors said last time.

ReputationRep:
    Got my BMO1 back today, 16/60 :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for finally showing me some love Durham =D

OFFER YAYYYY! And on Friday 13th too. Maybe it isn't so unlucky...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)

YAY CONGRATS!!

I've been waiting aaages for Durham as well! Can I ask, which college did you apply for? When did you send your UCAS application off? + Are you applying for the 4 year course?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just impatient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayzelle)
    YAY CONGRATS!!

I've been waiting aaages for Durham as well! Can I ask, which college did you apply for? When did you send your UCAS application off? + Are you applying for the 4 year course?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just impatient
    Thanks =)

Haha its okay. I was doing the exact same thing before today.

I applied to St Aidan's (haven't got confirmation of college yet though). Sent UCAS off on Oct 7th 2011 and I did apply for the 4 year course.

ReputationRep:

Me too Congratulations! So pleased about that as my offer for bath is the Step/AEA one so the Durham one should be in theory easier to get. What college did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks =)

Haha its okay. I was doing the exact same thing before today.

I applied to St Aidan's (haven't got confirmation of college yet though). Sent UCAS off on Oct 7th 2011 and I did apply for the 4 year course.
    Oh awesome! I applied for the 4 year course as well, but I submitted my UCAS a bit later and to Butler so I guess that's why I haven't heard back yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlos the third)
    Me too Congratulations! So pleased about that as my offer for bath is the Step/AEA one so the Durham one should be in theory easier to get. What college did you apply for?
    Luckily I didn't get a STEP/AEA offer from bath. Just two AA's. Helps being in the Scottish system sometimes.

Durham offer was nicer than I thought too. I thought they would give me a A1AA offer (A1 is basically Scottish Equivalent of an A*) but nope, just AAA.

I applied to St. Aidan's but no confirmation yet of course.

(Original post by hayzelle)
    Oh awesome! I applied for the 4 year course as well, but I submitted my UCAS a bit later and to Butler so I guess that's why I haven't heard back yet!
    I'm sure you'll hear soon. I thought I wouldn't hear till March but nope!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to join laughylolly in the celebrations for a shiny Durham offer! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miller693)
    I'm going to join laughylolly in the celebrations for a shiny Durham offer! :woo:
    Wooh!!! Congrats =)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Wooh!!! Congrats =)
    Just saw the sig, Congratulations! :woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Just saw the sig, Congratulations! :woo: :woo: :woo:
    What's your astrophysics like? is it mainly qualitative?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.