Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officeface)
    It may ask you to express a complex number in mod-arg form, or vice versa (going the other way, simply expand the brackets on it - really easy). You don't do anything more with that til FP2.

Have you done (I think) C4 yet? That covers implicit differentiation and provides a much more elegant way of finding the eqn to the tangent in the parabola questions. Otherwise, here's how you do it:

y^2 = 4ax 

y = 2\sqrt{a} x^{\frac{1}{ 2}}

{\dfrac{dy}{dx}}  = {\sqrt{a} x^{\frac{-1}{2}}}

Then put in your x coordinate to get the gradient of the tangent at that point.
    Then use the equation  y-y_1 = m(x-x_1) Stick in the gradient as  m then x and y coordinates as  x_1 and  y_1 and off you go!

I don't think you need any knowledge of proofs except for induction in FP1.
    Thank you thank you thank you!!
    I dont feel too bad about this exam actually......
    No i havent done C4 yet....just finished C3 (exam on monday was hell)
    Are you doing the exam on monday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaCath94)
    Thank you thank you thank you!!
    I dont feel too bad about this exam actually......
    No i havent done C4 yet....just finished C3 (exam on monday was hell)
    Are you doing the exam on monday?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    I now (unofficially) have an A* in single maths, which is one of my conditions for cambridge done! Now comes the difficult bit....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicMan)
    I now (unofficially) have an A* in single maths, which is one of my conditions for cambridge done! Now comes the difficult bit....
    How do you know, don't grades come out in march?

EDIT: Herp derp, just read the unofficially bit:rolleyes:
    I'm in a similar position.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Until it's official, I would not say anything just yet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i feel the same lol. Although I felt edexcel C3/C4 were definitely more challenging this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    Yeh i feel the same lol. Although I felt edexcel C3/C4 were definitely more challenging this year
    Yeah definitely. C4 last year was 69 for an A. 69 will probably get 90ish this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths134)
    I think all boards are making things tougher this year. For AQA C3, C4, M2 and FP2 have been the toughest papers ever. And the C4 last June was 65/75 for 100 UMS! Scary times, but I do like a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    How do you know, don't grades come out in march?

EDIT: Herp derp, just read the unofficially bit:rolleyes:
    I'm in a similar position.

Same I hope, I feel like I must have neared 100% at least but you can never be too sure

Did a bit of STEP II this morning, didn't go great but I misread a quite easy question which made me go wrong massively, and I wasn't putting much effort in honestly.

Need to ease into it until I'm ready to plough through questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    I think all boards are making things tougher this year. For AQA C3, C4, M2 and FP2 have been the toughest papers ever. And the C4 last June was 65/75 for 100 UMS! Scary times, but I do like a challenge.
    I'd agree with this, though I thought C4 was quite ordinary/easy. FP2 on AQA was an absolute killer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I'd agree with this, though I thought C4 was quite ordinary/easy. FP2 on AQA was an absolute killer
    Personally I could handle everything, except for the evil 6 marker at the end (damn you vectors!). M2 is meant to be extremely standard every year. That was not the case this year. Just hoping grade boundaries are nice to get me into the 90s. Aha yeah, my teachers were screwing when they saw FP2. Told us to watch out come June. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officeface)
    Yep
    Good luck!
    How you feeling about it?

ReputationRep:
    I have FP1 on monday....must be a different exam board! :eek:
    Good luck!
    Yeah I'm on the welsh board (WJEC) hope its kind!! you ready for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwenllian94)
    Yeah I'm on the welsh board (WJEC) hope its kind!! you ready for it?
    Ahh i'm doing edexcel.....
    Ermm sort of...i've been getting low Bs in the past papers so hopefully over the weekend i can iron out the mistakes! Would love an A!

ReputationRep:
    I have all my offers for maths, now. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Grrrrr, Imperial...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by croag)
    I have all my offers for maths, now. :-)
    Well done
    Where did you apply? any ideas on firm yet?
    I've got 4/5 offers

ReputationRep:
    Grrrrr, Imperial...
    Still no offer?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh i'm doing edexcel.....
    Ermm sort of...i've been getting low Bs in the past papers so hopefully over the weekend i can iron out the mistakes! Would love an A!
    Yeah I've been able to scrape an A in some of the hard papers! Cross fingers that they're nice don't like doing the mathematical induction question, so hope that ones alright! Good luck to you on monday!

ReputationRep:
    Grrrrr, Imperial...
    They haven't updated my UCAS either...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.